Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
President Erdoğan has recently announced that for the next two weeks, inter-city travel within Turkey is banned effective tomorrow 19:00. There would be exemptions made for essential travel.

More details to come when the Ministry of Interior publishes an official statement.

My opinion would be that foreigners would be exempt from the restrictions and nothing yet prohibiting international travel for Turkish citizens.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
Yes I listened to the speech. I do not think it will effect International travelers. Yet all restaurants will be closed , just delivery. Guests in their Hotels will be able to use The Restaurants but no outsiders will be allowed. I am supposed to fly from JFK on the 13th for a week but I may postpone the Trip.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:25 am

They also have not announced what the PCR Requirements are after the 15th of April for entry.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
Yes I listened to the speech. I do not think it will effect International travelers. Yet all restaurants will be closed , just delivery. Guests in their Hotels will be able to use The Restaurants but no outsiders will be allowed. I am supposed to fly from JFK on the 13th for a week but I may postpone the Trip.
Most likely, things would open up after the Ramadan holiday as tourism season would start. You would notice that case numbers would drastically drop by then but it would be better if you postpone your trip by 1 or 2 weeks.

They also have not announced what the PCR Requirements are after the 15th of April for entry.
Yes, no official announcement regarding 15 April & onwards.
Most likely the requirement would be postponed indefinitely until further notice.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:54 am

Thank you ISTFlyer. Question: I was originally booked Business Class on different flights. I had bought the ticket through American Express at the discounted price of $ 2800.00 when they had a 40% fare sale in January. The flights were cancelled by TK both outbound and inbound so I had contacted American Express and they had received Waiver Codes from TK and changed the flights to the Current ones. Now, if I cancel these flights and change the date to a later date, do I have to pay the fare difference ?? It is still Business Class. Do I have to do this through AMEX or can I call TK and change the flights ??
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you ISTFlyer. Question: I was originally booked Business Class on different flights. I had bought the ticket through American Express at the discounted price of $ 2800.00 when they had a 40% fare sale in January. The flights were cancelled by TK both outbound and inbound so I had contacted American Express and they had received Waiver Codes from TK and changed the flights to the Current ones. Now, if I cancel these flights and change the date to a later date, do I have to pay the fare difference ?? It is still Business Class. Do I have to do this through AMEX or can I call TK and change the flights ??
Yes, you would be responsible for any fare difference and you would lose the 40% discount as this would be a voluntary change.
Unless you specifically request to be rebooked in Economy Class, you would be rebooked in Business Class.

Also as you have booked through AMEX, you would need to contact them.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:08 pm

Ok thank you. I will wait to see what happens in the coming weeks and decide accordingly. I may change it to an OPEN TICKET and wait.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the statement by the Ministry of Interior;

The negative COVID-19 test requirement for entering Turkey has been extended until 31 May 2021.
Everyone in Turkey could still use public transportation means ( airplane, rail, ferry, bus ) to travel between two cities but it wouldn't be possible to travel with personal vehicles for non-essential purposes.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
TK cancelled my June 3 BOS-IST leg but kept my IST-BJV and return flights. Any way that I can get them to give me 2 biz seats on June 2 or 4 flights which are still flying? I purchased the award tickets with the 30% off sale so I'd like to keep the trip. I know I should just call and ask but I'm wondering if they will push back and if I have any recourse if they do. Expertflyer does not show any awards available for either date.

Edit to say: I know Turkey isn't doing well with the Pandemic and I might not be able or even want to go. But I like having cancellable options and I'd really like to visit Bodrum and Istanbul in June.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joachimm
TK cancelled my June 3 BOS-IST leg but kept my IST-BJV and return flights. Any way that I can get them to give me 2 biz seats on June 2 or 4 flights which are still flying? I purchased the award tickets with the 30% off sale so I'd like to keep the trip. I know I should just call and ask but I'm wondering if they will push back and if I have any recourse if they do. Expertflyer does not show any awards available for either date.

Edit to say: I know Turkey isn't doing well with the Pandemic and I might not be able or even want to go. But I like having cancellable options and I'd really like to visit Bodrum and Istanbul in June.
If TK cancelled your flight, there shouldn't be any issues rebooking to a date without award availability. However, hotline agents might not open award availability so you might need to fill out a feedback form on the TK website or contact a sales office for that.

By the way, the cases numbers in Turkey would most likely decrease in June and restrictions would be softened.
DaveS and joachimm like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:11 pm
oil

No idea if this is the right place to post this, so please move this question to another thread if more appropriate for somewhere else:

We are flying LAX-IST-VIE and back in July.
TK just cancelled the IST-VIE flight. When I looked into it I realized that the specific flight they cancelled (a 9pm flight) wasn't actually happening already for at least 2 weeks (when we were booking). I am guessing they sold us tickets for a flight that they knew wouldn't happen. We are traveling with 2 small kids, so we don't have an option to sleep at the airport. So I guess the only option is to change our first flight (LAX- IST) to earlier in the day in order to catch an earlier IST-VIE flight. Now my questions:
- Will we be able to change to the earlier flight if they were the ones cancelling the second one and thus making our trip impossible if the price is higher for the new ticket?
- How the he** do I reach anyone at TK? I have been unsuccessfully phoning them for hours now, trying all sorts of different hotlines.

Thanks for any kind of help in advance!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 5:22 pm
oil

Originally Posted by oil
No idea if this is the right place to post this, so please move this question to another thread if more appropriate for somewhere else:

TK just cancelled the IST-VIE flight. When I looked into it I realized that the specific flight they cancelled (a 9pm flight) wasn't actually happening already for at least 2 weeks (when we were booking). I am guessing they sold us tickets for a flight that they knew wouldn't happen. We are traveling with 2 small kids, so we don't have an option to sleep at the airport. So I guess the only option is to change our first flight (LAX- IST) to earlier in the day in order to catch an earlier IST-VIE flight. Now my questions:
- Will we be able to change to the earlier flight if they were the ones cancelling the second one and thus making our trip impossible if the price is higher for the new ticket?
- How the he** do I reach anyone at TK? I have been unsuccessfully phoning them for hours now, trying all sorts of different hotlines.

Update and add:
Our flight back also doesn't exist anymore. We just checked the time table and the flight doesn't exist anymore neither. What are our rights? The itinerary is 'technically' not impossible, but all the options that are left are itineraries that are 30+ hours, which is impossible to fly with a 1 and 3 year old....
Do we have any rights about this?
Old Apr 16, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oil

Originally Posted by oil
Update and add:
Our flight back also doesn't exist anymore. We just checked the time table and the flight doesn't exist anymore neither. What are our rights? The itinerary is 'technically' not impossible, but all the options that are left are itineraries that are 30+ hours, which is impossible to fly with a 1 and 3 year old....
Do we have any rights about this?
Your rights are to convert your ticket to an open ticket and fly until 31 March 2022 without paying any other fare difference. You could also rebook yourself without any charge and fare difference without converting your ticket to open status.

You could also get a full refund.

If you are considering to fly the 30h+ option, assuming that the layover is over 9 hours for Business Class and 12 hours for Economy Class and assuming that is the shortest possible combination, TK would provide you a hotel room for the layover, however, this would be a city hotel and visa costs for Turkey ( if applicable for your nationality ) would need to covered by yourself.
oil likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:23 am
oil

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Your rights are to convert your ticket to an open ticket and fly until 31 March 2022 without paying any other fare difference. You could also rebook yourself without any charge and fare difference without converting your ticket to open status.

You could also get a full refund.

If you are considering to fly the 30h+ option, assuming that the layover is over 9 hours for Business Class and 12 hours for Economy Class and assuming that is the shortest possible combination, TK would provide you a hotel room for the layover, however, this would be a city hotel and visa costs for Turkey ( if applicable for your nationality ) would need to covered by yourself.
Thank you for that explanation. We are in Economy. So TK would only need to provide a hotel if the layover was over 12h? That's obviously ridiculous since we are traveling with the two small kids...
When we called them earlier, they changed our flight to VIE, but pretended that for the way back all is good and normal. But I can't see the flight that is 'supposed to happen' anywhere on their website anymore, it's not bookable...so is it safe to assume that in a couple of weeks I will get a cancellation email for that flight too?
We did not want to cancel the whole ticket right away because then it would mean us cancelling and we were afraid that that would take all our rights to claim a refund.
But you are saying that if this is happening, we would be entitled for a refund, do I understand that correctly?
Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
I booked online award ticket business class LIS-DEL for travel in June. Yesterday I got message that one leg of flight (LIS-IST) Cancelled , contact call centre. I tried online after log in Miles n Smiles but on manage my booking shows Talk to call centre... no option for cancel. Tried calling Cal centre number of times , but Call put on indefinitely hold. I want to cancel this ward ticket and get refund. Please advice how to proceed. Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.