FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1830818-electronics-ban-us-uk-bound-flights-now-lifted.html)

lhrpete Jul 23, 2017 5:32 am

I read in The Times yesterday that the ban on TK flights will be lifted by Wednesday of this week. Apparently checking the rigour of gate security is key to this and it looks like TK are to be passed on Monday or Tuesday.

I still think the whole thing is a load of nonsense inspired by our paranoid UK government.

starflyergold Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am

The electronics ban on flights to the UK has now been lifted.

CoweyB Jul 30, 2017 1:55 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 28618970)
The electronics ban on flights to the UK has now been lifted.

according to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-uk-aviation-security only from SAW but not from IST or the smaller airports.

The DfT advice says:

"Restrictions remain in place at other airports and will be lifted on a case-by-case basis once the UK government has verified that airlines have put in place alternative security measures, and that it is safe and proportionate to do so.

The following airports continue to be affected by the restrictions:
  • Turkey:
    • Istanbul Atatürk
    • Izmir
    • Bodrum
    • Antalya
    • Dalaman

Hopefully IST will follow soon.

starflyergold Jul 30, 2017 2:44 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CoweyB (Post 28625038)
according to https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security only from SAW but not from IST or the smaller airports.

The DfT advice says:

"Restrictions remain in place at other airports and will be lifted on a case-by-case basis once the UK government has verified that airlines have put in place alternative security measures, and that it is safe and proportionate to do so.

The following airports continue to be affected by the restrictions:
  • Turkey:
    • Istanbul Atatürk
    • Izmir
    • Bodrum
    • Antalya
    • Dalaman

Hopefully IST will follow soon.

Needless to say that info is wrong. All TK flights (it varies by airline) are ok.

CoweyB Jul 30, 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold (Post 28625115)
Needless to say that info is wrong. All TK flights (it varies by airline) are ok.

Let's see if the Department for Transport update on Monday.

Truffles Jul 30, 2017 10:10 am

Mrs T checked in at TPE to fly to LHR today via IST and was forced to put electronics in hold baggage.

CoweyB Jul 31, 2017 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Truffles (Post 28626179)
Mrs T checked in at TPE to fly to LHR today via IST and was forced to put electronics in hold baggage.

I checked the advice on gov.uk from the Department of Transport again today and it still only shows SAW - although there are hints that other airports will follow.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security

I note it says: This page will be updated on an airport-by-airport basis, once restrictions have been lifted on all affected airlines serving the airport in question and is dated 28/7. Given poor Mrs T's experience on 30/7 it would seem to be still in force.

TH310 Aug 1, 2017 8:06 am

I am currently on TK 009 (IST-LAX) using my laptop to type this. All laptops were examined. Also was surprised to see the dreaded SSSS on my BP and husband's BP also. I wondered if everyone received a secondary screening, since it certainly looked like that at the gate.

Adam1222 Aug 1, 2017 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by TH310 (Post 28633898)
I am currently on TK 009 (IST-LAX) using my laptop to type this. All laptops were examined. Also was surprised to see the dreaded SSSS on my BP and husband's BP also. I wondered if everyone received a secondary screening, since it certainly looked like that at the gate.

yes, everyone has been getting secondary screenings on US bound flights since the ban was lifted. All laptops and carryons examined, and passengers swabbed for explosive residue. Three stage process when you get to the gate. 1) Standard BP and passport check, 2) second computer-based check, 3) Sex segregated lines leading to baggage/laptop/swabs.

gnomey Aug 1, 2017 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 28636101)
yes, everyone has been getting secondary screenings on US bound flights since the ban was lifted. All laptops and carryons examined, and passengers swabbed for explosive residue. Three stage process when you get to the gate. 1) Standard BP and passport check, 2) second computer-based check, 3) Sex segregated lines leading to baggage/laptop/swabs.

Is it just laptop being swabbed at IST now ? What abt tablets and slr cameras ?

Adam1222 Aug 1, 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 28636149)

Is it just laptop being swabbed at IST now ? What abt tablets and slr cameras ?

I dont remember about tablets and SLR cameras, but waistbands too.

TH310 Aug 4, 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222 (Post 28636101)

Thanks for confirming. That is exactly what I experienced.

amigoflyer Aug 31, 2017 11:13 am

Does anyone know if powerbanks are now allowed at IST/TK flights?

Thx!

hfly Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Yes, as said in the title it has all been rescinded.

Adam1222 Aug 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by amigoflyer (Post 28760638)
Does anyone know if powerbanks are now allowed at IST/TK flights?

Thx!

To/from where?

No problem IST-US