Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CoweyB
Update January 2016: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold , Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/01/2017 - CoweyB. There appear to be issues with TK automatically extending Elite membership for a second year even if the 15,000 status miles have been accumulated. Some FTers are reporting downgrades to Classic Plus instead
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Their website is not the greatest. I usually use use a mix of ITA, THY and Hipmunk to find my flights. A quick search on ITA throws up BOS-IST-BOS 01/25-01/30 for $750. $780 is you want to fly back on the Saturday.

Or

JFK-IST-JFK 01/25-01/29 for $800

But is you are only after *G for lounge access then are there not paid lounge options that might work out cheaper? I don't know what the lounge options are in the US
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UAL Silver
Thanks...I'll try your suggestions on websites. While lounge access is nice, you're right that it's not worth $700 in itself. However a trip to IST might be fun if I can get a decent fare in late March. Seems like it's the same price from DC. The hard part will be getting 12,000 miles in 12 months since I don't think my U class flight from Oct will do much (it was only 50% credit because it was U...no mileage credit on United, Miles&More or COPA)....so I have to post to TK. It will be interesting to see if the posting of a flight prior to the match will trip the 12 month wire. I am going to go ahead and submit my return portion for mileage credit. If it works to extend my status I'll let everyone on here know. The thing is, how do you know if you're extended? Do you get a permanent card or is there some other indication on the account? I know I ask a lot of questions and I would direct them to TK if they could only answer them! I see why you can love and hate TK. Great food and lounge but a complete mess when it comes to booking or getting questions answered!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Keep an eye out on this thread Cheapest TK long-haul business? there you will seen when deals are posted and with a J fare or two you should have no problem renewing. Depends of course on how much you want to throw at this thing.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jimaleg
You clearly didn't read my post.
I DID! I DID! But i'm still puzzled why, as an infrequent TK passenger, you have targeted TK. But no matter, that's your business!

... my flight didn't extend my status because it was technically before my status match (which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard).
I think it's pretty standard for challenge to run from the status match date rather than from the date the application was made. I could be wrong though!

Anyway, can anyone actually offer some constructive advice on how to get a Turkish air international segment without going to Istanbul or is that not possible?
I think the SE Asian tag flights ended, so you are left with South America: TK doesn't sell Bogota to Panama City, so effectively that leaves only Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires.

... will an international segment on star alliance partner credit to TK qualify me for 12 months? None of these questions TK can answer ...
Sorry, no.

I doubt the forum will have the answer either
Well, you're wrong
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well, you're wrong
^

Here is another question about a small detail in the status match scheme:

Do the miles acquired from the first international TK flight count toward the 15K miles in order to extend the status for another year?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
^

Do the miles acquired from the first international TK flight count toward the 15K miles in order to extend the status for another year?
Yes.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mict
Yes.
Nice, thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I DID! I DID! But i'm still puzzled why, as an infrequent TK passenger, you have targeted TK. But no matter, that's your business!

I think it's pretty standard for challenge to run from the status match date rather than from the date the application was made. I could be wrong though!

I
Here's the story: I got SA gold on COPA from a United Status match in 2015 that expires 12/31/16. I lost my elite status in United on 1/31/2016. I read about TK doing SM's in late August 2016 since I knew I was flying TK in Oct 2016 I immediately applied (6 weeks ahead of my flight). I agree status matches are based on the grant as opposed to the application date. I never dreamt that it would take 3 months to get the match.
At this point, you're right...flying TK just to extend my SA gold is a rather expensive way to get SA gold (plus I'm elite plus on TK which doesn't provide much more than the lounge access on TK). Had they granted the SM by my return flight in Oct, I would have had status through Oct 2017 (and could have leisurely taken my 2017 summer trip to central Europe). Where I messed up is once I realized I didn't get the match by the time I returned from my TK flight, I should have held off emailing TK until 12/31/16 then my match would have been good through at least April 30 and I could have flew in April vs. chilly March. You see, I electively go to Central Europe once a year (ideally summer but early fall or late spring will work) and domestic US much more (mostly using United Miles since I have no status)....Thank you United for failure to recognize an almost 3/4 million miler! TK, while great food in coach, is really a 2 hour waste of time each way since the IST hub is not central Europe. I could deal with this time waste if I could use their lounge and have SA gold through most of 2017. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it to move my summer/spring/fall central Europe to late March. The other thing is I buy cheap fares so I don't even get full mileage credit on TK (I only got 25% on my Oct U fare.... United or M&M was zero accrual!). It's very unlikely I will re-achieve elite status with United (unless they do a status match...which I would try if I had status at the end of 2017 since United last status match was the last quarter of 2012...but I won't have status unless I extend TK...I). I'm basically out of options. After my match expires, I will be living hand to mouth on elite status and United club passes (700K lifetime on United and I have zero current status). It's like begging after being rich...it's harder to go down than up! Hope everyone enjoys this.

Last edited by jimaleg; Dec 13, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
^

Do the miles posted immediately before the status match count toward the 15K miles?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:08 am

Is it important, that the TK flight credited before any other flight or will others still count for the 15.000 miles if there was no TK flight credited before them?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:28 am

does anyone understand this question?

Originally Posted by 31570324
Is it important, that the TK flight credited before any other flight or will others still count for the 15.000 miles if there was no TK flight credited before them?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:08 am

Well, we will take a flight which should bring about 28.000 miles with another star alliance airline. Not sure if we have time to get on a TK flight before this flight, can we also do it after we collect the necessary miles, as long as it's within 3 month of the match?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Can i avail a status match from AB gold to TK Elite ?

I moved to Canada and almost every route is owned by *A.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manuv
Can i avail a status match from AB gold to TK Elite ?

I moved to Canada and almost every route is owned by *A.
You can try but they usually ask for OW Emerald status.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Mict
You can try but they usually ask for OW Emerald status.

Thanks. I can't even get past their horrendous sign up page. Its throwing me validation error which I am unable to figure out for last 30+ mins.

District getting populated as DIGERS and mobile & Telephone number is never accepted. The webpage is not even highlighting where the mistake is. !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.