Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Update January 2020:

According to statusmatcher.com TK will only issue the the status match challenge to those holders of the following status:

Oneworld Emerald
Finnair Plus Gold (Oneworld Sapphire)
Skyteam Elite Plus
Emirates Gold/Platinum
Etihad Gold
Oman Air Gold

Other Gold Card holders including *G are out of luck.

Please report your experience in this thread and note the useful information in the Wiki below.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (note list of matchable status above)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you're within a status match, the bar would start counting after the end of the 1st year. So ignore it until you're in your 2nd year.
Yes... that's the point that everybody needs to understand.

As soon as you apply for a status match, all normal rules are suspended for a year. It doesn't matter what your account statement says.

I believe that the only exception is if you manage 80k for E+.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by craigthemif

As soon as you apply for a status match, all normal rules are suspended for a year. It doesn't matter what your account statement says.

Thank you. That would make sense as the ticker is counting status miles towards Elite+.

Well, I guess I will just get the cheapest ticket for my next journey which will see me qualify as there is no use for surplus status miles.

Thanks again
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
I finally got my Elite status match today from EY and WY Gold, I was expecting a quick process reading the experiences here but it took two weeks of several back and forward messages with TK, the first time they asked to add the pics also of back side of physical cards , quite funny considering TK is one airline only giving virtual cards. Then total silence for one week, thus I sent another feedback with again all the docs attached, replied with a request to show WY card and EY statements that I already included but they probably forget to check all the PDF pages and not the first one only
By the way last resent of all docs went well and finally matched with the usual 4 months challenge as explained above ^
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif

If I end up doing the status match

1) Will the 160% elite bonus J fare tickets count towards the 80K E+ requirement or only for award miles?
2) Can I do all 80K in the first 4 months? or do I need to do the one intl flight, followed by the 80K in the 8 month extension?
3) Is E+ is effective for 1 year of hitting 80K, followed by another 2 years for successful qualification? I'm a bit rusty but with TK but with what I comprehend: 12 months to hit 80K which grants 2 further years of status, of which during those 2 years you can extend E+ by 40K in 1 year or 60K in 2 years. I can only imagine status match might further complicate that.

Apologies in advance since I'm sure the qualification windows are asked here quite a bit. Just want to make sure my understanding is in line with the rules.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ALGU
If I end up doing the status match

1) Will the 160% elite bonus J fare tickets count towards the 80K E+ requirement or only for award miles?
2) Can I do all 80K in the first 4 months? or do I need to do the one intl flight, followed by the 80K in the 8 month extension?
3) Is E+ is effective for 1 year of hitting 80K, followed by another 2 years for successful qualification? I'm a bit rusty but with TK but with what I comprehend: 12 months to hit 80K which grants 2 further years of status, of which during those 2 years you can extend E+ by 40K in 1 year or 60K in 2 years. I can only imagine status match might further complicate that.

Apologies in advance since I'm sure the qualification windows are asked here quite a bit. Just want to make sure my understanding is in line with the rules.
1- It would count both as status and bonus miles so they would count on your way to Elite Plus.
2- Elite Plus is something regardless of the status match and you could do it anytime. You could do it in the first 4 months as well.
3- Hitting Elite Plus may be worth depending on your travel pattern; you would be downgraded to Star Silver for a minimum of 4 years, annually you would have 2 free upgrades on TK flights, you would be on the top of the upgrade list ( in case of overbooking in Y ) as an ELPL, etc...

Status match rules only apply for Elite qualification/requalification. Elite Plus qualification/requalification depends on the actual 80.000 miles and ( 40.000/60.000 miles for renewal ) even when you are on a status match.
ALGU likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:35 pm

1- It would count both as status and bonus miles so they would count on your way to Elite Plus.
2- Elite Plus is something regardless of the status match and you could do it anytime. You could do it in the first 4 months as well.
3- Hitting Elite Plus may be worth depending on your travel pattern; you would be downgraded to Star Silver for a minimum of 4 years, annually you would have 2 free upgrades on TK flights, you would be on the top of the upgrade list ( in case of overbooking in Y ) as an ELPL, etc...

Status match rules only apply for Elite qualification/requalification. Elite Plus qualification/requalification depends on the actual 80.000 miles and ( 40.000/60.000 miles for renewal ) even when you are on a status match.
Thank you for your response and your helpfulness in the entire forum. Let me try some concrete dates for examples. I start the status match on Apr 1st, do the first flight on April 10, hit 25K on April 15th, hit 40K on April 20th, hit 80K on April 30th. When does my E+ expire if I have no more activity after that? Am I correct in assuming I'll have Elite status for another 2 years after being downgraded and then Classic Plus 2 years after that?

Can I use upgrades for my spouse, family member, or anyone?

Last edited by ALGU; Nov 19, 2019 at 9:49 pm Reason: Added question about upgrades
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you for your response and your helpfulness in the entire forum. Let me try some concrete dates for examples. I start status match on Apr 1st, do first flight on April 10, hit 25K on April 15th, hit 40K on April 20th, hit 80K on April 30th. When does my E+ expire if I have no more activity after that? Am I correct in assuming I'll have Elite status for another 2 years after being downgraded and then Class Plus 2 years after that?
You would be Elite Plus on 30 April 2020 and you would be Elite Plus until 30 April 2022 and the status match would end. If become Elite Plus on 1 May 2020, you would be Elite Plus until 31 May 2022. It's technically ( Last Day of Month/The Month You've Qualified to Elite Plus/[Year that you have qualified+2])

And yes, when you are downgraded you are downgraded tier by tier if you don't make the requirements for renewing your existing status.

Mileage upgrades could be done for everyone, Free upgrades could be only redeemed for the card holder.
ALGU likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:49 pm

Could you clarify this? Is it Star Gold for a minimum of 4 years: Elite Plus (2 years) + Elite (2 years)?

You would be Elite Plus on 30 April 2020 and you would be Elite Plus until 30 April 2022 and the status match would end. If become Elite Plus on 1 May 2020, you would be Elite Plus until 31 May 2022. It's technically ( Last Day of Month/The Month You've Qualified to Elite Plus/[Year that you have qualified+2])

And yes, when you are downgraded you are downgraded tier by tier if you don't make the requirements for renewing your existing status.

Mileage upgrades could be done for everyone, Free upgrades could be only redeemed for the card holder.
Thanks for pointing that out. If I make another 40K in 10 May 2020 after hitting 80K in 30 April 2020, then my Elite Plus would be valid until 31 May 2024?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you clarify this? Is it Star Gold for a minimum of 4 years: Elite Plus (2 years) + Elite (2 years)?
Yes

Thanks for pointing that out. If I make another 40K in 10 May 2020 after hitting 80K in 30 April 2020, then my Elite Plus would be valid until 31 May 2024?
For status renewals, it's just +2 years from your original expire date so that would be 30 April 2024 regardless when you hit the 40K after qualifying for Elite Plus.
ALGU likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:57 pm

Yes

For status renewals, it's just +2 years from your original expire date so that would be 30 April 2024 regardless when you hit the 40K after qualifying for Elite Plus.
People on flyertalk are so helpful! Thanks for your patience and insight. Excellent clarity, I barely had any confusion vs when I read the TK website.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People on flyertalk are so helpful! Thanks for your patience and insight. Excellent clarity, I barely had any confusion vs when I read the TK website.
We're all here to help!
TK website and the translation to English would generally give you this face ->
craigthemif and FlyTK like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: UA1k
Any Advice Appreciated

I have reviewed the posts and would appreciate some advice. I fly between Mexico City and Africa (various cities) 5-7 times per year. I just recently noticed that TK serves MEX. I currently fly United/*A and have United 1K status.

Given the improved connections and my preference for TK I will start flying them in any event, but here are my questions:
1. Would TK do a status match and if so would there be any benefit for me (e.g. better mileage accrual rate)?
2. What would be the best strategy for me as I have UA1k for 2020... should I just start flying TK now and accrue to TK or is there benefit to accrue to UA MilesPlus in 2020 and then switch to accrue to TK thereafter?
3. Any other observations, hints or advice that you would offer?
... Many thanks in advance!!!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WLobo
I have reviewed the posts and would appreciate some advice. I fly between Mexico City and Africa (various cities) 5-7 times per year. I just recently noticed that TK serves MEX. I currently fly United/*A and have United 1K status.

Given the improved connections and my preference for TK I will start flying them in any event, but here are my questions:
1. Would TK do a status match and if so would there be any benefit for me (e.g. better mileage accrual rate)?
2. What would be the best strategy for me as I have UA1k for 2020... should I just start flying TK now and accrue to TK or is there benefit to accrue to UA MilesPlus in 2020 and then switch to accrue to TK thereafter?
3. Any other observations, hints or advice that you would offer?
... Many thanks in advance!!!
I know that you may be new to FT, but your question has very little to do with the status match opportunity - especially since AFAIK TK don't match other *A statuses - and a lot to do with choosing between two different *A programmes, which belongs elsewhere.

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:38 am

They no longer match United right?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:25 pm

Hi-

I have AA Gold and sent it into match. And, got the following response:
Thank you for your interest in Miles&Smiles, the frequent flyer program which offers a whole world of benefits.

However, the level of your frequent flyer program membership is not equivalent to required level (One World Emerald required). As such, we’re unable to fulfill your request to match your membership status to Elite.

Your membership status in another frequent flyer program must be equivalent to at least Miles&Smiles Elite status to be matched.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.