FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrade with miles
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:29 am
pineapple_juice

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if "J" booking class is available (the actual J fare bucket, not J=business class)

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if any business class seats are available
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should inquire at check-in if upgrade with miles is possible. If seats in business are available, you will often be able to upgrade for cash or miles.

As already pointed out the miles required for an upgrade is the same as for the purchase of an award ticket, e.g. 45,000 miles for Asia to Europe o/w(including upgrade of the IST-Europe leg).
I have a economy ticket (OSL-IST-JNB return, W-class) and I want to upgrade to business class using my miles. According to Expertflyer there is no J fare available on any of the four legs, so what you are saying is that I cannot make a upgrade now, but only during check-in?

When I flew the same route last year I tried upgrading at check-in using miles, but no luck. They said it was not possible due to lack of availability. As I boarded the plane there were empty seats in business.