FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

starflyergold Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

US authorities have secretly required airlines from 13 nations to forbid passengers from carrying any electronic or electrical device larger than a cellphone.The new edict was distributed in an email described as “confidential” from the US transportation safety administration (TSA) on Monday....

So far only Jordan and Saudi Arabia have confirmed the new rules, however it is expected that Turkey is also on the list. No confirmation yet from TK.

siberslava Mar 21, 2017 1:54 am

Reports I see have Istanbul on the list. I'm checking with my sources to verify. I can imagine this all came out of Trump's meeting with airline executives a few weeks ago as a way of punishing Middle East airlines. I don't see how this is going to be enforceable since one is not supposed to have lithium batteries in checked luggage...

Mwenenzi Mar 21, 2017 1:56 am

One of the many FT threads on this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...tries-u-s.html

AirCanada881 Mar 21, 2017 2:25 am

Just so we're clear this only applies to US bound flights? ie South America isn't concerned?

Thanks

starflyergold Mar 21, 2017 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28064676)
Just so we're clear this only applies to US bound flights? ie South America isn't concerned?

Thanks

US bound flights only

BurekTheGreat Mar 21, 2017 6:12 am

Turkish airlines official announcement:

Due to the most recent declaration that we’ve received from the concerned authorities, as Turkish Airlines we kindly inform our passengers that any electronic or electirical devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone (except medical devices) must not be transported on board in our flights arriving to the US destinations. However, those passengers will be easily able to transport their mentioned devices in the baggage hold area of the aircraft.
Source: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-hr...ying-to-the-us

Worcester Mar 21, 2017 7:17 am

This does not make any sense, holds are no stronger than passenger decks if they are worried about bombs. And if they can camouflage the bomb to pass IST security why not fly to Athens and get on a US bound flight there.

I smell a rat.

GUWonder Mar 21, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 28065523)
This does not make any sense, holds are no stronger than passenger decks if they are worried about bombs. And if they can camouflage the bomb to pass IST security why not fly to Athens and get on a US bound flight there.

I smell a rat.

Orange rat?

Sort of amusing to see the Saudis and Emiratis on the blacklist too, given their rulers were anything but critical of Trump's Executive Order "Muslim bans" and were cheering for Trump in November 2016. And all so soon after Saudi Arabia's de facto head was in DC this month for a smiling photo op.

I can't say I'm surprised Turkey was blacklisted in this way. The US seems to have gone after the US-serving carriers with the largest coverage of Muslim-majority nations it could find.

starflyergold Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am

The UK is about to announce similar rules. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

Shawn02139 Mar 21, 2017 9:29 am

Has anyone tried to request a refund from Turkish? I have a long flight from IST to US and would like to work on the flight. I'd be happy with a reroute onto a star alliance carrier via Europe

starflyergold Mar 21, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Shawn02139 (Post 28066268)
Has anyone tried to request a refund from Turkish? I have a long flight from IST to US and would like to work on the flight. I'd be happy with a reroute onto a star alliance carrier via Europe

I'd say your chances are zero.

airoli Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 28066296)
I'd say your chances are zero.

+1. This is clearly a regulatory change outside of the airline's control. Why should they waive their ticket rules?

fumje Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 28066191)
The UK is about to announce similar rules. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

Appeasement?

tcm Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am

Different to the U.S. ban the U.K. has a dimension limit as well, even for phones. And "surprisingly" no ban for flights from Qatar/UAE. Politics driven security at its best:rolleyes:

tcm Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

Under the new restrictions, passengers boarding flights to the UK from the countries affected will not be allowed to take any phones, laptops or tablets larger than a normal smartphone – specified as 16cm x 9.3cm x 1.5cm.
source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/21/uk-set-to-ban-laptops-on-flights-from-middle-east-countries

Dover2Golf Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm

I wonder how many fires will be caused by all those lithium batteries going in the holds - something many airlines ban.

Another ill thought through piece of nonsense.

vg247 Mar 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Anyone have suggestions, strategies, and tips on how we may protect our electronics
and minimize the risk of them being stolen from checked bags with this ban happening?

We will be flying Turkish Airlines from Dubai, connect in IST, then back to the U.S. and this makes me very uneasy due to risk of theft as this ban is essentially saying to thieves "come get it - high value electronics and sensitive data can be found in passenger checked bags"

I am contemplating if it's safer to ship/mail my electronics back rather than pose them at risk for thefts in checked bags?

In my case, our bags will change hands twice with airport bag handlers - once in Dubai, the again to the connecting flight in IST. And again in the U S, so it's actually 3 times at risk

Hope Turkish Airlines and other airlines affected has good baggage staff and will increase the security of our belongings to prevent thefts from bags

GUWonder Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28067014)
Different to the U.S. ban the U.K. has a dimension limit as well, even for phones. And "surprisingly" no ban for flights from Qatar/UAE. Politics driven security at its best:rolleyes:

IST-DXB-LHR-IAD and IST-TLV is fine to have a laptop in the cabin bag but IST-LHR, IST-IAD and DXB-IAD isn't fine for that. Weird.

Just waiting to see how long TLV takes to make nice with WAS.

dipthought Mar 21, 2017 2:43 pm

So folks, I am travelling GVA-IST-SFO next week, with an overnight stopover in IST. Do you think I can short check in to IST, and then check in my laptop next morning before IST-SFO?

craigthemif Mar 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dipthought (Post 28068019)
So folks, I am travelling GVA-IST-SFO next week, with an overnight stopover in IST. Do you think I can short check in to IST, and then check in my laptop next morning before IST-SFO?

With an overnight, you should already be short-checking... There shouldn't be problems.

sapman986 Mar 21, 2017 8:08 pm

What a load of rubbish. I have a couple of TK flights booked this summer and I suppose I'll just mail the iPad to myself. Such a waste of time, effort and money. Security? Pffft.

Enthilza Mar 22, 2017 4:14 am

The ban does also apply to flights from the UAE.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...aspx#/#4086177

GUWonder Mar 22, 2017 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Enthilza (Post 28070320)
The ban does also apply to flights from the UAE.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...aspx#/#4086177

It does apply sometime this week for flights to the US from the UAE.

It doesn't apply to flights from the UAE to the UK or elsewhere beside the US. This is of course subject to change.

vincewy Mar 22, 2017 8:12 am

Good thing my upcoming flights are all out of YUL and YYZ. Not sure if I ever want to fly out of/into US at this point.

I was already tired of all the security measures before this flying into US, and now.....

airoli Mar 22, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 28071044)
Good thing my upcoming flights are all out of YUL and YYZ. Not sure if I ever want to fly out of/into US at this point.

I really hope that Canada does not fall in line with these new measures. The U.S. has a habit of blackmailing Canada into adopting their silly security theatrics... :rolleyes:

alexperi Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Shawn02139 (Post 28066268)

I'd be interested to hear about this too - similar situation. Doubt my chances but would appreciate hearing if anyone was successful...

AirCanada881 Mar 22, 2017 11:23 am

Well I'm glad I'm not traveling to the US anytime soon, glad I chose South America for my vacation this time!

craigthemif Mar 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28071928)
Well I'm glad I'm not traveling to the US anytime soon, glad I chose South America for my vacation this time!

The problem is the flight back home, connecting in IST, if other European countries decide to join the UK/US ban. Realistically you would have to check your electronics into to your luggage leaving South America. :td:

tcm Mar 23, 2017 12:31 am

The Turkish Ministry of Transportation is apparently in talks with their U.S. counterparts. They have suggested the use of the so called 360• tomographic scanners for cabin luggage just like checked luggage. Also 100% implementation of ETD (Explosion Trace Detection) instead of random selection. That is the swipe thing. I am doubtful they will be able to sway US/UK policy anytime soon on this because this not just about security. Just like the unfortunate events in London yesterday have shown once again, in this age and day there is no 100% security. I personally feel as safe as I can flying from A to B than driving on Turkish roads or walking in a shady neighborhood. Anyway for those that might be interested there is a interesting piece on the Turkish Bloomberg affiliate. Safe Travels Everyone!

article: http://www.bloomberght.com/haberler/haber/1996494-elektronik-cihaz-yasagi-sonrasi-ulastirma-bakanligindan-surpriz-teklif (Turkish)

DaveS Mar 23, 2017 3:20 am

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28074870)
The Turkish Ministry of Transportation is apparently in talks with their U.S. counterparts. They have suggested the use of the so called 360• tomographic scanners for cabin luggage just like checked luggage. Also 100% implementation of ETD (Explosion Trace Detection) instead of random selection. That is the swipe thing. I am doubtful they will be able to sway US/UK policy anytime soon on this because this not just about security. Just like the unfortunate events in London yesterday have shown once again, in this age and day there is no 100% security. I personally feel as safe as I can flying from A to B than driving on Turkish roads or walking in a shady neighborhood. Anyway for those that might be interested there is a interesting piece on the Turkish Bloomberg affiliate. Safe Travels Everyone!

article: http://www.bloomberght.com/haberler/...surpriz-teklif (Turkish)

This all makes the assumption that the ban is because of the possibility of explosives being concealed in these devices. I am not sure that is a valid assumption. I still wonder if the problem is lithium batteries and the energy they contain and what can be done with that energy. If I am right, it does not bode well for those of us that need to travel with laptops etc in the future.

The idea of posting/shipping electronics is none too good either. Import duties are a real risk in that situation. I think the airlines will have to come up with a way of carrying these items where they take on the liability for loss/damage.

tcm Mar 23, 2017 5:06 am

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 28075214)
This all makes the assumption that the ban is because of the possibility of explosives being concealed in these devices. I am not sure that is a valid assumption. I still wonder if the problem is lithium batteries and the energy they contain and what can be done with that energy. If I am right, it does not bode well for those of us that need to travel with laptops etc in the future.

The idea of posting/shipping electronics is none too good either. Import duties are a real risk in that situation. I think the airlines will have to come up with a way of carrying these items where they take on the liability for loss/damage.

But wouldn't the same risks be valid for flights departing from other airports as well? Flying from IST to LHR or JFK involves many extra security measures already than flying from say ZRH or MXP.

BTW, I don't think TK handing out tablets/notebooks onboard will be a solution as some in the media here seem to suggest. As you hinted, the only solution that comes to my mind is for TK to take on any special/sensitive equipment (Notebooks/Lenses/Tablets) after gate security (as UK/US/Canada/Israel bound flights have this already), have them sealed and put in a special hold and returned at the destination. At least for J pax. Don't know if this makes any sense. These enhancements will be very damaging to TK and the ME3.

vg247 Mar 23, 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28075416)
But wouldn't the same risks be valid for flights departing from other airports as well? Flying from IST to LHR or JFK involves many extra security measures already than flying from say ZRH or MXP.

BTW, I don't think TK handing out tablets/notebooks onboard will be a solution as some in the media here seem to suggest. As you hinted, the only solution that comes to my mind is for TK to take on any special/sensitive equipment (Notebooks/Lenses/Tablets) after gate security (as UK/US/Canada/Israel bound flights have this already), have them sealed and put in a special hold and returned at the destination. At least for J pax. Don't know if this makes any sense. These enhancements will be very damaging to TK and the ME3.

I agree, tcm- your thoughts on this would really help and makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately I'm impacted by the ban as we left the states one day prior to it going into affect.

Still figuring out what's the best way to handle my laptops, and iPads for our way home on TK from Dubai connecting to IST, to the U.S.

Either ship them FedEx etc or have to place them in checked baggage and risk theft/damage along with compromise of sensitive data.... what a nightmare!

DaveS Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28075416)

Yes, but this may be where the politics comes into it. They have assessed the riskiest places and applied the ban to the hubs and airports that they are worried about.

gnaget Mar 23, 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveS (Post 28075214)

The only dangerous aspect of Li-ion batteries is that you can start a fire (by ramming a nail or other conductor through the battery), but I don't think that's a very effective method of Jihad. The aircraft interior is designed to not allow for a fire to spread. And there are various aircraft fire containment devices for sale. A simple solution would be for the airlines to acquire better containment systems. An outlandish scenario could be 30 Jihadis simultaneously puncturing their Li-ion batteries.........

Furthermore, here are the FAA regs on li-ion batteries. Note that it is prohibited to pack spare batteries in your luggage!
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

A Qantas C class passenger crushed his cell phone in the seat mechanism and it started a fire. So why not ban cell phones?

p.s. Note that there is a big difference between "lithium batteries" and li-ion. The former is a primary (non-rechargeable) battery, which is generally used in the form of coin cells or the small cylindrical CR123A battery. The FAA says that they must not contain more than 2g of Li; commercial Li batteries contain much less than 1g.

gold_digger Mar 23, 2017 10:24 am

Does anybody know if the ban is already implemented on flights to the UK. I m transiting tomorrow to London and want to know if i should put my laptop/ipad in my luggage or can travel still freely.
i want to avoiid that in Istanbul they refuse to let me take both items on board but if there is no restrictions at depature i prefer to take them with me especially as i have 2,5 houes to kill in Istanbul (so could even try to add it to my bag in Istanbul)
nothing is mentioned on TK website and it seems the ban only needs to start from Saturday so i hope i can avoid checking my laptop in my suitcase

tcm Mar 23, 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by gold_digger (Post 28076567)
Does anybody know if the ban is already implemented on flights to the UK. I m transiting tomorrow to London and want to know if i should put my laptop/ipad in my luggage or can travel still freely.
i want to avoiid that in Istanbul they refuse to let me take both items on board but if there is no restrictions at depature i prefer to take them with me especially as i have 2,5 houes to kill in Istanbul (so could even try to add it to my bag in Istanbul)
nothing is mentioned on TK website and it seems the ban only needs to start from Saturday so i hope i can avoid checking my laptop in my suitcase

yes implementation started today. Good luck!

vg247 Mar 23, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by tcm (Post 28076588)
yes implementation started today. Good luck!

Do we have any traveler feedback as to what TK is doing during check in at the counter? Are they reminding passengers of the ban, also what they might be doing at the gates?

I know airlines discourage checking these devices, so wondering what TK and other airlines are doing to ensure there's increased awareness for their staff who handles baggage to minimize potential theft or rough handling of bags... I know I am being very very wishful here'

starflyergold Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am

1 Attachment(s)
The less than helpful TK notice on their website. Emirates on the other hand have introduced a gate electronics service.

Stewie Mac Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Any actual experience, especially of gate checking bags containing laptops at IST, gratefully accepted- I would ideally do that in a fortnight, and checking at checkin would be ... problematic

​​​ many thanks (and iOS auto spellcheck made that wrongly spelled into 'many tanks', which seems very appropriate for the sultan!)

tcm Mar 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by vg247 (Post 28076779)
Do we have any traveler feedback as to what TK is doing during check in at the counter? Are they reminding passengers of the ban, also what they might be doing at the gates?

I know airlines discourage checking these devices, so wondering what TK and other airlines are doing to ensure there's increased awareness for their staff who handles baggage to minimize potential theft or rough handling of bags... I know I am being very very wishful here'

Will be flying TK to LHR next month. So no first hand experience yet. Do not expect TGS handling this no where near as professionally as Emirates. I would guess the Gozen Security contractors and TGS staff reminding of the new policy at document check/check-in. Hopefully we will get first hand accounts soon by fellow posters.