Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by leesg123
Just to summarise my case, before I seek everyone's input:

1. 2nd Sept 2023 to 2nd Jan 2023 is my 4 Month status challenge. I managed to clock 21k miles during end of Nov 2023.
2. My expiry is now extended by 8 month to 2nd Sep 2024.
3. Since i have clocked more than 15k miles, my status is protected, and it will be extended again to 2nd Sep 2025.

Here is my question,

Q1: In Dec 2024, i will clock about 21k miles, assuming I am no adding any more miles to it, when it comes to 2nd Sep 2025 renewal, if based on 1 year period of clocking 25k miles to maintain status, I would have failed (since they will look at Sep 2024 to Sep 2025). Or will they look at the 2 years period (Sep 2023 to Sep 2025) where we need 37.5k miles in order to maintain status?

Q2: Assuming status is maintained again from 2nd Sep 2025, will it for a period of 2 years or 1 year?

Thank you!
Q1: You would need 37500 miles from September 2024 till September 2025 as part of your 2nd year requalification. The miles that you have earned during the first year would not count since it is being counted as for your status match retention period. The mileage that you have flown from September 2023 till September 2024 would only count towards qualifying for Elite Plus at this stage.

Q2: It would be for 2 years from September 2025 till September 2027.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
25k in Star Alliance miles within the second year after the status match will extend the status further 12 months (out of experience of my friends and family). So once your status is extended by one year after having collected 15.000 TK miles you need to collect 25.000 miles to extend the staus by two more years.

month 1-4 after the match: fly one international Turkish Airlines flight to extend by 8 months
month 1-12 after the match: collect 15.000 miles on Turkish Airlines flights to extend for another year
months 13-24 after the match: collect 25.000 Star Alliance miles in month 13-24 and status will be extended by two years.

after that you are in the regular requalification cycle
This is interesting, months 13-24 after the match, some reports 37500 Star Alliance miles. I wonder which is the 'correct' version.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
Proof of a OW emerald?

I submitted a status match with the copy of screen shot of my AA plat pro with expiration date, last few months of account activity and a copy of my passport. I got a message asking me to submit the front and back of my FF card with one world emerald logo. Where the hell I can find this?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Just want to check my understanding of status miles. I'm looking to do a status match from BA GGL, i.e. OW emerald, and in particular the second part where I need 15K status miles to extend to two years. I think I'd match to Elite. The initial flight to extend to a year is presumably in any class and very easy to do. The aim is to sustain *A status, so the status match is just a starting point.

I see from ITA Matrix I can do OSL-IST-BOS for about £1500 with all legs in J fare class. According to a calculator I found online this would generate 10K status points in each direction based on my new elite status, and so easily do the 15k qualification for the status match (see below). I guess the excess would count against the next collection target?

Have I got any part of this significantly wrong? I'm not saying I'd do this particular flight but it's helpful to have a tangible example so I can judge how difficult it is to get through the hoops. Is there any difference in earning if I use an OTA rather than booking direct with TK?

Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I see from ITA Matrix I can do OSL-IST-BOS for about £1500 with all legs in J fare class. According to a calculator I found online this would generate 10K status points in each direction based on my new elite status, and so easily do the 15k qualification for the status match (see below). I guess the excess would count against the next collection target?
Have I got any part of this significantly wrong? I'm not saying I'd do this particular flight but it's helpful to have a tangible example so I can judge how difficult it is to get through the hoops. Is there any difference in earning if I use an OTA rather than booking direct with TK?
With those flights you will secure the two years of the status.
As example, the membership(Elite) period is 06.24-05.26, collecting 37,5k status miles between 06.25-05.26 would extend the status for more two years, until 05.28. Starting from 06.26 you can use also the first year 25k status miles renewal option or 37,5k in two years.
No status miles collecting difference when booking through OTA but when schedule change occurs, handling would be through the booking channel used. TK direct booking is strongly recommended.
bisonrav likes this.

Last edited by Jaenks; Feb 20, 2024 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:00 am

Chase or amex booking counting for status match?

I have a quick question I haven't seen the answer to after scrolling and searching on this thread and the other thread regarding tickets booked on Turkish using third party sites like Chase or American Express travel to take advantage of their credit card points but act as a cash booking on Turkish. The wording of the status match challenge just says that they need to be international Turkish Airlines flights. Do they have to be booked on Turkish directly in order to count? Does anyone here have data points of having flown using flights booked through those portals vs on Turkish directly and whether there was an issue with the status match? *A gold would be worth paying a little extra for so it's not the end of the world if it has to be directly through Turkish.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Katskill
I have a quick question I haven't seen the answer to after scrolling and searching on this thread and the other thread regarding tickets booked on Turkish using third party sites like Chase or American Express travel to take advantage of their credit card points but act as a cash booking on Turkish. The wording of the status match challenge just says that they need to be international Turkish Airlines flights. Do they have to be booked on Turkish directly in order to count? Does anyone here have data points of having flown using flights booked through those portals vs on Turkish directly and whether there was an issue with the status match? *A gold would be worth paying a little extra for so it's not the end of the world if it has to be directly through Turkish.
I had no issues booking via a TA.
Katskill likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:59 am

Business upgrade clarification

Hi all- based on reading this thread I was able to successfully apply for the status match Delta Platinum to TK elite after only 2 days of going back and forth with Turkish over my documents (originally tried Alaska but only had award flights which don't show up as flights in the history on your account for some reason compared to delta which shows everything under receipts.) I have an upcoming flights IAH-IST-HAM and then return flight HAM-IST-SFO that will get me to the 15,000 Status miles based on my calculations- All Q fare class. When I go into the flight I see if offers me the opportunity for a business upgrade using points- while expensive 65k for long haul legs, or 25k for short- I'm tempted to try it for one leg since I have never flown business on such a long flight- (only ever done JFK to CDG once in J and it felt short from a sleep perspective) Reading the terms on the business upgrade it says the following "
  • Miles earned on Economy Class reservations are valid on Business Upgrade transactions; there are no extra Mile earnings.
  • Passengers who upgrade their flight class to Business Class are entitled to a refund on their seat purchase in Economy Class. A paid seat refund is automatically performed for class upgrades performed via the website, mobile app, call center and sales offices (paid with virtual POS).
Does this mean that if I spent 65k points to upgrade one segment, IAH to Ist or IST to SFO I'd get the cash I paid for the economy leg back? Would I still then get the status miles? I know 65k is the cost of an award flight in business. I don't want to mess up the miles run aspect of the trip since it added a few hours of extra flying to my routing, but if I got the cash for the leg back it would feel more worth it than spending that on top of what I've already paid given the recent devaluation. Anyone who has experience doing this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:23 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Katskill
Hi all- based on reading this thread I was able to successfully apply for the status match Delta Platinum to TK elite after only 2 days of going back and forth with Turkish over my documents (originally tried Alaska but only had award flights which don't show up as flights in the history on your account for some reason compared to delta which shows everything under receipts.) I have an upcoming flights IAH-IST-HAM and then return flight HAM-IST-SFO that will get me to the 15,000 Status miles based on my calculations- All Q fare class. When I go into the flight I see if offers me the opportunity for a business upgrade using points- while expensive 65k for long haul legs, or 25k for short- I'm tempted to try it for one leg since I have never flown business on such a long flight- (only ever done JFK to CDG once in J and it felt short from a sleep perspective) Reading the terms on the business upgrade it says the following "
  • Miles earned on Economy Class reservations are valid on Business Upgrade transactions; there are no extra Mile earnings.
  • Passengers who upgrade their flight class to Business Class are entitled to a refund on their seat purchase in Economy Class. A paid seat refund is automatically performed for class upgrades performed via the website, mobile app, call center and sales offices (paid with virtual POS).
Does this mean that if I spent 65k points to upgrade one segment, IAH to Ist or IST to SFO I'd get the cash I paid for the economy leg back? Would I still then get the status miles? I know 65k is the cost of an award flight in business. I don't want to mess up the miles run aspect of the trip since it added a few hours of extra flying to my routing, but if I got the cash for the leg back it would feel more worth it than spending that on top of what I've already paid given the recent devaluation. Anyone who has experience doing this would be greatly appreciated.
No - it means that if you've paid to select a specific seat in economy, and then upgrade to business, you can get a refund of the seat selection fee. Reference is to 'seat' and not flight or ticket...
Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it normally is
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
No - it means that if you've paid to select a specific seat in economy, and then upgrade to business, you can get a refund of the seat selection fee. Reference is to 'seat' and not flight or ticket...
Remember, if it seems too good to be true, it normally is
thanks. That’s why I figured. And it sounds Iike after you upgrade the only perks you get are the actual seat, no lounge access or better hotel? Maybe better to save the points for a later flight to book actual J when I don’t need the status miles
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Abdolujet?

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
the rules are that the 15.000 status miles have to be earned on international TK flights. status miles earned with partner airlines do not count for the status match status extension.
Once you have met that requirement all followup requalifications take into account all status miles earned on *A flights.
Is it possible to fulfill the 1 international flight requirement on an Abdolujet flight?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by slxtynrt18
Is it possible to fulfill the 1 international flight requirement on an Abdolujet flight?
Haven't they divested that carrier, or are about to?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
AnadoluJet is transitioning to AJet on March 31, 2024 and would be a separate brand thus I would expect that it would be business as usual and yes for AnadoluJet flights until March 30, 2024 ( inclusive ); however, not for AJet flights after March 31, 2024.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:41 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AnadoluJet is transitioning to AJet on March 31, 2024 and would be a separate brand thus I would expect that it would be business as usual and yes for AnadoluJet flights until March 30, 2024 ( inclusive ); however, not for AJet flights after March 31, 2024.
I received an e-Mail by Miles&Smiles that AJet is not a part of Miles&Smiles. So you won't have any benefits or mileage credit flying AJet.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:29 pm

Trying to understand how the status match actually works timeline wise.

The status match period kicks off April 7th for Elite.

Will fly internationally on TK during May, business
Then fly another business a few days later on TK. Not planning too many *A flights for the remainder of the 8 months, but some business flights might come up.

I know the 8 months period will happen because of the 1st international flight.

However - what flights will count towards the 15k status miles for the 1st year? The 1st flight? The 2nd flight? Any subsequent flights (either on *A or on TK which is less likely to happen)?

And how do I calculate if 15k is feasible?
(not sure if it is, if it's TK flights only and the 1st/2nd don't count)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.