FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

docbert Mar 26, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by foggy traveler (Post 28088210)
Inside it looks like on the photo. TGS staff puts also inside lists with name, surname, bag tag number and brand of electronic goods.

Yes. The list is done in triplicate. It includes the passengers name, a brief description of the item (brand and model), the baggage tag number, any pre-existing damage to the item, and is signed by the passenger when handing over the item.

The original copy must have been carried in the cabin, as they had it in SFO available well before the suitcases arrived at baggage claim. One of the copies is contained in the suitcase (with each suitcase having it's own form/s). I presume the 3rd copy was kept in IST.

tcm Mar 26, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by foggy traveler (Post 28088210)
Inside it looks like on the photo. TGS staff puts also inside lists with name, surname, bag tag number and brand of electronic goods.

That looks much better, a more sturdy bag/box would help further. I was hoping the U.K. might reconsider Turkey being on the list with Boris Johnson in Antalya meeting Turkish officials and being asked his government for re-consideration. I just hope other European countries do not follow suit. Anyway this will be a continuing operational nightmare, day after day, for pax and the ground staff involved.

Karl Gustav Annus Mar 27, 2017 3:50 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/26/op...inkId=35868694

''A few passengers were distraught after having been told incorrectly that some items, including large headphones, would be allowed.''

Looks like it's bad news for PAX like me, who are using over-head NC headphones. Does anyone have experience with this? I can do a long flight without laptop/ipad but there is no humane way to survive 10+h flight without my QC35'ers.

Jerry_Maguire Mar 27, 2017 3:54 am

Can't gate check a bag with electronics

I'm in the boarding gate area for TK 1 IST to JFK. I travel with a roll aboard case (with my clothes) and a laptop backpack (electronics and documents).

I started this morning in Entebbe and brought everything on board to use my laptop on the EBB IST flight and in TK lounge. In the lounge I put my laptop and iPad into the roll aboard planning to gate check it.

And while the Gozen security guy thought my plan was ok after checking with his boss, the TK agent handling the checking of electronics said no. You can't gate check a bag that contains electronics. Which seem crazy as it would go in the hold just the same as if I'd checked that bag in Entebbe in the first
No big deal but I worry about missing my Tampa flight if the reclaiming electronics process takes too long

GUWonder Mar 27, 2017 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus (Post 28091618)
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/26/op...inkId=35868694

''A few passengers were distraught after having been told incorrectly that some items, including large headphones, would be allowed.''

Looks like it's bad news for PAX like me, who are using over-head NC headphones. Does anyone have experience with this? I can do a long flight without laptop/ipad but there is no humane way to survive 10+h flight without my QC35'ers.

They are banned under the US ban, but they are not banned under the UK ban.

Jerry_Maguire Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

NC headphones ok?

I'm on TK1 bound for JFK right now and several passengers in the front part of economy where I am are using Bose Headphones. So security either missed them or they are allowed after all.

bensim Mar 27, 2017 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire (Post 28091626)
I'm in the boarding gate area for TK 1 IST to JFK. I travel with a roll aboard case (with my clothes) and a laptop backpack (electronics and documents).

I started this morning in Entebbe and brought everything on board to use my laptop on the EBB IST flight and in TK lounge. In the lounge I put my laptop and iPad into the roll aboard planning to gate check it.

And while the Gozen security guy thought my plan was ok after checking with his boss, the TK agent handling the checking of electronics said no. You can't gate check a bag that contains electronics. Which seem crazy as it would go in the hold just the same as if I'd checked that bag in Entebbe in the first
No big deal but I worry about missing my Tampa flight if the reclaiming electronics process takes too long

Did TK put your laptop and IPad together in the box? Can you update how they return the gadgets to you at JFK? Thanks.

Palmer Mar 27, 2017 1:04 pm

According to a report in The Independent, passengers waiting at a departure gate (in a supposedly sterile area) mingled with passengers arriving on a non-screened flight, thus defeating the purpose of the enhanced checks:

But as the heavily screened travellers were waiting to board the Heathrow flight at Gate 202, an entire planeload of arriving passengers wandered through what was supposed to be a security-sterile area.

It was an alarming example of a failure to look at the bigger security picture. I watched while security staff diligently discovered and removed PlayStations and Kindles from travellers heading for Heathrow – yet no one noticed that 100-plus passengers, who had not been screened for devices, were mingling in the gate lounge.
Security breach renders in-flight laptop ban useless

Palmer

nwflyboy Mar 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Palmer (Post 28093605)
According to a report in The Independent, passengers waiting at a departure gate (in a supposedly sterile area) mingled with passengers arriving on a non-screened flight, thus defeating the purpose of the enhanced checks:

Security breach renders in-flight laptop ban useless

Palmer

Shhhhhh....they will just apply the islamic electronics ban to all flights.

Stop expecting any of this to make sense...

tcm Mar 28, 2017 11:30 am

Apparently, two tomographic scanners have been ordered and secured from production to be used at gate security in IST for U.S./U.K. bound flights. There is still some hope that the Brits might reverse policy.

starflyergold Mar 28, 2017 1:59 pm

As of 31 March pax on US bound TK flights that handed in their laptops/ipad will receive free wifi.

Lewis42 Mar 28, 2017 2:19 pm

i flew IST - BHX yesterday and it really wasn't a burden for such a short flight. For a flight from IST - US I may not be so happy as it is a long time with little to no productivity.

But for flights to UK it won't affect my travel pattern of using TK where appropriate.

jcm55a Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 28098523)
As of 31 March pax on US bound TK flights that handed in their laptops/ipad will receive free wifi.

https://twitter.com/BilalEksiTHY/sta...13061583441920

To use the free wifi on our now checked-in laptops and ipads??

docbert Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jcm55a (Post 28098912)
To use the free wifi on our now checked-in laptops and ipads??

... or perhaps your non-checked-in cell phones?

Cute move, given that the number of people that would actually pay 10 euro for an hour of internet on their phone is probably so close to zero that they lose nothing by doing this, but it helps improve goodwill a little.

hfly Mar 28, 2017 6:43 pm

I question the "Independent" report. I have flown in and out of IST literally Thousands of times. The article says things like

"Passengers for the UK are now checked in at a separate area alongside flights to Israel"

This is not a "NOW" thing, it has been this way for many years and it ALSO applies to US flights.

Besides the standard screening to go “airside”, three extra security hurdles have been added. The last, at the entrance to the departure gate, is a thorough hand search of cabin baggage.

Until 2/3 years ago there was always a scanner at each gate, for US, UK and Israel flights there has always been an extra layer of security where many peoples hand luggage was checked.

After clearing six separate security hurdles at Istanbul airport

I question what the definition of "security check" is. Or whether the writer ever flew from IST before? I only know of four, which is perhaps one more than what there was before.

But as the heavily screened travellers were waiting to board the Heathrow flight at Gate 202, an entire planeload of arriving passengers wandered through what was supposed to be a security-sterile area.

When I had read about the article, I had assumed that they were referring to a possible 300 or 500 gate breach, as that is where it would most likely happen. 202, would be a strange one, as unless something really really went wrong, i.e. that the pax went up rather than down, AND that the doors were miraculously left open up top, this is a very difficult thing to accomplish. I am not saying it impossible, but when looking at his other statements in the same article, I do question the veracity of what he's written.