Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Another one added with quite a lot of olympic availability. It's a top secret one, but I think I know which one - Park Plaza at Westminster Bridge for £99.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by MariborKev
Anyone found any of said hotel bargains as yet?
'Bargains' is relative.

If you want cheap, look at hotels on, say, Monday 13th August which is the week AFTER. By London standards, that is a very cheap night for a Monday. eg Park Plaza County Hall is £103 + VAT. Monday 17th September is £199 + VAT.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:48 pm

Raffles,

I'm in town for the Olympics(1/8-6/8)- normal work hotel is down Canary Wharf direction and no points to play with, so looking for a "relative" bargain, given that I am going to three sessions a day in various locations and therefore will be spending no time in the hotel.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
'Bargains' is relative.

If you want cheap, look at hotels on, say, Monday 13th August which is the week AFTER.
You've lost me. How does a discussion about bargain hotel prices during the Olympics benefit from looking at prices after the games are over?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lastminute.com is offering a top secret hotel for those dates at £109 a night.

It seems to be the DoubleTree Westminster.

Best bet is to search by price and then in the description look for "This stunning hotel is close to a cultural epicenter"
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Making a quick trip to Bristol/Bath (25/26 July) to see/hear the greatest living guitarist, Richard Thompson perform.

Wouldn't even think about staying in UK during the games... no thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
You've lost me. How does a discussion about bargain hotel prices during the Olympics benefit from looking at prices after the games are over?
It was an example of how hotels are having to adapt to the changing tourist pattern this year due to the Games. In the gap between the Olympics and Paralympics, tourist and business bookings are dead (everyone is avoiding London this year) and there are no Games visitors to pick up the slack.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MariborKev
Raffles,

I'm in town for the Olympics(1/8-6/8)- normal work hotel is down Canary Wharf direction and no points to play with, so looking for a "relative" bargain, given that I am going to three sessions a day in various locations and therefore will be spending no time in the hotel.
Doubletree Westminster as per above secret deal would be OK. Five minutes walk to Jubilee Line tube which is what you need for Stratford and Greenwich,hotel is walkable to the Mall for events there.

I have booked my brother there for Sat 4th, he is off to Stratford that day.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Hilton Park Lane can be had for GBP 239 over the weekend during the Olympics. Not as cheap as some reported here, but seems like a good rate for a solid hotel in a perfect location. What would be a normal summer weekend rate for this property? Not much less I would assume.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mecabq
Hilton Park Lane can be had for GBP 239 over the weekend during the Olympics. Not as cheap as some reported here, but seems like a good rate for a solid hotel in a perfect location. What would be a normal summer weekend rate for this property? Not much less I would assume.
Unrenovated rooms are poor, hotel generally dated. Also lots of VIP's staying here over the games so you will face heavy security every time you walk in. Frankly, I would choose the Doubletree even if the prices were the same.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the Apex on London Wall is doing a secret hotel deal through Secret Escapes during the Olympics. £99/nt

When will these opaque rates start becoming transparent?????
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Looks like the Apex on London Wall is doing a secret hotel deal through Secret Escapes during the Olympics. £99/nt

When will these opaque rates start becoming transparent?????
Possibly never, if they've sold a lot of £300 non refundable rooms!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Possibly never, if they've sold a lot of £300 non refundable rooms!
You mean refundable, I assume!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You mean refundable, I assume!
Well, both really. How would you feel towards the hotel you are staying at if you knew they'd taken £300 off you for a room now selling at £99, but were refusing to refund the difference? You would hardly be a willing spender in their restaurants and bars, would you?

I doubt that anyone holding a £300 per night refundable 4-star night in London during the games has not already cancelled and rebooked, even it meant changing hotel.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
It does look like hotel prices in London are starting to fall for the Olympics. They are still more expensive than usual put now there is plenty in the £150-200/night range whereas a few months ago there was hardly anything under £250.

Last edited by Camflyer; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.