Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
I turned one of my cancelled flights into an open ticket as well, no email confirmation and not visible online on My flights. They told me to refer to the ticket number when I call to make the new booking.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Originally Posted by aapee
I turned one of my cancelled flights into an open ticket as well, no email confirmation and not visible online on My flights. They told me to refer to the ticket number when I call to make the new booking.
Thanks. Already planning for the New Year, in the hope that some semblance of normality has returned.

TBH, they could have just let me take a refund and pocketed the 300 Euros in cancellation fees, but their Customer Service Call Centre staff have been more than helpful at every stage of my trip chopping, changing and, finally, collapsing.
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:55 am

Positive experience with the refund process here: flights (for beginning of September) were cancelled 2 weeks ago. I requested a refund last Monday and full amount back on my credit card 3 days later.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Another refund data point.

J redemption booking for 2:

Flight date 10 Jun 20
Flights cancelled by TK 18 May 20
Refund requested same day, miles refunded same day
Refund of taxes and fees received 7 Aug 20
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Another refund data point.

J redemption booking for 2:

Flight date 10 Jun 20
Flights cancelled by TK 18 May 20
Refund requested same day, miles refunded same day
Refund of taxes and fees received 7 Aug 20
They are definitely processing refunds. I have received almost all my refunds now.

According to the hotline, one of my bookings is "broken" and I need to visit a sales office.
Due to too many changes (schedule, flight, destination) the currency on the booking reverted to Turkish Lira (was originally Euro) and now the Hotline cannot process the refund anymore
Haven't heard that before but don't mind going to a sales office next time I am at an airport.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
There are allegedly 2 rapid PCR testing facilities at IST, anyone know where they are, and whether the results can be used to board flights for countries that require a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer8939
There are allegedly 2 rapid PCR testing facilities at IST, anyone know where they are, and whether the results can be used to board flights for countries that require a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding?
I used one that is in the international terminal (landside at the end of the arrivals hall) to enter Croatia.

Cost was 200 TL and took 4-5 hours for result (I went the day before the flight).
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Originally Posted by baleron
I used one that is in the international terminal (landside at the end of the arrivals hall) to enter Croatia.

Cost was 200 TL and took 4-5 hours for result (I went the day before the flight).
Thanks for the really useful information, in light of many countries introducing the test before arrival requirement.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GlenP
Thanks for the really useful information, in light of many countries introducing the test before arrival requirement.
Agreed! For reference, I took the test at Bodrum (BJV) airport. Took 29 hours for the results to arrive. It remains to be seen if laboratory capacities will be sufficient to at least maintain such a turnaround time if tourist numbers increase. Especially as for flights from Turkey to Germany the test result now needs to be shown for boarding already (they actually wanted to see it at check-in already).
Overall good process however. You can access the results via the website of the Turkish health authorities and you get a certificate in both Turkish and English.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, Air Canada Aeroplan
I finally got my refund today - waiting since March 13. It took many calls to TK and today they said I had to go to a TK sales office in Toronto. Fortunately, it's located in the downtown core and easy to get to. After a 30-minute discussion, I got my refund sent to my credit card. Needless to say, there was zero communication from TK about this and their call centers are rude and unhelpful. I don't think I'll be flying with them again.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Turkish Airlines in this week’s schedule update delayed planned service addition to Newark and Vancouver. Previously scheduled from 21AUG20 and 02SEP20 respectively, both services are now tentatively scheduled to commence in October 2020.

Istanbul – Newark eff 02OCT20 1 daily A330-300
Istanbul – Vancouver eff 04OCT20 3 weekly 787-9
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
2nd rebook

Hello

My flights got cancelled. I rebooked them to a later date. What happens if this flights get cancelled again ?
Can I do a 2nd rebook or even a refund ?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Hello

My flights got cancelled. I rebooked them to a later date. What happens if this flights get cancelled again ?
Can I do a 2nd rebook or even a refund ?
Yes, you could get a refund if your flights get cancelled again.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
I was talking to Tk airline so I can cancel our Sept 3rd trip 2020 and they told me I can not get a voucher as my travel dates is is outside Aug 31st 2020 we travel Sept 3rd 2020 and one our flights have been cancelled by the airline and was also told it will cost me around 300 per person to cancel our nonrefundable business class tickets. Now I was under the impression we can cancel without any fee or get a travel voucher instead but since out flight leaves Sept 3rd and everything is back to normal as of Aug 31st 2020.

Just an Update I called back and got a whole different response I am able to get a refund without any fees or get a voucher of 115% more or open Jaw. ISTflyer you think the first CSR was trying to save TK some money?

Last edited by Ramz; Aug 17, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Ramz
I was talking to Tk airline so I can cancel our Sept 3rd trip 2020 and they told me I can not get a voucher as my travel dates is is outside Aug 31st 2020 we travel Sept 3rd 2020 and one our flights have been cancelled by the airline and was also told it will cost me around 300 per person to cancel our nonrefundable business class tickets. Now I was under the impression we can cancel without any fee or get a travel voucher instead but since out flight leaves Sept 3rd and everything is back to normal as of Aug 31st 2020.
You could convert your ticket to an open-ticket and re-use it in a later date, without any penalty. However, you would still need to pay the fare difference.
By the way, an open ticket and a voucher are completely different things.

Also, if one of your flights are cancelled and if you haven't confirmed any alternative travel ( another date, another flight, etc... ) you are entitled to a full refund without any penalty. If you have made any changes after the cancellation, I am sorry to tell you that you could only cancelled your ticket by paying the cancellation fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.