Reload this Page >

Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympic bargains galore as London's theatres and hotels slash rates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:02 pm

Doesn't help someone like my friend who has booked and paid for a non-refundable stay at a London hotel. He now finds that the prices have dropped by 30%!!!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I know this is annoying, but obviously your friend thought it was with the price he paid at the time, otherwise he wouldn't have paid it.

I, for one, am glad to see that many places are getting their just desserts for greed leading up to these games. Now all we need is for the Guardian to run a follow-up story in a few months about all of those greedy landlords who turfed out perfectly good tenants who'd been with them for years just for the (elusive) chance to make a couple of extra quid. Would be so nice to see what's gone around come back around.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by ajax
I know this is annoying, but obviously your friend thought it was with the price he paid at the time, otherwise he wouldn't have paid it.

I, for one, am glad to see that many places are getting their just desserts for greed leading up to these games. Now all we need is for the Guardian to run a follow-up story in a few months about all of those greedy landlords who turfed out perfectly good tenants who'd been with them for years just for the (elusive) chance to make a couple of extra quid. Would be so nice to see what's gone around come back around.
They already have! Here and here and here. There is one more, more on topic one that I've not been able to locate.

I live in a complex of 200+ appartments. Our lease prohibits us renting out the flats for less than 6 months. However, the freeholder is happy to consider short term rentals for the Olympics for a fee. They've also forwarded us contacts that want places for £2000 per week for 4 to 5 weeks. Trouble is, you have to virtually empty your flat in that time.

Of course, not everyone is going to bother to do it the right way... We rumbled the people in the next flat as it had turned into multiple rooms with different people renting them out. Ok, it was just the lounge, but 6 people in a 2 bed flat was against the lease. Someone had signed the rental agreement with the agency and then sublet the rooms. They were given 2 weeks to move out and thankfully left without a fuss. I wouldn't be surprised if who ever signed the rental agreeement was planning to turf them out before the Olympics anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
They already have! Here and here and here. There is one more, more on topic one that I've not been able to locate.
Ah - but I'd like to know if the scheme is going to backfire on any landlord and their greed has made them far worse off than they otherwise would have been. But thanks for the links anyway - very interesting (and disturbing) reads.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by dddc

I live in a complex of 200+ appartments. Our lease prohibits us renting out the flats for less than 6 months. However, the freeholder is happy to consider short term rentals for the Olympics for a fee. They've also forwarded us contacts that want places for £2000 per week for 4 to 5 weeks. Trouble is, you have to virtually empty your flat in that time.

Of course, not everyone is going to bother to do it the right way... We rumbled the people in the next flat as it had turned into multiple rooms with different people renting them out. Ok, it was just the lounge, but 6 people in a 2 bed flat was against the lease. Someone had signed the rental agreement with the agency and then sublet the rooms. They were given 2 weeks to move out and thankfully left without a fuss. I wouldn't be surprised if who ever signed the rental agreeement was planning to turf them out before the Olympics anyway.

Very crazy...of course my family and friends coming over for the Olympics get the best deal going...FREE!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:49 pm

not just the hotels. I live in Wash, DC and have received quite a few airline promotional emails for LHR flights for July and August. I spot checked pricing and found tickets for less than fall travel. Too bad we took our vacation in May. Maybe not too bad since we had two weeks of marvelous weather in Rome and Tuscany.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We moved our quarterly meeting next week to Manchester to avoid London, and suspect other groups are either moving meetings or not holding them in July. My flight to MAN was pretty much what I'd expect to pay during normal conditions, and an upgrade was easy to obtain.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Many thanks to the OP for posting. I checked rates at my just-before-the-Olympics-stay hotels and have shaved 55+ GBP off my original bookings.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:07 pm

Anyone found any of said hotel bargains as yet?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'm collating them into a blog (see my signature)

The Hoxton are offering the first few nights at £99 now, but they're the first decent property I've seen selling off during the olympics.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

The Hoxton are offering the first few nights at £99 now, but they're the first decent property I've seen selling off during the olympics.
Seeing the K west out by the Westfield for $90/nt for some nights on Hotwire. Not the greatest location but not awful either.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

I just the following in an email from the Hoxton:

Ssssshhhhhhh...special offer just for our Fan Club.
We're bonkers! We have a handful of rooms just for our fan club between £49 and £99 for the rest of July...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:04 pm

Good man ST,

I can get a HiE for around £100, but keeping my options open.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MariborKev
Good man ST,

I can get a HiE for around £100, but keeping my options open.
No problem. I'm trying to keep to the better hotels that I know - I dig around to avoid having to settle for £100 in a HiEx!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:37 pm

Aye, toss up is that it isn't a bad location though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.