FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ePassport Gates Master Thread [was: Opening up the e-Gates to new countries]
Old May 23, 2019, 5:04 pm
GM1985

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thomathy
Does anyone else have this problem, with the little paper join section being easily damaged over time? And does anyone happen to know if the design may ever change back to a more robust material?
I got a new passport last year and felt the same as you - that the new design felt less robust than the older card style. No problems as yet, but I have my doubts on whether the paper will last the full 10 years it’s meant to.

Originally Posted by Thomathy
Not very keen on the remaining nine years waiting in the manual processing queue. Passport office seemed pretty clear that I “should not” apply for a new passport but less clear as to whether I “could not”.

I suppose technically there’s nothing preventing you from reporting the passport as damaged, or lost, and applying for a new one (and paying for the pleasure!)

One health warning: a former boss was notorious for losing or damaging passports, leaving them in hotels, taxis, seat pockets or having them dry-cleaned. It got to the stage that they were only entitled to a restricted validity passport of 12 months, and have to reapply and pay the full fee each year. A one-off replacement shouldn’t raise any alarms, but worth bearing in mind that repeat requests for replacements can have consequences.