Reload this Page >

Confessions of an immigrant: Knowledge of Life in the UK

Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR

To accompany the other thread from a journalist's blog, here's another blog about a Swiss national becoming British by naturalisation, surprisingly rant-free IMO.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/...ife-in-the-uk/

I normally remain unmoved by blogs, but this one certainly appears to have the ring of truth about it. And I had no idea that there was an alternative date for the Magna Carta.

YQ on BA redemptions is as nothing compared to the fee increases charged by HMG for certain immigration services.
(See what I did there? Tried to mention an on topic detail in an off topic post. )
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Roger
To accompany the other thread from a journalist's blog, here's another blog about a Swiss national becoming British by naturalisation, surprisingly rant-free IMO.

I normally remain unmoved by blogs, but this one certainly appears to have the ring of truth about it. And I had no idea that there was an alternative date for the Magna Carta.

YQ on BA redemptions is as nothing compared to the fee increases charged by HMG for certain immigration services.
(See what I did there? Tried to mention an on topic detail in an off topic post. )
Which still has nothing to do with BA. And the comparison is about as reasonable as saying don't complain about beef prices because caviar is much more expensive.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:50 am

...funniest thing I've ever read about that test is this:

Life in the UK includes a 25-page, 11,000-word introduction to British history written by the late professor Sir Bernard Crick. He defended it from criticism from the Historical Association that it was "a bizarre tour of British history" by saying it was written for immigrants and their language teachers and was not an official history.

Crick also revealed in 2006 that he resisted pressure from the then home secretary, David Blunkett, to include history questions in the test: "I refused, both in principle and on grounds of practicality: could any test for immigrants be devised that 80% of our fellow citizens would not fail?" he said.
Maybe all UK school-leavers should all sit the test? To check its fairness?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I agree the failure rate could be quite high.

But then my school was founded in 1213, and had Charters from Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.

Not sure that helps, but I do accept that 'education' seems a bit different these days.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:57 am

An excellent article!

Whereas http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...?newsfeed=true is just depressing, including the corker:

A Home Office official said: "It's a move away from the old one – stuff on rights, practical info that has little to do with British culture
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by T8191
But then my school was founded in 1213, and had Charters from Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.
Hmm.... I've just checked and it seems my school was founded in 1963.

Ouch.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Hmm.... I've just checked and it seems my school was founded in 1963.

Ouch.
Nothing personal, and in my case a simple case of geography and a scholarship.

I just posted that to highlight the enormous disparity in education establishments in the UK … and age doesn't make them any better

The OH's alma mater rates in the top 10 … my old place struggles to be in the top 100
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
My school was founded in 1979 it transpires, so perhaps that makes me somewhat of a dullard. Still, it could be worse: I can access Wikipedia with sufficient competence to find out said information, so all is not lost!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sts603
Which still has nothing to do with BA. And the comparison is about as reasonable as saying don't complain about beef prices because caviar is much more expensive.
Is this your first contribution to this forum?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Maybe all UK school-leavers should all sit the test?
Maybe all UK school-leavers should sit and pass the test before they're allowed to vote.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cradders
My school was founded in 1979 it transpires, so perhaps that makes me somewhat of a dullard. Still, it could be worse: I can access Wikipedia with sufficient competence to find out said information, so all is not lost!
The World has changed, has it not?

I was learning Latin before my 11th birthday why, you may ask, but it gave me a feeling for language. It didn't enhance my ability to de-coke a motorcycle engine or calculate the relevant benefits of Avios v. TPs. That came later
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Maybe all UK school-leavers should sit and pass the test before they're allowed to vote.
Maybe all MPs should sit the test and if they can't all pass it gets scrapped...? or at least re-written until they can all pass it?!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
My wife passed this the year before last. Beforehand I ordered the practice materials online and had them delivered to my work. Passed it round the office and most of my (white, British) colleagues struggled to pass a test!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:46 pm

Goodness - when I got my Brit citizenship back in '95, I filled in a form and the only check after that was when a nice chap from Liverpool called to ask if I had a police record (the answer was no and he said they didn't need to check further). Perhaps the *test* was that I could sufficiently understand "scouse"?

T819, we also learnt Latin at school down in the colonies of NZ... as recently as - oh, maybe not so recently. I keep thinking the '80s were last week.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CreativeBill
T8191, we also learnt Latin at school down in the colonies of NZ... as recently as - oh, maybe not so recently. I keep thinking the '80s were last week.
There you go, mate. A decent Colonial ... albeit a young one ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.