Reload this Page >

Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:41 pm

Anyone found anything reasonable, circa £100 a night, yet? I was thinking people may be starting to dump availability as we are only a month out.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MariborKev
Anyone found anything reasonable, circa £100 a night, yet? I was thinking people may be starting to dump availability as we are only a month out.
Hampton by Hilton in Croydon is £120. Only 20 minutes on a train to Victoria.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
£100 a night is about as cheap as it gets for somewhere decent and there's going to be some pressure on rooms. Think you'll have to wait until the 11th hour for prices like that - not a month out!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
£100 a night is about as cheap as it gets for somewhere decent and there's going to be some pressure on rooms. Think you'll have to wait until the 11th hour for prices like that - not a month out!
These days you rarely get anything better than a Holiday Inn Express for £100 on a midweek night in London at any time of year!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
These days you rarely get anything better than a Holiday Inn Express for £100 on a midweek night in London at any time of year!
You can - you just need to know where to look

I frequently score the Grange at St Pauls for £99 as a (not very) top secret hotel on Lastminute.com and just before Christmas I got the Grange at Tower Hill twice for £79 on a similar wheeze.

Admittedly this is booking no more than 48hrs out, but I saw the Hilton at More London going for £99 for tonight (when I looked yesterday) and the CP Blackfriars is frequently up there for £120.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Fair enough ST, but you know when loads of rooms get "dumped" pre-event there can be an element of panic from the hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough ST, but you know when loads of rooms get "dumped" pre-event there can be an element of panic from the hotel.
Time will tell, but those bargain rates I manage to pick up in low low season only come up at the 11th hour, not weeks in advance. Hoteliers have no reason to start giving rooms away a month out. It's not perfect but Trivago can be a good place to keep an eye on these things...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:41 am

Here's an interesting piece from Reuters about this:

London hotels Olympics dream fades | Video
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:07 pm

ST and others, thanks for your help.

Just back for a few weeks at the Euros and it was around about this time prior to the tournament that hotel prices began to dive in Poland, hence the query.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Well, I've just got my usual hotel for £210 during the games. The usual coporate rate is £135, and rooms were £400 a few months ago. I thought of holding off for a couple more weeks, but decided not to take a chance.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA/AA

From the Guardian July 7,2012

• Long-haul operators report 90% drop in advance bookings
• West End theatres offer cut-price tickets
• Exclusive restaurants have tables available

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...s-slash-prices
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Obviously, I'm not the only person avoiding London during the games.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:03 am

Not only hotels - Eurostar is also having problems with selling over-priced capacity.

Just checked Friday 3rd August, for example, and 9 of the 11 trains from London to Brussels on that date are now showing fares of £39 - the lowest fare on this route. A couple of weeks ago, several of them were priced at £80+.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Greed. That's all it is. As much as I love the Games and what they stand for, I can't believe how businesses have been building up to ripping people off for those 2 weeks. High prices and the uncertain economic times means that a lot of people won't be going.

Still, it should be great for all Londeners getting cheap theater tix etc!!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by dddc
Greed. That's all it is. As much as I love the Games and what they stand for, I can't believe how businesses have been building up to ripping people off for those 2 weeks. High prices and the uncertain economic times means that a lot of people won't be going.

Still, it should be great for all Londeners getting cheap theater tix etc!!
Pigs get slaughtered and hopefully that will happen to all the hotels that were greedy.
Cheers
Howie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.