Confessions of an immigrant: Knowledge of Life in the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions of an immigrant: Knowledge of Life in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I'm going to have to take that test next year. Wondering if I will learn anything useful or interesting.

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I've just checked and it seems my school was founded in 1963.
1798 here. Not bad for a colony, but still a young upstart compared to T8191's
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Brilliant . . . still trying to reattach my bottom! ^

Perhaps the Brits should consider including some form of "interrogation by the locals" as the Swiss do as a part of the naturalisation process.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
I have passed the test last year, became a British citizen in May, and got my British passport yesterday. Anyone who has lived for a few years in the UK and has ever read a paper is able to do 50% of the test, the rest is easily learnt from the book.
While it's true that it contains many errors (but if you buy the unofficial book, it will tell you where the mistakes are), and it's biased towards a Labour ideology, you have to think it's aimed to a very diverse target, to people coming from around the world, with very different customs than ours. For example, one of the questions is "when is Christmas"?. Seems rather obvious to us, but for someone coming from a non-Christian culture and who may have had little contact with people outside his/her circle, it might not be that obvious.
And honestly, on a global scale, the cultural differences between a Swiss and a British are minimal.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Anfield
Perhaps the Brits should consider including some form of "interrogation by the locals" as the Swiss do as a part of the naturalisation process.
Don't worry - as a British passport holder you can look forward to "interrogation by the locals" as you meet with the delightful men and women of UK Border Force as you re-enter "your" country!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I'm going to have to take that test next year. Wondering if I will learn anything useful or interesting.
There was an online practice test that I found online for a tenner. 400 questions I think. I'm sure they were from the real test because when I sat it, I finished my questions in about 3 minutes! Wish they gave you a score, not just pass/fail!

I have no objections to taking the test, or swearing alligence to the Queen (given that my birth nation had God Save the Queen as our national anthem during my school years!). I think they thought it would be like the Hollywood versions of the USA when immigrants get their citizenship, all emotional etc but most people came across as just embarrased and wanting to get their certificate. Within 30 minutes of gettng mine I was at the post office sending off for my passport. That came back in 7 days, the quickest part of the whole process!!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I have to say I would be much happier if this stuff was actually going to be taught in British schools.

(My school was founded in 1976 so not the youngest on here. It was in special measures a couple of years ago though, do I get cool points for that?)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by T8191
The World has changed, has it not?

I was learning Latin before my 11th birthday … why, you may ask
Because back in your day the Romans still had an empire?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:09 pm
Suspended

I agree the failure rate could be quite high.

But then my school was founded in 1213, and had Charters from Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

Not sure that helps, but I do accept that 'education' seems a bit different these days.
Pah, that's nothing. My school was considered so good it was officially approved.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by sts603
Which still has nothing to do with BA. And the comparison is about as reasonable as saying don't complain about beef prices because caviar is much more expensive.
So what?

Excellent piece. I laughed out loud!

I had to look up my school's long-forgotten foundation date of 1440.

1213 is the earliest foundation date I have ever heard of for a school T8191!... the university which gave me my first degree was founded in 1209. I remember that much.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by exilencfc
My school was founded in 1976
That's the year I was founded
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Hmm.... I've just checked and it seems my school was founded in 1963.

Ouch.
1859 here.

I did Common Entrance Latin in 1995. Got an A if I recall (one of 6, the other 5 were Bs...)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver

But then my school was founded in 1213, and had Charters from Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

Not sure that helps, but I do accept that 'education' seems a bit different these days.
Yes - it's a terrible thing they've done away with the cane, eh?

But seriously, I doubt that the failure rate would be quite that high. Luckily I own a lovely little red book (aka EU passport)... But OH had to take the test when he naturalised, so we studied together. Apart from the occasional lie ("all homes in the UK are connected to the sewer system" - not true; "all homes in the UK have a British Telecom telephone line" also not true) there was nothing in there that we didn't previously no... OH was quite terrified after he completed the test in 7 minutes and saw everyone else still hard at work (there's a 60 minute allowance IIRC).

The level of the questions seems to be:
Do we have a queen or a president?
A)Queen B) President....

Unless it has changed in the last 6 years....
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dddc
There was an online practice test that I found online for a tenner. 400 questions I think. I'm sure they were from the real test because when I sat it, I finished my questions in about 3 minutes! Wish they gave you a score, not just pass/fail!

I have no objections to taking the test, or swearing alligence to the Queen (given that my birth nation had God Save the Queen as our national anthem during my school years!). I think they thought it would be like the Hollywood versions of the USA when immigrants get their citizenship, all emotional etc but most people came across as just embarrased and wanting to get their certificate. Within 30 minutes of gettng mine I was at the post office sending off for my passport. That came back in 7 days, the quickest part of the whole process!!
I remember OH's citizenship ceremony. We were sent down to Lewiscum (sorry, I mean Lewisham)... There was a retired army man in full regalia who told everyone that they must send their kids to the cadets to ensure that don't "fall into crime", and a load of people who could barely pronounce the oath of allegiance, let alone comprehend it...
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA - Blue

Mmm, from a quick interweb search I can't find a school founded that year that anyone's heard of

Mine was merely 1732, also a scholarship boy who studied latin and never regretted it. Like highlife, I can lay claim to an alma mater that's (just) older than your school at least!

tb
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I suspect that 90% of Swiss nationals wouldn't pass the questions that foreigners going through the naturalization process have to get through either. Most Swiss people don't even know who their President is, though granted as the post changes every year and it's an ultra-low profile position, that isn't surprising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.