Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 11:48 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-b...irus-outbreak/
Also, see the "Options if your travel is affected" part of this WIKI for your travel options. The answers to most questions are there.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines. Customer service hotlines of all airlines are extremely jammed right now, please be patient. If your flight is not in less than 72 hours wait!

TK operate some rescue flights for Turkish citizens. Please check with the local embassy for further details.

Travel restrictions due to coronavirus (COVID-19)

TK and AnadoluJet have cancelled all domestic flights until 4 June 2020.
TK and AnadoluJet have cancelled all international flights until 10 June 2020.

When flights are 100% resuming and an initial schedule is published, a new thread related to destinations operating would be opened for your convenience.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks. The information here was last updated on 21 May 2020 13:45 GMT

Options if your travel is affected:

If your flights have been cancelled:

You have the option for a free rebooking, a travel voucher, Miles&Smiles miles or a full refund.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. Also, if you decide to convert your ticket to open-jaw, you would still ask to have a full refund until 2 months after the pandemic ends; however, this option is not available if you rebook your flight to another date.
Travel voucher: You have the travel option worth %115 what you have paid for the unused portion of your ticket. The voucher could be claimed via the call center and a sales office and only could be used at a sales office. The voucher could not be redeemed online or via the hotline. ( This option is back again )
Miles&Smiles miles: You have the option to get miles for cancelled flights which you could use until 31 December 2023. For every 10 euros of your unused portion of your ticket, you have the option of getting 1000 Miles&Smiles miles. The miles could be asked from a sales office or via the hotline when cancelling flights. If you ask for miles, you have no right to get a refund. Be aware that by taking this option, you will not earn status or bonus miles on any flight that has been paid for with the miles.
Full refund: You would also have the option of taking a full refund, however, according to the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision, the refund would be made 2 months after the pandemic ends ( earliest 10 August 2020 )

If your flight has not been cancelled and there is a waiver active for your destination

If there is a waiver active for your destination, you have the same rights as a
cancelled passenger, however, the miles and voucher worth %115 of the ticket option is not available.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. Also, if you decide to convert your ticket to open-jaw, you would still ask to have a full refund until 2 months after the pandemic ends; however, this option is not available if you rebook your flight to another date.
Full refund: You would also have the option of taking a full refund, however, according to the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision, the refund would be made 2 months after the pandemic ends ( earliest 10 August 2020 )

If your flight has not been cancelled and there is no waiver active for your destination

If there is no waiver to your destination and your flight operates, unfortunately, you are not entitled to a full refund, however, you still have the right for a free rebooking or an open jaw conversion. Refunds would be made according to the fare rules and it would be made 2 months after the pandemic situation ends.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. The fare difference would be waived only once, so before making a change think accordingly. If a rebooking is asked, this must be made before 31 December 2020 or before the first flight on the ticket.

Information about Refunds

TK is currently not offering refunds, and according to the statement of the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate, they are exempt to issue refunds until 2 months later than the flight restrictions end. That's why the refund option would not work on the TK website.

However, some local regulations ( US DoT, EC261/2004 and many others ) apply in the case if your flight departs from an applicable country. You could file a complaint to the respective body in this case, if TK still refuses to refund within the given period of the local regulation.

Another alternative would be to initiate a chargeback from your credit card. However, a remark that this may not be allowed for some credit cards in some regions.

Image showing that the feedback form related to refunds does not work. This is not working on purpose and would open 2 months open after the flight restrictions end.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 25, 20, 8:52 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum

TK have announced that all China (mainland) flights are suspended until 29 February. In addition all Iran flights, except Tehran, are suspended too.

Entry to Turkey for passengers that were in China or Iran:
In addition, due to the decree by the Turkish official authorities, foreign citizens who were in China and Qom city of Iran in the last 14 days will not be granted entry to Turkey.
Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 25, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: M&S
By today no flights to Tehran too..
Old Feb 29, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
Flight Cancellations

By tonight no Italy or Iraq or South Korea
raporot likes this.

Last edited by Dave69NewYork; Feb 29, 20 at 1:50 pm Reason: Addition
Old Mar 1, 20, 10:53 pm

Programs: SK*D
Currently, Italy frequency is reduced from 10MAR onwards. I am flying AI DEL-FCO on 18MAR and after a night in Rome, I am flying FCO-IST on 19MAR on TK. I'm wondering what are the odds that my flights remain the way they are.

Also, I'm worried about having to quarantine in Istanbul, has anyone experienced any additional scrutiny for Italy arrivals?
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:57 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Turkish Airlines announced on Sunday it has temporarily canceled all flights to Italy because of the coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/tur...-italy/1750357
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat; Le Club AccorHotels Silver, A3 Gold
I'm currently living in Italy and i have a ticket from ATH to LIS via IST

How i proceed to cancel this ticket and get the refund? No one answer, and i guess calling their international call center can be expensive?

Thanks for the help
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by AurelAF96 View Post

How i proceed to cancel this ticket and get the refund? No one answer, and i guess calling their international call center can be expensive?

Thanks for the help
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i.../get-in-touch/
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
As i said both Milan and Athens call center don't answer
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:39 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
As a last resort go the local ticket office/any ticket office near you
AurelAF96 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
As a last resort go the local ticket office/any ticket office near you
Thank you, the italian office can deal with an EX-ATH booking?
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards

Thanks for the help
I think you are out of luck. Even though you live in Italy, your ticket does not involve Italy so TK would probably deny your refund claim. You could simply call your travel insurance ( if you have one ).
And, the sales offices in Italy would be able to help you with this booking, as they should be expecting a high number of calls and e-mails at the moment, it would be better if you visit them in person.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
I think you are out of luck. Even though you live in Italy, your ticket does not involve Italy so TK would probably deny your refund claim. You could simply call your travel insurance ( if you have one ).
And, the sales offices in Italy would be able to help you with this booking, as they should be expecting a high number of calls and e-mails at the moment, it would be better if you visit them in person.
I can't ask for a refund whereas i'm not allowed to board my flight because i was in Italy?
If so they have to reroute me no?

EU rules cannot help me with that also because my flight is in less than 14 days?
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
I can't ask for a refund whereas i'm not allowed to board my flight because i was in Italy?
If so they have to reroute me no?

EU rules cannot help me with that also because my flight is in less than 14 days?
You can't ask a ticket refund without penalties as Athens - Istanbul - Lisbon does not involve Italy or any of the affected countries in it.
Currently, where are you and how are you planning to go to Greece, with a separate ticket or is there an Italy - Istanbul - Athens sector operated by TK in the same ticket?

And, yes unless your flights are canceled EU rules could not help you.
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
You can't ask a ticket refund without penalties as Athens - Istanbul - Lisbon does not involve Italy or any of the affected countries in it.
Currently, where are you and how are you planning to go to Greece, with a separate ticket or is there an Italy - Istanbul - Athens sector operated by TK in the same ticket?

And, yes unless your flights are canceled EU rules could not help you.
I'm coming to ATH from Milan on a separate ticket (AZ one)

Yes i'm agreed with you that my TK ticket does not involve Italy, but i will (i think) be denied boarding because i was in Italy. But my ticket was booked one month ago, so way before that, how TK cannot refund or at least change the ticket?
Old Mar 3, 20, 9:20 am

I'm coming to ATH from Milan on a separate ticket (AZ one)

Yes i'm agreed with you that my TK ticket does not involve Italy, but i will (i think) be denied boarding because i was in Italy. But my ticket was booked one month ago, so way before that, how TK cannot refund or at least change the ticket?
There is no indication that Italian citizens are not allowed to fly to Turkey; only direct flights from Italy to Turkey are canceled. By the way, there would be no Italy stamps in your passport as MXP/LIN-ATH is Schengen.

You could give a shot to change or cancel your ticket, but the hotline may not be able to help you and I would suggest you to visit a sales office where you are. You could either visit the Malpensa office, the Milan city office or where ever you want. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts that they should be receiving a high number of calls and e-mails, so it's best to visit them in person.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: