Miles and Smile down November 17 - 19

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold

Just got this:

Dear Member,

In order to give you a better service, we are maintaining Miles&Smiles, Frequent Flyer Program of Turkish Airlines. Due to infrastracture works, our system will be out of service between 17 - 19 November. In the meantime, you will not be able to log in to your membership account and will not have access from any channels including our sales offices, agents and call center.
We kindly request that you perform all your transactions, such as award ticket issuance, upgrade services and shopping at shopandmiles.com, outside of the specified date range.

Thank you for your understanding.

Miles&Smiles
The e-mail header says "System Transition Announcement".

Anyone knows is it about?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
No clue, but I’m saving screenshots of my balance and bookings for my flights this weekend, just in case!
Sinter likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:09 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Miles&Smiles outage

Got this in my inbox. Apparently no M&S transactions can be done between 17-19 November.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Hope it is not about introducing also new enhancements
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:17 pm

Merge posts?

re: enhancements: I wouldn’t be surprised, it’s a pretty generous program compared to most others.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
No clue, but I’m saving screenshots of my balance and bookings for my flights this weekend, just in case!
nice one!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How exactly is it generous? Roughly the exact same as every European carrier for short haul, long haul upgrade and ticket levels actually quite high, and the same lesser earning levels as other programs. Roughly the same in extra baggage, but HAS three year expiration of miles, even if you are top elite which no serious program has, also charges elites for Emergency exit reservations, and is somewhat convoluted to use with alliance partners.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
How exactly is it generous? Roughly the exact same as every European carrier for short haul, long haul upgrade and ticket levels actually quite high, and the same lesser earning levels as other programs. Roughly the same in extra baggage, but HAS three year expiration of miles, even if you are top elite which no serious program has, also charges elites for Emergency exit reservations, and is somewhat convoluted to use with alliance partners.
You do have some valid points, but I mostly meant generous as in ease of (re)qualification compared to decidedly stingy FFP’s.

EDIT: Please do let us know what you would count as a “SERIOUS” FFP.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Nov 17, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I'm guessing because of 2 years validity of status, no requirement to earn qualifying
​miles within a calendar year, but just past 12 months, soft landing to next level if you do not requalify, easy requalification with less milage requirement etc. Once you are elite plus, just need 60,000 miles in 2 years to requalify.

​​​​​
​​​​
​​​​
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I was not including ME3 carriers as they are worse in so many ways. I was referring to pretty much every European and US trunk carrier. Honestly I did not really say anything about the 40k/60k thing because I generally polish off the 40k in a couple of months and my 2 year rolliong is normally between 100-200k so it really does not matter to me.

What I know is this, as a TK E+ in a situation where I am buying a last minute Y fare for 1000 EUR, I am unable to reserve an Emergency Exit seat within 48 hours for neither love nor money, and some guy who paid 100 EUR sand who flies once a decade, will probably get the seat because if its free he'll be at the airport 4 hours before. Oh, and if I do buy the ticket more than 48 hours before AND apy for it (something no other airline makes its top tier elites do), if they swap the aircraft, which happens all the time especially lately, they will not bother to change my seat to what is now an Emergency Exit, neither the TGS people nor the crew will really care, and I have to suffer the indignity of repeatedly writing in for a refund and get inane answers back like, "But you did receive your assigned seat 21A, so we will not refund you" despite the fact that it is clear that 21A is a great EE seat on an A321, as I booked it, but is a garbage seat on a 737.......

I also know that while BA, AF, KL, LH, AA, IB, DL, UA, and pretty much every serious carrier will bend over backwards to FIM their top tier pax onto whatever airline is flying the route in an IRROPS situation, with TK I have to fight TGS children who do not understand why I don't think it is awesome that they are offering me a free hotel room and meal at the airport rather than putting me on another carrier, even when my original fare was a high level Biz fare, and they have to then try and track down the SINGLE TK manager at the entire airport, their own hub, who might be able to okay it.

So you can requalify quicker and with less miles, but if you are doing at those 2 year minimums you will NEVER EVER amass enough miles to redeem for anything meaningful on TK. This past summer TK blocked out 3 months of summer travel IST-JFK for lower level miles, you needed 180k for a Biz ticket (rather than 90k), that would have been fine if the flights were jammed, some were, some were not. So two pax 360k, four pax 720k. How many TK Elite Plus members are able to amass and spend 720k within three years? You think this is a more generous and better program? Think again.

Five years ago when almost all Y fares earned 100% and all J fares earned 200% and the double mile redemptions were better, it was arguably as generous or more generous, today it is not, but has enough "quirks" to make some think that it is.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

Well I was not including ME3 carriers as they are worse in so many ways. I was referring to pretty much every European and US trunk carrier. Honestly I did not really say anything about the 40k/60k thing because I generally polish off the 40k in a couple of months and my 2 year rolliong is normally between 100-200k so it really does not matter to me.

What I know is this, as a TK E+ in a situation where I am buying a last minute Y fare for 1000 EUR, I am unable to reserve an Emergency Exit seat within 48 hours for neither love nor money, and some guy who paid 100 EUR sand who flies once a decade, will probably get the seat because if its free he'll be at the airport 4 hours before. Oh, and if I do buy the ticket more than 48 hours before AND apy for it (something no other airline makes its top tier elites do), if they swap the aircraft, which happens all the time especially lately, they will not bother to change my seat to what is now an Emergency Exit, neither the TGS people nor the crew will really care, and I have to suffer the indignity of repeatedly writing in for a refund and get inane answers back like, "But you did receive your assigned seat 21A, so we will not refund you" despite the fact that it is clear that 21A is a great EE seat on an A321, as I booked it, but is a garbage seat on a 737.......

I also know that while BA, AF, KL, LH, AA, IB, DL, UA, and pretty much every serious carrier will bend over backwards to FIM their top tier pax onto whatever airline is flying the route in an IRROPS situation, with TK I have to fight TGS children who do not understand why I don't think it is awesome that they are offering me a free hotel room and meal at the airport rather than putting me on another carrier, even when my original fare was a high level Biz fare, and they have to then try and track down the SINGLE TK manager at the entire airport, their own hub, who might be able to okay it.

So you can requalify quicker and with less miles, but if you are doing at those 2 year minimums you will NEVER EVER amass enough miles to redeem for anything meaningful on TK. This past summer TK blocked out 3 months of summer travel IST-JFK for lower level miles, you needed 180k for a Biz ticket (rather than 90k), that would have been fine if the flights were jammed, some were, some were not. So two pax 360k, four pax 720k. How many TK Elite Plus members are able to amass and spend 720k within three years? You think this is a more generous and better program? Think again.

Five years ago when almost all Y fares earned 100% and all J fares earned 200% and the double mile redemptions were better, it was arguably as generous or more generous, today it is not, but has enough "quirks" to make some think that it is.
fair enough. We’re straying OT, but why haven’t you switched somewhere else by now? Sounds like you’d qualify just fine on a carrier that would suit you better.
axxoo25 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

fair enough. We’re straying OT, but why haven’t you switched somewhere else by now? Sounds like you’d qualify just fine on a carrier that would suit you better.
especially we still dont know which FFP is serious.

Or was the criticsm on M&S the answer itself, like every other FFP is serious?
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK*G
I just logged into my account and there is a section to book Star Alliance award tickets in the "miles transactions" page. I don't think that was there before. The link/button doesn't do anything though.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by dozerman94
I just logged into my account and there is a section to book Star Alliance award tickets in the "miles transactions" page. I don't think that was there before. The link/button doesn't do anything though.
Someone elsewhere on this forum mentioned that it is a Star Alliance requirement for all member airlines, that their website should allow award bookings om partner airlines before end of the year.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? Switch? What does that even mean? I maintain and have maintained top tier status on at least 4 carriers concurrently for more than 2 decades (at times 5 or 6), hence why I know exactly where TK's faults lie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.