FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

AirCanada881 Mar 24, 2017 1:23 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 28072257)
The problem is the flight back home, connecting in IST, if other European countries decide to join the UK/US ban. Realistically you would have to check your electronics into to your luggage leaving South America. :td:

in that case I'll short check to IST.

Just my 0.02c but US carriers must be having a field day on this... anyone think theres more to this ban than security?

vg247 Mar 24, 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28079493)
in that case I'll short check to IST.

Just my 0.02c but US carriers must be having a field day on this... anyone think theres more to this ban than security?

I definitely agree and feel there's more to the ban than just security...politics and the TRUMPet are at play...

Wilko, can you kindly share what you meant by short checking to IST?

I'm flying back to the U S - going from Dubai, connecting in IST, then on to SFO..

Thank you

foggy traveler Mar 24, 2017 1:39 am

ANNOUNCEMENT 2017/22
The prohibition of Electronic Device Carriage on Board for
US and United Kingdom Flights
According to Emergency Amendments from US (TSA Emergency Amendment EA-1546-17-01) and the UK (Department for Transport dated March 21, 2017), all electronic devices which are larger than mobile phones or smart phones (laptops, tablets, cameras (They are not defined as prohibited devices for United Kingdom flights), e-readers, portable DVD players, electronical game units, portable printers/scanners cb.) are prohibited to carry in cabin and must be carried only in hold baggage for the flights from both İstanbul Atatürk and Sabiha Gökçen Airport to United States and/or United Kingdom as of 25 March 2017 Saturday.
In order to avoid passenger dissatisfaction, Station Managers should follow the items below for all US & UK transfer passengers via Istanbul from 25 March 2017 Saturday (including transfer passengers who departs from outstation on 24 March 2017 Friday).

1) Outstations; Station Managers will have to inform passengers during check-in that the electronic devices are prohibited on board must be carried only in hold baggages via Istanbul to US & UK flights.

a) If passenger places his/her electronic device to his/her checked baggage, US procedures for arrival will be valid.
b) If passenger prefers not to place his/her electronical device to the checked baggage, according to the amendments, passengers have to be informed that electronic devices will be taken at boarding gate in Istanbul and will be delivered at the arrival baggage reclaim area of US & UK.

2) Atatürk&Sabiha Gökçen Airports; for all US & UK Passengers,

a) Gözen Security Services will also screen the prohibited devices on board in their routine check.
b) The prohibited devices which are detected by Gozen Security will be taken and put in a protected package and be tagged with the passenger information then protected package will be put in a luggage.
c) Those luggages which contain Electronic devices will be loaded to the Bulk section of aircrafts by TGS.
d) The list of electronic devices records will be sent to the stations via e-mail.

3) US &UK Airports, Station Managers should accompany to the deboarding process,

a) TK Staff will collect the luggages which contain electronic devices and take to the designated place in baggage reclaim area.
b) All devices will be delivered to owners according to record list by TK staff.

It is very important to follow the implementation above by Station Managers. It is highly important for all Station Managers to follow these rules.

GROUND OPERATIONS DIRECTORATE

Notes:

- There will be explanation on TROYA DCS header line about the implementation.

- According to UK announcement, mobile phone sizes can be 16.00cm Length X 9.3cm wide X 1.5cm deep.

- Station Managers in China have to inform passengers who have a transfer flight to US or UK Flights via Turkey that they can carry their electronic devices on board for China-Turkey flight of their journey according to Chinese rules. Their devices have to be collected from them at boarding gates for US &UK flights in Istanbul.

Warning: This prohibition is only except for the devices of Cockpit and Cabin crew which need to be used on board. Crew member and airline staff who hold Pass ticket owners must follow the rule.

Links:

United Kingdom;https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

USA; https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/fact-sheet-aviation-security-enhancements-select-last-point-departure-airports

AirCanada881 Mar 24, 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by vg247 (Post 28079509)
I definitely agree and feel there's more to the ban than just security...politics and the TRUMPet are at play...

Wilko, can you kindly share what you meant by short checking to IST?

I'm flying back to the U S - going from Dubai, connecting in IST, then on to SFO..

Thank you

i am flying vno ist eze ist vno

theres a one night stopover in istanbul due to flight timings so i should be able to keep my electronics with me all the way until i check in the next day for vno. For any checked bags you can ask to have them checked to ist rather than final destination due to long connection time.

vg247 Mar 24, 2017 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28079519)

theres a one night stopover in istanbul due to flight timings so i should be able to keep my electronics with me all the way until i check in the next day for vno. For any checked bags you can ask to have them checked to ist rather than final destination due to long connection time.

Great info, thank you Wilko.

dvs7310 Mar 24, 2017 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef (Post 28079519)

You wouldn't be affected at all on that itinerary. None of the airports are US or UK.

gold_digger Mar 24, 2017 7:52 am

Writing this on my ipad on the flight to London. I was told the ban will be implemented by tomorrow only. Today there was an extra sign at the gate that asked for people to switch on any device that they want to take on board but no problem to take on board.

tcmb99 Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

So far this is what I have read about TK dealing with the situation:

-TK will let you use your devices until the boarding gate if you are willing to hand your electronics there, get a tag, have your electronics stored in a designated place, and handed to you after arrival. This makes things easier for people with connections, as they can use their devices at least until their US flight. (I personally would not bother with this and just check everything with luggage).

- The ban applies to flights to US, and not flights from the US, so you have to deal with this issue on one leg only.

- TK is in the process of enhancing entertainment, wi-fi, live tv services on board and they are considering handing out tablets. (they already hand out tablets to J on short haul flight with older planes.)

- TK also says photography equipment is allowed on board for UK flights.

docbert Mar 24, 2017 10:08 am

Work colleague flying TLV-IST-SFO earlier today reported nothing different - no mention at check-in, and no extra security (beyond normal US flight security) at IST. This fits with the comments above that it starts tomorrow, which was the "96 hours" they were given.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't opted for a day in IST on the way home, as I'm on IST-SFO tomorrow.

I'm not sure which will be the lesser of two evils of putting it in checked luggage v's gate checking. Checked luggage means I get the opportunity to protect my stuff properly, but likely increases the risk of it being stolen. Gate checking means less chance of thief, but how well are they going to protect them? And where exactly will we get them back...

tcm Mar 24, 2017 11:15 am

So the official TK announcement:

Information Regarding the On-board Use of Electronic Devices on our U.S. and U.K. bound flights:

Turkish Airlines introduces its new offerings to make their U.S. and U.K. bound passengers’ journeys more comfortable during the implementation process of the electronics ban that declared by the concerned authorities.
  • Our passengers will continue to use the on board internet with their mobile phones.
  • Laptops, tablets and other electronic devices may be used until the boarding gate where they will be handed over.
  • Our transfer passengers will have to deliver their respective devices at the boarding gate on their arrival in Istanbul.
  • If passenger prefers not to place his/her electronical devices to the checked baggage during the check-in, according to the amendments, these devices will be handed over to be tagged at the boarding gate for a safe and secure transportation, and will be handed back to the passengers upon arrival at the destination. At this destination there will be Turkish Airlines’ authorized staff who will collect the luggages that contain electronic devices. These staff will take them all to the designated place in baggage reclaim area, and all devices will be delivered to owners by these staff by matching the given luggage tags with the record list they have.
Why do we do that?

As per the directive issued by the relevant authorities in their respective countries, which will be effective as from 25th of March 2017, passengers of U.S. and U.K. bound flights from/through Istanbul Ataturk Airport are not permitted to carry electronic devices, with the exception of medical devices, larger than a cell phone or smart phone on board.

All laptops, tablets, cameras*, e-readers and gaming devices must be placed in checked-in baggage at the start of any U.S.-bound or U.K.-bound journey. Turkish Airlines offers a special service from Istanbul Atatürk Airport that gives its passengers a safe and secure method of carrying their electronics in a special area in the cargo hold of the aircraft.

Transit passengers may hand over their electronic devices at the boarding gate.

The ban does not affect flights leaving from the U.S. or U.K. for Turkey and beyond.

* Bringing aboard cameras is not restricted for U.K. bound flights.

Dear Passengers,

​As being the Europe’s Best Airline for the last six years;
  • Our award-winning catering,
  • In-flight Wi-Fi availability,
  • Nearly 400 movies, Universal My Music Planet offerings of 1500 music albums with over 20,000 tracks,
  • Over 750 TV series, documentaries, short programs, live TV and sports broadcasting,
are sure to make your flight experience enjoyable.

tcm Mar 24, 2017 11:48 am

1 Attachment(s)
KK (Atlasglobal) will be using these cases for the notebooks collected on U.K. flights, lets see what kind of setup TK will do for our precious gadgets :D

Attachment 29341

Source: airkule

foggy traveler Mar 24, 2017 2:19 pm

2 Attachment(s)
TK boxes!)

docbert Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by foggy traveler (Post 28082207)
TK boxes!)

Any idea how big the sections are? Or what size those laptops were?

I went out tonight and bought a cheap laptop bag (~40 Lira!) that's just a little bigger than my 15" laptop with the idea of giving them that - but now I'm worried that it won't fit after seeing that photo.

foggy traveler Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 28082251)
Any idea how big the sections are? Or what size those laptops were?

I went out tonight and bought a cheap laptop bag (~40 Lira!) that's just a little bigger than my 15" laptop with the idea of giving them that - but now I'm worried that it won't fit after seeing that photo.

Sorry, but no idea about dimensions of such boxes. Just photos , as you see air companies must in short period make up some logical step to make transportation of electronic devices safe and avoid damages.

Renard Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm

This makes me feel a lot better. I heard that EK was doing something like this. Doing something like this reduces dramatically the chance of theft and damage I suspect.

I use a CPAP too.... the laptop was bad but the CPAP pretty much put flying TK back to the states a 'no go' for me... replacing a stolen or broken CPAP would be a MEGA hassle as it involves medical insurance, doctor prescriptions for it, etc. I have no problem handing it over for the flight as long as I know I'll get it back at the end safe and in working condition.