FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

nwflyboy Mar 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 28083729)
...I use a CPAP too.... the laptop was bad but the CPAP pretty much put flying TK back to the states a 'no go' for me... replacing a stolen or broken CPAP would be a MEGA hassle as it involves medical insurance, doctor prescriptions for it, etc. I have no problem handing it over for the flight as long as I know I'll get it back at the end safe and in working condition.

Pretty sure "medical devices" are exempt, and I'd guess that would qualify.

In any case, kudos to TK for taking what steps they can to mitigate the impact.

docbert Mar 25, 2017 5:01 am

Just boarded IST-SFO (not connecting).

At check-in they asked about electronics. I said I had a laptop, but that I wanted to check it at the gate, and they were ok with that and let me proceed. No further checks at security as expected (via the direct lounge entrance).

At the gate (219, as is often used for security sensitive flights) they were doing a full security check on almost all passengers - exactly the same as for my flight to TLV a few weeks ago (shoes off, pat down, explosives swab, etc). I actually scored SSSS (extra screening) on my boarding pass and they didn't do anything extra so I presume everyone was getting the full treatment by default. A few people got lesser treatment based on something on their boarding pass (Precheck-ish?) but the number was small.

When they saw I had a laptop in my bag they then took me over to another desk where they were checking them. I had purchased a cheap laptop bag last night for protection, but after some discussion they decided it was better not to use it. Instead they individually wrapped all items (for me, laptop, tablet) in bubblewrap bags, affixed hand-filled "rush" luggage tags, and then put them into a hard-sided suitcase (standard ~30" suitcases, not anything special) which had large Turkish Airlines labels on them.

The person in front of me had a SLR camera and an iPad and got exactly the same treatment.

Other than being slow, the process worked, and I've got at least some confidence my items will get to San Francisco safely. I'll report back after I arrive in SFO as to what they procedure is there...

Apparently there are 20 flights per day that are affected, including both US and UK flight.

GuyverII Mar 25, 2017 5:03 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 28084235)

Thanks for letting us know! Please update on how the process works when you arrive!

AirCanada881 Mar 25, 2017 5:31 am

So large cameras are banned too? Vloggers won't be happy!

docbert Mar 25, 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28084303)
So large cameras are banned too? Vloggers won't be happy!

Cameras are included in the US ban, not in the UK ban.

starflyergold Mar 25, 2017 5:53 am

Originally Posted by foggy traveler (Post 28082207)
TK boxes!)

That's a lot better than I expected ^ (given the circumstances)

Thanks for sharing foggy traveler

tcm Mar 25, 2017 7:13 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well, this does not look as good as the KK cases...

Attachment 29403

vg247 Mar 25, 2017 9:02 am

At check-in they asked about electronics. I said I had a laptop, but that I wanted to check it at the gate, and they were ok with that and let me proceed. No further checks at security as expected (via the direct lounge entrance).

At the gate (219, as is often used for security sensitive flights) they were doing a full security check on almost all passengers - exactly the same as for my flight to TLV a few weeks ago (shoes off, pat down, explosives swab, etc). I actually scored SSSS (extra screening) on my boarding pass and they didn't do anything extra so I presume everyone was getting the full treatment by default. A few people got lesser treatment based on something on their boarding pass (Precheck-ish?) but the number was small.

When they saw I had a laptop in my bag they then took me over to another desk where they were checking them. I had purchased a cheap laptop bag last night for protection, but after some discussion they decided it was better not to use it. Instead they individually wrapped all items (for me, laptop, tablet) in bubblewrap bags, affixed hand-filled "rush" luggage tags, and then put them into a hard-sided suitcase (standard ~30" suitcases, not anything special) which had large Turkish Airlines labels on them.

The person in front of me had a SLR camera and an iPad and got exactly the same treatment.

Other than being slow, the process worked, and I've got at least some confidence my items will get to San Francisco safely. I'll report back after I arrive in SFO as to what they procedure is there...

Apparently there are 20 flights per day that are affected, including both US and UK flight.

Thanks so much docbert, I will be connecting onto this flight IST-SFO coming from my Dubai - IST flight April 8th. Great to know TK is taking care of passengers and carefully packing them at the gate

docbert Mar 25, 2017 9:32 pm

[...]

On arrival at SFO we were told that out luggage and electronics would be available at carousel 1. They had a table setup at the end of the carousel with a Turkish Airlines tablecloth draped over it and a small sign saying Electronics Pickup. When I arrived there were no airline staff, but there was someone from the airport who was helping out. I was first to the table, so basically formed the start of (what became) a line.

About 30 mins after I had arrived (about 45 after the plane door opened) the baggage carousel started up, and at the same time they rolled out the 2 bags of electronics which then then started unloading onto the floor behind the table. As I was at the start of the line they found my 2 first - made more difficult by the fact that wrapped in bubblewrap bags they all looked almost exactly the same!

After finding them, they confirm the tag on the item against the stub I had, as well as checking my passport to confirm the name matched, and then had me sign the same sheet of paper I'd signed in IST when dropping it.

The worrying part was that they stated that the bags had been opened after they were dropped off, and thus they asked me to also check that the item was actually correct. I couldn't tell if they had actually been opened, and have no way of knowing if they attempted to try and boot my computer or not. (It has an encrypted hard disk, so stops at that prompt almost as soon as it's powered on).

Other than the fact that even over 2 hours after landing my metal-case laptop is still almost too cold to hold, both devices appear to have survived without any issues at all.

tcm Mar 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The process has to many potential flaws where things can go wrong on the arrival side for my liking. Also the case/box/bag currently used doesn't give me confidence against damage or theft. I will be checking-in my stuff to my own luggage...

BTW, compared to QR/EK, TK seems to be better organized, I am in shock :eek: :D

Enthilza Mar 26, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks for your report Docbert, that's really good to know.

vg247 Mar 26, 2017 12:58 am

Thank you very much docbert, I'll be in the exact flight home April 8th.

Hope you get some rest and I'll be sure to share my experiences here if anything is better/same/ or worst than your experiences..

GuyverII Mar 26, 2017 1:01 am

thanks for following up. going to be cellphone only for me until they figure this out.

JetSetDave Mar 26, 2017 8:21 am

Wonder how TK will handle the electronics at check in at LOS with an IST connection to SFO? Hope I can carry them onboard in LOS and then gate check them in IST for SFO. Glad to see TK offering a gate solution for the time being. Thanks to all who posted their experiences with this ban.

foggy traveler Mar 26, 2017 8:23 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28084528)
Well, this does not look as good as the KK cases...

Attachment 29403

Inside it looks like on the photo. TGS staff puts also inside lists with name, surname, bag tag number and brand of electronic goods.