Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade with miles

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
upgrade with miles

Whats my best option to upgrade a economy ticket to premium or business class? can i do it with miles ? can i go on a wait list if its not available?

Thanks
Old May 16, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
First of all, you do realise that you pay the same number of TK miles for an upgrade as you do for an award ticket...

The difference is availability buckets and co-payments.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by solma
Whats my best option to upgrade a economy ticket to premium or business class? can i do it with miles ? can i go on a wait list if its not available?

Thanks
TK doesn't offer premium economy any longer and I don't know anything about waitlisting, but:

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if "J" booking class is available (the actual J fare bucket, not J=business class)

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if any business class seats are available

- TK sometimes sell upgrades at check in. I remember LAX-IST being somewhere around 900 USD

Last edited by gr8pirate; Nov 17, 2017 at 9:28 pm Reason: correcting inaccuracy
Old May 17, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should inquire at check-in if upgrade with miles is possible. If seats in business are available, you will often be able to upgrade for cash or miles.

As already pointed out the miles required for an upgrade is the same as for the purchase of an award ticket, e.g. 45,000 miles for Asia to Europe o/w(including upgrade of the IST-Europe leg).
Old May 18, 2017, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
TK doesn't offer premium economy any longer and I don't know anything about waitlisting, but:

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if the particular fare bucket these upgrades book into is available. I think it's "I", but may be wrong.

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if seats are available

- TK sometimes sell upgrades at check in. I remember LAX-IST being somewhere around 900 USD
If you upgrade from economy to business with miles all you need is an available seat, unlike a business redemption which, at the lower rate, is bucket dependent. Given that you would normally have to pay taxes and fees anyway, this can work out well if the underlying economy fare was well priced.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
For upgrades with TK miles, do you still have fees/taxes to pay or is it just the miles? And, are there any economy fare classes from which it is not possible to upgrade?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
For upgrades with TK miles, do you still have fees/taxes to pay or is it just the miles? And, are there any economy fare classes from which it is not possible to upgrade?
No extra fees on upgrades of existing Y bookings. All economy fare classes are eligible for upgrade.

If you upgrade at check-in, all they need is an unsold business class seat.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by a9504477
Any TK revenue fare is upgradable, even though information on the website didn't always reflect this...

If you upgrade on flights from the UK, you should have to pay the APD supplement for premium class travel. AFAIK the always collect this extra tax, but YMMV .

That'll be an additional Ł13 (Ł26-Ł13) if you're flying to a Turkish destination, but Ł124 (Ł150-Ł26) if you're off somewhere more exotic (band B) and don't have a 24H+ break in Istanbul.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you upgrade on flights from the UK, you should have to pay the APD supplement for premium class travel. AFAIK the always collect this extra tax, but YMMV .

That'll be an additional Ł13 (Ł26-Ł13) if you're flying to a Turkish destination, but Ł124 (Ł150-Ł26) if you're off somewhere more exotic (band B) and don't have a 24H+ break in Istanbul.
Wow, I didn't know about that UK fee!
I'm suddenly happy there was no J class availability to upgrade from London to IST next week...
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
If you upgrade at check-in, all they need is an unsold business class seat.
As well as award space, in my experience.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Wow, I didn't know about that UK fee!
I'm suddenly happy there was no J class availability to upgrade from London to IST next week...
OK, but it'd not really a fee. It's a duty, a tax that goes directly to the exchequer. It rakes in a significant amount each year to help fund our health service etc etc
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
OK, but it'd not really a fee. It's a duty, a tax that goes directly to the exchequer. It rakes in a significant amount each year to help fund our health service etc etc
For the 95% of the world who doesn't know what an "exchequer" is... George Harrison called him the taxman.

Although I was under the impression that TK didn't charge anything extra at all when upgrading using miles. One of the "perks" of a charging the same miles for upgrading as a straightforward J reward.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold), Le Club Accorhotels Gold
I have a ticket in T and U classes. Can I upgrade to business class for miles?

The local TK office claims that no, due to the U class.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by tomwro
I have a ticket in T and U classes. Can I upgrade to business class for miles?

The local TK office claims that no, due to the U class.
You can upgrade from any class using M&S miles but only from Y if using other *A miles.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boosh
You can upgrade from any class using M&S miles but only from Y if using other *A miles.
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...awards/upgrade

U class cannot be upgraded according to the list of eligible fare classes.

I'm guessing that U fare class on TK is somewhat special - travel industry discount or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.