Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade with miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
TK U class

No, U class is a general heavily discounted Economy fare - no special/industry fare class. As I recall it is the cheapest TK fare available.

I had no issues upgrading a U class ticket with miles for KUL-IST on TK earlier this year (at check-in/day of dept.)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if "J" booking class is available (the actual J fare bucket, not J=business class)

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if any business class seats are available
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should inquire at check-in if upgrade with miles is possible. If seats in business are available, you will often be able to upgrade for cash or miles.

As already pointed out the miles required for an upgrade is the same as for the purchase of an award ticket, e.g. 45,000 miles for Asia to Europe o/w(including upgrade of the IST-Europe leg).
I have a economy ticket (OSL-IST-JNB return, W-class) and I want to upgrade to business class using my miles. According to Expertflyer there is no J fare available on any of the four legs, so what you are saying is that I cannot make a upgrade now, but only during check-in?

When I flew the same route last year I tried upgrading at check-in using miles, but no luck. They said it was not possible due to lack of availability. As I boarded the plane there were empty seats in business.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
I have a economy ticket (OSL-IST-JNB return, W-class) and I want to upgrade to business class using my miles. According to Expertflyer there is no J fare available on any of the four legs, so what you are saying is that I cannot make a upgrade now, but only during check-in?

When I flew the same route last year I tried upgrading at check-in using miles, but no luck. They said it was not possible due to lack of availability. As I boarded the plane there were empty seats in business.
That’s odd. I’d be mad as well!

Technically, an available J seat at the time of your check-in and sufficient miles in your account is all it takes. It could be that there were multiple no shows and that the check-in agent didn’t care to put a note with your UG request into the system.

I would try again at the gate and again during layover (transfer desk or lounge) if I got no love at the initial check-in.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you inquire? - OSL or JNB?

I expect it would be easier at outstations like JNB. But it very much depends on the agent that you ask - for some it is easier to say "Sorry, no availability" than to process an upgrade. If OSL cannot process an upgrade ask at the lounge or gate in IST. Good luck!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:34 pm

Where did you inquire? - OSL or JNB?

I expect it would be easier at outstations like JNB. But it very much depends on the agent that you ask - for some it is easier to say "Sorry, no availability" than to process an upgrade. If OSL cannot process an upgrade ask at the lounge or gate in IST. Good luck!
I inquired at OSL (the check-in staff referred me to the ticket counter, but no luck there)
Will try in Istanbul, or at JNB for sure!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:21 am

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/miles-and-smiles/awards/upgrade

It may not be possible to upgrade your ticket during certain times of the year especially in the high season and on routes of high demand.
Has anyone experienced difficulties trying to upgrade tickets during e.g. Christmas?

I really want to burn my miles on my December trip before they expire. Like I wrote earlier there is no J fare on my flights, so my best bet is last-minute upgrade at check-in if there are unsold seats...

Is IST-JNB defined as a high-demand route? Given that TK never release any limited capacity awards in business class I guess it is...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/miles-and-smiles/awards/upgrade

Is IST-JNB defined as a high-demand route? Given that TK never release any limited capacity awards in business class I guess it is...
Its definitely a route where the limited capacity awards in J are hard to find, so upgrading at the airport should be your best bet.

For what it’s worth: when I flew TK there and back earlier this year, the J cabin wasn’t full.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:34 pm

Its definitely a route where the limited capacity awards in J are hard to find, so upgrading at the airport should be your best bet.

For what it’s worth: when I flew TK there and back earlier this year, the J cabin wasn’t full.
Right, I've also flown this route on paid business class, and it was not packed.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Last minute upgrade with miles

One of the benefits of classic plus is
  • Last Minute Upgrade: You can have your flight class upgraded to Business Class at time of check-in by redeeming Miles from your Miles&Smiles account as an Classic Plus Card Member upon presenting your paid Economy Class ticket and your Classic Plus Card at the check-in.
Is there any advantage of this over the normal upgrade mileage? Is it discounted like the cash fare?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
You should inquire at check-in if upgrade with miles is possible. If seats in business are available, you will often be able to upgrade for cash or miles.

As already pointed out the miles required for an upgrade is the same as for the purchase of an award ticket, e.g. 45,000 miles for Asia to Europe o/w(including upgrade of the IST-Europe leg).
Why wait until check in if mileage amount is the same? Unless the upgrade at check in is cheaper??
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:41 pm

Is there any advantage of this over the normal upgrade mileage? Is it discounted like the cash fare?
I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question.

The only advantage I can think of is that for an advance mileage upgrade, you need J booking class availability, whereas for the last-minute one, all it takes is an available seat, irrespective of fare class.

re: discounted: there is no cash charge for upgrades with miles (unless possibly flying out of the UK, I don’t know who pays for the premium pax tax there).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:21 pm

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question.

The only advantage I can think of is that for an advance mileage upgrade, you need J booking class availability, whereas for the last-minute one, all it takes is an available seat, irrespective of fare class.

re: discounted: there is no cash charge for upgrades with miles (unless possibly flying out of the UK, I don’t know who pays for the premium pax tax there).
What I meant to say is would the price of upgrade be discounted in mileage, similar to how cash is much cheaper than normal fare. It appears the answer is no.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:46 pm

Milage requirement is the same.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
Why wait until check in if mileage amount is the same? Unless the upgrade at check in is cheaper??
Often you have to wait until check-in because there is no availability for doing the upgrade in advance. Yes, the mileage amount is the same, but availability for upgrades is not.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Does anyone know what the rules are for upgrading TK flights booked on other *A airline stock? I have upcoming L class flights IST-LHR and AMS-IST booked on UA stock. Are these upgradable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.