FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   upgrade with miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1842795-upgrade-miles.html)

solma May 16, 2017 3:18 am

upgrade with miles

Whats my best option to upgrade a economy ticket to premium or business class? can i do it with miles ? can i go on a wait list if its not available?

Thanks

craigthemif May 16, 2017 3:32 am

First of all, you do realise that you pay the same number of TK miles for an upgrade as you do for an award ticket...

The difference is availability buckets and co-payments.

gr8pirate May 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by solma (Post 28317571)
Whats my best option to upgrade a economy ticket to premium or business class? can i do it with miles ? can i go on a wait list if its not available?

Thanks

TK doesn't offer premium economy any longer and I don't know anything about waitlisting, but:

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if "J" booking class is available (the actual J fare bucket, not J=business class)

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if any business class seats are available

- TK sometimes sell upgrades at check in. I remember LAX-IST being somewhere around 900 USD

SK AAR May 17, 2017 6:18 am

You should inquire at check-in if upgrade with miles is possible. If seats in business are available, you will often be able to upgrade for cash or miles.

As already pointed out the miles required for an upgrade is the same as for the purchase of an award ticket, e.g. 45,000 miles for Asia to Europe o/w(including upgrade of the IST-Europe leg).

starflyergold May 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 28321503)
TK doesn't offer premium economy any longer and I don't know anything about waitlisting, but:

- you can upgrade using miles ahead of time if the particular fare bucket these upgrades book into is available. I think it's "I", but may be wrong.

- you can upgrade using miles at check-in if seats are available

- TK sometimes sell upgrades at check in. I remember LAX-IST being somewhere around 900 USD

If you upgrade from economy to business with miles all you need is an available seat, unlike a business redemption which, at the lower rate, is bucket dependent. Given that you would normally have to pay taxes and fees anyway, this can work out well if the underlying economy fare was well priced.

a9504477 Oct 3, 2017 9:33 am

For upgrades with TK miles, do you still have fees/taxes to pay or is it just the miles? And, are there any economy fare classes from which it is not possible to upgrade?

gr8pirate Oct 3, 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by a9504477 (Post 28888815)
For upgrades with TK miles, do you still have fees/taxes to pay or is it just the miles? And, are there any economy fare classes from which it is not possible to upgrade?

No extra fees on upgrades of existing Y bookings. All economy fare classes are eligible for upgrade.

If you upgrade at check-in, all they need is an unsold business class seat.

IAN-UK Oct 3, 2017 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by a9504477 (Post 28888815)

Any TK revenue fare is upgradable, even though information on the website didn't always reflect this...

If you upgrade on flights from the UK, you should have to pay the APD supplement for premium class travel. AFAIK the always collect this extra tax, but YMMV :D.

That'll be an additional £13 (£26-£13) if you're flying to a Turkish destination, but £124 (£150-£26) if you're off somewhere more exotic (band B) and don't have a 24H+ break in Istanbul.

gr8pirate Oct 4, 2017 5:37 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 28891523)
If you upgrade on flights from the UK, you should have to pay the APD supplement for premium class travel. AFAIK the always collect this extra tax, but YMMV :D.

That'll be an additional £13 (£26-£13) if you're flying to a Turkish destination, but £124 (£150-£26) if you're off somewhere more exotic (band B) and don't have a 24H+ break in Istanbul.

Wow, I didn't know about that UK fee!
I'm suddenly happy there was no J class availability to upgrade from London to IST next week...

pineapple_juice Oct 4, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 28889072)
If you upgrade at check-in, all they need is an unsold business class seat.

As well as award space, in my experience.

IAN-UK Oct 4, 2017 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 28892108)
Wow, I didn't know about that UK fee!
I'm suddenly happy there was no J class availability to upgrade from London to IST next week...

OK, but it'd not really a fee. It's a duty, a tax that goes directly to the exchequer. It rakes in a significant amount each year to help fund our health service etc etc

craigthemif Oct 5, 2017 1:25 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 28894564)
OK, but it'd not really a fee. It's a duty, a tax that goes directly to the exchequer. It rakes in a significant amount each year to help fund our health service etc etc

For the 95% of the world who doesn't know what an "exchequer" is... George Harrison called him the taxman. :D

Although I was under the impression that TK didn't charge anything extra at all when upgrading using miles. One of the "perks" of a charging the same miles for upgrading as a straightforward J reward.

tomwro Oct 11, 2017 11:12 pm

I have a ticket in T and U classes. Can I upgrade to business class for miles?

The local TK office claims that no, due to the U class.

boosh Oct 12, 2017 2:33 am

Originally Posted by tomwro (Post 28922708)
I have a ticket in T and U classes. Can I upgrade to business class for miles?

The local TK office claims that no, due to the U class.

You can upgrade from any class using M&S miles but only from Y if using other *A miles.

craigthemif Oct 12, 2017 3:16 am

Originally Posted by boosh (Post 28923069)
You can upgrade from any class using M&S miles but only from Y if using other *A miles.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...awards/upgrade

U class cannot be upgraded according to the list of eligible fare classes.

I'm guessing that U fare class on TK is somewhat special - travel industry discount or something?