FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

Pendrive Apr 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by smartinez (Post 28174825)
When you hand over your laptop, are they taking them in slim cases or only "naked"?

They took them in whatever cases they were in, so far as I could see. Both my laptop and iPad were in cases. I just handed them over and they wrapped them together in bubblewrap, added an identity sticker with me given the corresponding part to claim them back later, and put them in one of the suitcases. Minimum of fuss beyond a bit of queuing - they have a stand for handing them in etc inside the gate.

Pendrive Apr 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 28175141)
I don't know about Powerbanks. A few days ago the security person made a big stink about my power bank and made a similar claim. I challenged him and then his supervisor (her) to show me where such a regulation existed. After 2 minutes they agreed with themselves (in Turkish which I understood) that they had no such written order, and then asked me to put it in my carry-on under the proviso that I could carry it- but not use it. So I do not think the powerbank thing is actually real, just something that has morphed among them.

They were using something to check the powerbanks, and so it may not have been all of them. I didn't pay close attention, because I don't carry powerbanks any more after living in China for a couple of years, where airport staff got very excited about them and how dangerous they could be, and confiscated them quite extensively. Though it was the case at Beijing certainly that it was certain powerbanks which failed whatever checks were being used, but not all - I think they had to be within certain power limits, and that those had to be clearly marked on the powerbank.

In IST a couple of days ago, it seemed again to be certain powerbanks which failed whatever test they were using. A piece of testing equipment was used, and nothing which failed whatever they were testing for was permitted to be taken on the plane - they were adamant about that. I should perhaps make it clear as well that those powerbanks were not going to be taken on the plane at all - it wasn't a question of wrapping them for the hold. So if confiscated I think they are lost forever. It was also very clearly stated that powerbank checks were something introduced a week earlier.

Pendrive Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mtndave47 (Post 28172126)
Thank you for your posting your experience, I was about to cancel my LOS-IST-SFO TK one way. Was concerned about the security of electronics at LOS, so from your experience, my electronics should be in my possession till the IST departure gate.

Yes - I was also worried about having to give up my electronics in BKK, to the extent that I was prepared to check my baggage to IST and check in again there for the IST - MAN flight, in order to keep them for that leg. But there was never any question of needing to do that at BKK check-in - I was immediately told I could just give them up at the gate in IST, and in IST they were all ready and prepared to process everyone's electronics for the MAN flight, presumably regardless of where we might all have come from to IST.

bianco31 Apr 15, 2017 12:49 am

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'll travel in a couple of months MXP-IST-ORD and will bring with me a reflex camera and two additional lenses. Have I to gate check them at IST, or should I be allowed to keep at least the lenses with me and check only the camera?

Thank you

GuyIncognito Apr 16, 2017 1:11 am

I'll be traveling from IST to LHR with a connection onward to the USA on UA. Is there any way to claim gate-checked electronics in LHR without having to go landside to the baggage claim?

hfly Apr 16, 2017 4:09 am

docbert,

Because the examples given were:

Laptops
Tablets
E-readers
Cameras
Portable DVD players
Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
Travel printers/scanners

And not powerbanks. Having now flown several times to/fr the destinations in question, including the experience above and carrying my "BATTERY" I can say that as of three days ago they are not included in the ban (besides the several year old very big battery ban). Regarding China, yes they have had issues with Powerbanks for several years now, then again, mine say the Mah, so it has never been an issue.

CoweyB Apr 16, 2017 7:38 am

I'm sending this from seat 2A on the TK1997 IST - LGW somewhere over Eastern Europe.

As others have reported there are a number of procedures. First your passport and boarding card are checked and your b/c is stamped, then you queue to go to another point where they seem to do the same thing but this time you get a getva shiny Gozen sticker on your b/c

Next was a ten minute queue to get your hand luggage checked and a superficial patdown

Then a five minute queue to hand over the iPad. You sign for it they put a further numbered sticker on your b/c. Meanwhile those already processed have been boarding buses (this was gate 705). I would say it added an extra 25 minutes from arriving at the gate to boarding the bus. Sadly there is no fastrack for Business or status passengers!

But they don't take away your battery charger. I've just been using mine.

EDIT: Just landed at LGW. Laptops are collected at the top of the ramp. Took about ten minutes to come. There are two guys shouting out last three numbers on ticket. You then sign and collect. There are about 30 of us. It's a bit slow. Had I known this I would have put it in my checked baggage though I appreciate not everyone would like to do this.

[img]webkit-fake-url://11c72777-0d1c-4893-858b-b454fb98cc28/imagejpeg[/img]

Shawn02139 Apr 17, 2017 3:33 am

For workaholics, it's worth noting that there is a very high quality printer in the lounge (basically a color copier). Create a PDF on dropbox on your laptop, run the link through bitly, and print out using the public macintosh computers.

I'm bringing 250 pages of reading on my flight to the US.

Frustrating that this will keep me away from Turkish, as they were $3k cheaper than Qatar, and while not as nice, certainly pleasant especially given seat next to me has been empty whole flight.
I would pay a decent amount of money to rent a TK-provided laptop on the flight, I hope they offer this service soon (and catch up with QR and Emirates).

k374 Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 28165090)
Just did TK9, IST to LAX and checked my laptop at gate. Picked it up at destination without a hitch, the whole thing really wasn't a big deal.

Cool, I am flying TK9 as well in August. I was wondering if my QC25s and a small camera can also be placed in the bubble wrap. Is there a restriction on the number of items?

Also, I need to transport my power bank as I am going to Africa on a trek and need power, it is usually banned from checked in baggage so now it is allowed where - in checked in or carry on? Or is it banned entirely which is ridiculous?

gr8pirate Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by k374 (Post 28196399)
Cool, I am flying TK9 as well in August. I was wondering if my QC25s and a small camera can also be placed in the bubble wrap. Is there a restriction on the number of items?

Also, I need to transport my power bank as I am going to Africa on a trek and need power, it is usually banned from checked in baggage so now it is allowed where - in checked in or carry on? Or is it banned entirely which is ridiculous?

I don't think a couple of more items are going to be an issue and neither will a power bank.
OT, but check out a solar charger as an alternative to the power bank, my friend is really happy with his.

hfly Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Traveled twice with Bose QC headphones, not even a second look.

amigoflyer Apr 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Does anyone know how they (TK on USA flight) handle bigger camera equipment? Will there be any trouble with 2 SLR cameras with multiple lenses and a special camera (www.panono.com)?

starflyergold Apr 19, 2017 12:25 am

Similarly to the Gulf carriers TK is considering loan laptops for pax:

https://www.dailysabah.com/tourism/2...lectronics-ban

k374 Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate (Post 28196459)
I don't think a couple of more items are going to be an issue and neither will a power bank.
OT, but check out a solar charger as an alternative to the power bank, my friend is really happy with his.

Thanks, I have a Surface Pro 4, QC25 and Powershot S120 camera to check in at the gate on my 1 segment back to LAX. Will put everything else in my checked in. Crossing my fingers that nothing gets damaged.

Edit - I read that elsewhere on the internet from a personal passenger experience that all powerbanks, regardless of capacity, are being confiscated on all Turkish airlines flights in IST. I don't know why because this ban does not explicitly state anything about power banks. Perhaps they don't want to put them in the hold.

DrHalxx Apr 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Flights to the UK, Interesting security process

Hi peeps,

I transited through IST to LHR yesterday. Some observations

1) My power bank was taken away (no heads up in ATH). Apparently, the security guy told me that it was not allowed. When I asked for how long he said: "Probably 10 days". I think he made it up

2) My passport and boarding pass was checked 3-4 times at the gate.

3) I handed my laptop/iPad to them before boarding

4) My carry-on/laptop bag was hand searched (As was everyone's)

5) Quite chaotic boarding, flight was delayed for at least an hour

5) Most interesting bit. The whole re-screening security process was supervised by a middle aged guy, looking very British and posh/public (meaning private for the Americans) school type. Embassy employee?