Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Please note that special rules apply to this thread given some of the recent arguments in this thread. I would like to draw your attention to the FT Rules, in particular about personal attacks, off topic and disruptive posts and discussing moderator action. From now on every rules violation in this thread will lead to immediate suspensions of posting privileges, no further warnings will be issued. These might be temporary or permanent. Should this not calm the situation down the thread will be closed down permanently.

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Istanbul New Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sedat Guzel
An informative article from Eva Grey for Airport-Technology from last week. [edited]
It's an interesting read, but just a bit breathless in its enthusiasm. I reckon Eva's not going to get a prize for investigative journalism. But she certainly knows how to copy down exactly what she's told, and in full detail.

A brand new metro line from Gayrettepe to the airport was still under construction in November last year, with no further updates on the project’s status as of yet.
Weird and a bit scary - did they get lost? burrowing in the wrong direction ?

INA will make a 4.89% contribution to national income per capita
You've got respect precision. Not "approaching five percent", it will hit 4.89% bang on the nose

78% of the airport is already complete
Precision again! 78 hundredths complete: only 22 hundredths to go.

Though what exactly is the percentage of?

Last edited by starflyergold; Feb 16, 2018 at 11:30 pm Reason: edited earlier post
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:29 am

There will be about 77 Gates and 143 Bridges.
In 2:40 there is a Display on the animation
Originally Posted by hfly

Another thing. I keep reading about the 120, 130, 140 gates that are supposed to be in operation in phase 1. I am only counting about 60, which is really not that much greater than Ataturk that has 46. I mean its great that an eventual phase two that might be open in a decade might have 120 gates, but in reality at the moment it is a $20 billion investment in an airport that has no transportation links (yet) that has about 24% more gate capacity, and is a further distance for practically anyone that will ever use it whether traveler or worker. Seems to me that even when open for the first stage there will still be a huge amount of bus gates, and it would also seem that there is no suitable flight line for this yet built...............

Last edited by Sedat Guzel; Feb 17, 2018 at 2:56 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:58 am

pineapple_juice likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:23 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerby
Anyone knows which 3 letters the new airport is going to get? Or is it going to be IST and Attaturk is going to get a new one?
Attaturk will become ISL.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Attaturk will become ISL.
Like Milan Linate, unless they shut it down I suspect that every foreign and smaller airline will want to keep flying into Ataturk...
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Like Milan Linate, unless they shut it down I suspect that every foreign and smaller airline will want to keep flying into Ataturk...
I think they want to shut it down. It has good real estate value.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerby

I think they want to shut it down. It has good real estate value.
I suspect that you're right. Except does it still have "real estate value" when it's no longer near the airport?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I suspect that you're right. Except does it still have "real estate value" when it's no longer near the airport?
I’m not a real estate expert but maybe even more as it’s going to be a quiet neighborhood
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:13 am

One of their ministers have mentioned that they will leave it open as a VIP terminal. One would hope that they would consolidate all flights into the new airport.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:55 am

Sticking to the narrative.

​​​​​​In a meeting with members of the press, DHMİ General Manager and Chair Funda Ocak confirmed that Istanbul New Airport will open on Oct. 29 as previously announced by the Transportation, Maritime Affairs, and Communication Minister Ahmet Arslan.

"The third airport will be operational on the due date. All development works to this point suggest that there will be no delay or setback."
Miracles performed at Istanbul new Airport.

She added that the 42-month period was not enough for the construction of a new airport that consists of two independent runways, 8 million square meters of covered area, 1.4 million square meters of the terminal and other support buildings, but the suitable weather conditions this year have helped them finish the project on time.
Confirming the news on ISL

​​​​​​​"We have received a new flight code for Atatürk Airport from the International Air Transport Association (IATA). From now on it will work under the code ISL, and its current code IST will be assigned to Istanbul New Airport," she said.
More details at Daily Sabah: https://www.dailysabah.com/business/...opean-airspace
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I’ve just had a look on the map at the new IST’s location and it’s quite a way out of the city. Is there any indication yet as to what Public transport options there will be into the Centre?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite living in Istanbul for many many years, I have no idea what this mythical "centre" is that you refer to? Eventually there will be road and rail connections to the airport, while some roads may be completed in late October, rail will not happen for at least a few years. The problem is that while they are building several metro lines, these will take time and due to Istanbul's topography they are not really far reaching, meaning that while one can take you to a general area, you tend to find that most people still require a second or third conveyance to get to where they are going. Furthermore due to the topography of the city, having a train going to the "centre" such as Taksim, Micideyekoy or wherever only has limited usefulness as quite frankly quite a lot of people have no interest in going to these places. When they are open, this will mean that someone will land at the new IST, have to travel up to 1.7 km to get their bags, exit customs and leave the airport and get to the station, often by foot, wait up to 15 or 30 minutes for a train that will take them to Mecidiyekoy on the European side, and then find an alternative form of transportation to take them somewhere else on the European side, which could take anywhere from 5 minutes assuming they live next to the station, to 2 hours depending where they are on the European side. Asian side is a whole other calculation.

What I find disingenuous about much of this are the economic numbers. I am not even talking about whether they are real or not, I am talking about the "transfer numbers" that are ignored. They say it will employ 100,000 people. It may do so one day, however what does that mean? Economic impact? I mean TK Turkish Airlines has about 30,000 employees, not are all based in Istanbul (some are in other parts of Turkey, others around the World, I mean they have about 120 in the US, and about 300 in Germany) but let's say its 22,000 or so? The other Turkish Airlines combined have about 10,000 employees, again around Turkey (and to a lesser extent abroad), but in the case of Pegasus most are not at IST) most are at SAW, so we are talking maybe another 3,000 tops. I would posit that all other carriers at IST have less than 2,000 combined. There are probably another 10,000 third party workers air and landside, including pretty much everything within the airport perimeter. So are they saying that the amount of employees will QUADRUPLE at the new airport? I doubt it. They are talking about economic impact and using dark arts such as hotels that will be built, taxi drivers, truck drivers and who knows what else...............but all these people ALSO exist at the new airport. So of in stage one they were to absolutely increase their pax numbers to the 90 million capacity, they would be increasing the amount of people employed by 3 or 4x??!! for a 30-40% gain in pax? That is nonsensical. They could be including all those low paid construction workers (31,000-35,000 depending on news source), but when its built, they are done, so that cannot be it (or should not be, unless they plan on drawing out the expansion of the airport in later stages, to keep the numbers up, but that is still not "straight". 6% of the economy? How exactly does that work? Based on ticket sales? Cargo value? They are talking about a 2 Trillion dollar plus economy when this is done, so the airport will be worth $120 Billion per year??!! No one is questioning any of this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one is questioning any of this.
Once the new airport is named, you'll have your answer.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:41 am

What I find disingenuous about much of this are the economic numbers. I am not even talking about whether they are real or not, I am talking about the "transfer numbers" that are ignored.
Thanks for the interesting point about transfer numbers, hfly. I have something to report about rail links to the new airport. Judging by their replies to questions on social media, the airport seems adamant that phase 1 of the metro link to the city will be completed for the opening of phase 1 of the airport in October. That is to say, they seem no less sure of this than of the opening date of the airport, so my bet is on the metro line opening at the same time as phase 1 of the airport, whether that be on time or late.

They also said that it was a condition of their BOT agreement that the first of two metro lines to the city be built to open with the first phase of the airport. I suppose to what degree they'll honour the agreement remains to be seen.

The first phase of the metro connection is a line from Gayrettepe to the airport with a few intermediate stops.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CoweyB
I’ve just had a look on the map at the new IST’s location and it’s quite a way out of the city. Is there any indication yet as to what Public transport options there will be into the Centre?
Taxi and I assume havas bus transfers when it first opens. Earliest date I've seen for a rail line is late 2019. Getting to and from new IST during rush hour will certainly be an experience for the first year or longer, if they stick with the current date. Taxi drivers will certainly enjoy their 100+ lira fares from new IST to Sultanahmet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.