Reload this Page >

Confessions of an immigrant: Knowledge of Life in the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions of an immigrant: Knowledge of Life in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moving over to the UK and Ireland forum for further discussion.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by trueblu
Mmm, from a quick interweb search I can't find a school founded that year that anyone's heard of
Indeed, and I need to correct myself. I had harboured a misunderstanding for a very long time. It was, however, perceived that the Lovekyn Chapel was, in some form, also an educational facility - but only dating from 1309.

http://kingstongrammar.com/index.php...1&limitstart=1

In 2011 Kingston Grammar School celebrates its 450th anniversary. On 1st March 1561 Queen Elizabeth I signed a Charter which established the “free grammar school of Queen Elizabeth, for the education training and instruction of boys and youths in grammar”. There is written evidence of a public school in Kingston at least two hundred years earlier, and some historians have suggested that the Charter was in effect putting the royal stamp on a school that had been operating off and on since the Middle Ages.
It was all very confusing
Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:58 am

Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when the BAEC forum dumps their silly reject threads over here?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by jghill
An excellent article!

Whereas http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...?newsfeed=true is just depressing, including the corker:

A Home Office official said: "It's a move away from the old one – stuff on rights, practical info that has little to do with British culture
All of this goes to prove, though, just how difficult and unrealistic it is to provide a "test" for this sort of thing. There is little point, in my opinion, in asking the candidates, for example, questions about how to apply for a driving licence in the UK or which government department deals with some particular thing (most of the people doing the test will already have sorted out their driving arrangements anyway, and the roles of government departments and the like is something that one finds out when one needs to), or questions like which city out of Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds or Newcastle has the highest proportion of the population not born in the UK (who cares?).

I think asking about British history and "culture" is a better idea, but I'm not sure how it can be sensibly achieved so that it really tests what the people organising the test want to know about the candidates.

After all, I could find out (through a book) about rights and practical things, or about history and "culture" in Romania or Singapore or wherever, but that wouldn't mean that I really know anything about life in those countries.

The introduction of the test was largely a knee-jerk reaction by the previous government, in which the current government now seems to have acquiesced, in response to the terrorist attacks of the early years of the 21st century and also partly a response to criticisms of the government over matters of immigration and nationality policy. Knee-jerk reactions rarely make good policy, so it is no surprise to me that the whole thing has proved to be flawed.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Reason077
Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when the BAEC forum dumps their silly reject threads over here?
Funnily enough I considered posting something similar, about this particular thread (but then decided against it for fear of being reprimanded - "thou shalt not comment on moderator action" and all that)

The BAEC forum, from what I understand, is a fairly close-knit community. They know each other, they have their own culture and their own in-jokes. So there they are, in the midst of a discussion, complete with the usual in-jokes, and suddenly that discussion gets dragged into a different community (one which has also developed its own culture and in-jokes). It does always feel a bit bizarre when that happens... a bit like walking into a room full of strangers.

I actually found the discussion itself quite interesting (and wouldn't use the term "silly reject") - it's just that it's clearly a discussion that is taking place within a different community.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 4:24 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think that's well put, Aviatrix.

Moderator action isn't supposed to be discussed on-thread, but in this case, it's not so much about that as how this board wants to deal with such threads, so it's worthy of more public discussion. However, I don't want to drag this thread further OT, so please let's take further comments to PM (I can start a more general discussion if need be).

My view is that it's good for BAEC to put general UK threads here, and that a good bit of non-travel discussion works well on this board. So my approach, with a thread like this, is to let it lie for a while. If it takes off, it has found a natural home. If it doesn't, perhaps it'd be more suited somewhere like OMNI/PR or Newsstand.

If you don't agree with this approach, please PM me. And, like I said, if you would like a wider, public discussion on what's included here - it's your forum, let me know (I can equally take up more general issues with senior mods).

But for now... Well, let's see what interest this thread gets here.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ;18868059
No. Life is far too short for that, Reason077.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
I think that's well put, Aviatrix.

Moderator action isn't supposed to be discussed on-thread, but in this case, it's not so much about that as how this board wants to deal with such threads, so it's worthy of more public discussion. However, I don't want to drag this thread further OT, so please let's take further comments to PM (I can start a more general discussion if need be).

My view is that it's good for BAEC to put general UK threads here, and that a good bit of non-travel discussion works well on this board. So my approach, with a thread like this, is to let it lie for a while. If it takes off, it has found a natural home. If it doesn't, perhaps it'd be more suited somewhere like OMNI/PR or Newsstand.

If you don't agree with this approach, please PM me. And, like I said, if you would like a wider, public discussion on what's included here - it's your forum, let me know (I can equally take up more general issues with senior mods).

But for now... Well, let's see what interest this thread gets here.

stut
UK & Ireland
When a perfectly good-humoured and well-conducted discussion is booted off to the heady heights of "OMNI/PR or Newsstand", access to which is restricted to the élite and the privileged, the rest of us are automatically disenfranchised.

This discriminatory action serves what purpose, may one of the great unwashed dare to ask?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
The World has changed, has it not?

I was learning Latin before my 11th birthday … why, you may ask, but it gave me a feeling for language. It didn't enhance my ability to de-coke a motorcycle engine or calculate the relevant benefits of Avios v. TPs. That came later
The only thing I was learning before my 11th birthday was how me and my siblings could knock seven shades of **** out of each other before being separated by our parents. The world has changed, as you say!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cradders
The only thing I was learning before my 11th birthday was how me and my siblings could knock seven shades of **** out of each other before being separated by our parents. The world has changed, as you say!
Ahhh … I was an only child.

However, on the positive side, it meant I eventually inherited everything
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue
People often confuse dates in their old age

Are you one of these 'famous' people?

Notable former pupils

Indeed, and I need to correct myself. I had harboured a misunderstanding for a very long time. It was, however, perceived that the Lovekyn Chapel was, in some form, also an educational facility - but only dating from 1309.

http://kingstongrammar.com/index.php...1&limitstart=1

tb

It was all very confusing
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trueblu
People often confuse dates in their old age
Are you one of these 'famous' people?
Notable former pupils
Nope.

I was asked to leave after my dismal performance in the Lower Sixth, though. I guess they don't list the 'infamous', 'idle' etc. etc.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Wouldn't be a lot better to do an English test rather than memorising that load of rubbish?

Oh and maybe test driving, check criminal backgrounds, qualifications and amount of money aswell.

Then with all that criteria make a decision.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That criterion
Those criteria

Do you have a British passport?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
But then my school was founded in 1213, and had Charters from Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

Not sure that helps, but I do accept that 'education' seems a bit different these days.
Clearly they left modesty off of the curriculum.

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Don't worry - as a British passport holder you can look forward to "interrogation by the locals" as you meet with the delightful men and women of UK Border Force as you re-enter "your" country!
Let 'em try - they can't keep you out. The purpose of the UKBA agent is to ascertain that your passport is not false and that you are the person in it. They cannot decide whether or not to let you enter the country and your purpose for being here is none of their business.

Originally Posted by PotNoodle
Wouldn't be a lot better to do an English test rather than memorising that load of rubbish?

Oh and maybe test driving, check criminal backgrounds, qualifications and amount of money aswell.

Then with all that criteria make a decision.
They already do more or less all of those things already, with the exception of qualifications. And they only check to make sure you're not going to be claiming benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.