Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I briefly thought about the business class fare bargains to London, but decided I didn't want to deal with the LHR immigration and customs lines.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I briefly thought about the business class fare bargains to London, but decided I didn't want to deal with the LHR immigration and customs lines.
Actually, LHR has been coping well this week. The media were all hanging around waiting for chaos but nothing happened. If anything it's flowing better than usual due to the extra staff on duty.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well I booked for the weekend after the closing ceremonies, before I read about the immigration horrors!

But yes, the hotels are borderline reasonable. I think even the Waldorf was something like US$250, but I refuse to stay at any Hilton properties...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I'm seeing midweek Government Rates of £118 including breakfast + VAT at several Holiday Inn's (not expresses) in the Kensington and Regents Park area this week including Thursday. These are the standard prices. Couple of weeks I was struggling to get anything for less than £300 at the same hotels.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
This is looking quite feisty...

Malmaison on offer pretty much every night from now until the end of September via Secret Escapes for £125 or £135 B&B, incl. VAT.

If you're not an SE member there's a link in my blog (below) that will get you a further £15 credit for joining.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
I don't recall seeing this about the Chase Visa Lounge. It's on Pall Mall and open daily with no charge.

https://www.visaviplounge.com/chase/index.cfm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:19 pm

Been following hotels religiously, finally pulled the trigger on Hotwire. 4* in Westminster for $158 plus taxes, got the Doubletree Westminster. There is a decent condo in Bayswater area for $130/nt plus taxes for my nights which betterbidding.com said was the grand plaza.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by Bud Florida
I don't recall seeing this about the Chase Visa Lounge. It's on Pall Mall and open daily with no charge.

https://www.visaviplounge.com/chase/index.cfm
You'd probably be excused for missing it, as it had drifted down to page 2, but there's a thread on this already:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-olympics.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:21 am

A person from one of the tourist promotion agencies (not sure which as I missed the intro) said this morning on BBC Breakfast that hotel occupancy levels in London this year are broadly similar to last year at around 80%. Prices too are now comparable for last minute bookings, but are still higher for more than a week away.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:47 am

I've found London hotel prices for games dates to be BELOW what they have traditionally been for July/August bookings and with far better availability.

This has changed significantly in the last week or so. Prior to that, nearly everything was showing sold out or availability only at ridiculously high prices.

I just booked 2 nights at a Hilton property for £51 plus VAT. I've never seen it below £70 in the past and usually in the £120 range.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
All your 5-ring circus bargains in one place now...

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Prepaid rates at the Hyatt Churchill for late August dropped from 320+VAT a night yesterday to 256+VAT today. Regular rates dropped too, but so far no special rates (senior, auto club, etc) seem to be available.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Prepaid rates at the Hyatt Churchill for late August dropped from 320+VAT a night yesterday to 256+VAT today. Regular rates dropped too, but so far no special rates (senior, auto club, etc) seem to be available.
Aside from a moderately nice club lounge, I feel this property is a bit 'seedy' after the room adjoining mine was used as a brothel, but otherwise Secret Escapes is offering the Malmaison at Farringdon for £125 a night incl tax & breakfast - a far nicer experience than the Hyatt IMO (and a good few miles closer to the Olympic Park). Oh, and a far better breakfast as well...

ps. I do not work for secret escapes.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the Hoxton have now loaded FANCLUB rates for the whole of August. Between £49 and £99, incl VAT!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: various
Not Surprised--This Happens Every Olympics

There is always tons of excess last-minute hotel inventory just before the Olympics. Doesn't matter what city.
1) The normal tourist crowds unconnected with the Olympics defer their travel
2) Businesses move venues for meetings and conferences to other cities, or defer until after the Games.
3) Corporations that advance block-book rooms to entertain clients from around the world and for employee rewards, don't have the numbers of guests materialize and release them back (some sell directly to any takers)

The amount of Olympic-connected traffic generated, does not more than offset all the other business lost or foregone during this time. Those unconnected with the Olympics definitely aren't going to deal with the extra hassles and high costs to try to co-exist during this time.

The experienced Olympics-attendees learned this long ago, and generally don't start looking for a room in the host city until one month before the start of the Games, some even wait until only 2 weeks before. Those who advance-booked non-refundable rooms at very high cost are the losers, but it's of their own doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.