Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CoweyB
Update January 2016: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold , Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/01/2017 - CoweyB. There appear to be issues with TK automatically extending Elite membership for a second year even if the 15,000 status miles have been accumulated. Some FTers are reporting downgrades to Classic Plus instead
Print Wikipost

TK status match (2016)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
TK status match (2016)

FAQ 7: TK status match (2016)

TK does operate a discretionary status match programme. The rules are not published and and there is no right to a status match.

The status match is a recent development and consistency does not always seem to be the case. If you are gold/platinum/emerald or have any other shiny elite card it is worth trying.

Unusually for a *A carrier TK seem to be matching other Star Alliance Golds and not just Oneworld or Sky Team elites.

They are not matching to mid level i.e. classic plus (Star Alliance Silver) or non alliance carriers (such as Emirates, Etihad etc.).

How to match:

Send an webmail requesting a match and include a PDF of your latest account statement and a picture of your card.

Note that the process can take anything from one to more than four weeks (or much longer).

In some cases patience will be rewarded but you may need to remind them if you have not heard in 4 weeks. Call centre staff know nothing about the status match so no point in calling.

Card dispatch:

There are conflicting experiences about the dispatch of the card pack. Some FTs have been told that the card will only be sent out once your credit some miles (any miles) to your Miles & Smiles account. Others received it without.

If you have been matched but not yet received the card and happen to pass through IST you can pick up the card at the M&S helpdesk in IST. (see this post for a slightly blurry pic of the card booth)

Please post successful/unsuccessful status matches below. Last year's thread might give you an idea how the status match works as well: FAQ 7: TK status match (2015)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asiana
M&S status match other than Gold

A quick question here. Did a search in the TK status match 2014 and 2015 threads but found no specific answer.

I currently have Altitude 35K status with Air Canada (expiring end of Feb, 2016). Just did 6 flights in the last three weeks. I would like to status-match it to M&S program. Is this possible? and if so, what status level does it equate to in the M&S prog.
Cheers
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite+; MR Titanium; HH Diamond
Sent the request around 7 PM, 29 December.
The webmail included pics of my Millemiglia Freccia Alata card both front and back, passport front page and statement with some flights in May and June.
I got Freccia Alata via status match earlier in December, but I did have some miles credited (~10k) from two trips to South America.

This morning (3 January) I received a mail from them that I have been granted Elite, but with the new challenge they have been running, and I have until 4 May to do my first international flight.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:06 am

Any one??!!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: TK*G
I don't think they match anything lower than *G. That being said, there is absolutely no harm in trying. I wouldn't send anything that explicitly shows that you are *S (eg. card picture), and hope for a match to Elite.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess no harm in trying like you said. But I also think I will have to send them a photo of my 35K card. How else would they know that what I say is true?

Will submit all docs tonight and hope for the best.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: TK*G
I think chances of getting a match to Classic Plus are really slim, as I have never heard of this happen. But they match a variety of cards to Elite. So you should try for a match to Elite.

Normally for a status match request, you would send in a photo of your card. But in your case I would try my luck without the picture of the card, because I presume it has a *S logo on it, which is a red flag that your status is not equivalent to Elite. If the TK employee approving your status match doesn't already know that Altitude Elite 35K is lower than *G, he/she may match you to Elite. It does require a bit of attention to realize that Elite 35K is *S while Elite 50K is *G.

Just send in an email saying that your status is equivalent to M&S Elite and request a match, attach a screenshot of your Altitude 35K account as proof.

You might go as far as photoshopping the card photo to show the *G logo instead of *S and send that in. But that would be fraud, so I would advise against it.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by cancruiser
A quick question here. Did a search in the TK status match 2014 and 2015 threads but found no specific answer.
The answer is there about 50 times in the TK status match thread 2015, and it's there right in the WIKI post on top.

It's also right there in the new Status Match 2016 thread: in the WIKI post on top ("*A:...they are only matching Star Gold/ OW emerald/ST elite plus...")
and also in the very first post: ("..They are not matching to mid level i.e. classic plus (Star Alliance Silver)...")
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...ch-2016-a.html

Please use that thread for all questions about the status match and don't open a new one as this will get too confusing.

For more details about the rules and what you have to send in, see that thread.

For a few hundreds reports, see the 2015 thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...ch-2015-a.html
When you do not have *G, they just say "no, we only match *G/OW E/ST e+ to TK elite" (happened to me with AB gold which is OW sapphire).

MODs, can we please close this thread here with a reference to the 2 threads above? Thanks.
------> Update: Has been done, separate thread has now been moved here to the main status match thread as suggested. Thanks!^

Last edited by zap7; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:55 am Reason: subthread has been moved to main status match thread, doing that was the topic of this original post
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: TK *G Elite, AZ Gold.
Chill man new op is just asking
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by jimat3c
Chill man new op is just asking
It's all cool, he has his answers. By pointing to WIKI threads on top, he and others who didn't know about them or didn't look will find it faster next time for the next question.

Closing subthreads and keep everything together really helps everyone: ---> has been done, the separate discussion is now here where it belongs. Keeping this post so new members can see the reasons why it's better to keep everything together (instead of posting new threads for the same topic over and over):
It's to prevent others who search weeks later from being confused when we scatter different opinions and only half of the information without keeping it up to date (that happens when we do a new thread every time):
They didn't require a passport copy three months ago, they granted two years till 3 weeks ago - now it's all different.
No passport copy the first time? Wait some days or weeks longer for your match.
No TK flight during the 4 months following the match? You just lost your matched status and the opportunity to match again. So having out of date infos in scattered threads can really hurt.
But In the main thread you'll find it all updated. ^

Last edited by zap7; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:58 am Reason: subthread has been moved to main status match thread, doing that was the topic of this original post
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:15 pm

Thanks to all who replied. Also, my apologies for posting outside the Wiki thread. I assumed it was a "Wiki" style (like Wikipedia) in which only facts and conclusions are posted rather than individual inquiries/questions. I guess I was mistaken. Sorry again..
Cheers
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by cancruiser
Thanks to all who replied. Also, my apologies for posting outside the Wiki thread. I assumed it was a "Wiki" style (like Wikipedia) in which only facts and conclusions are posted rather than individual inquiries/questions. I guess I was mistaken. Sorry again..
Cheers
Hi cancruiser, no worries - no harm done. Welcome to FT!
I didn't know for the first weeks, too, which resulted in me asking questions and waiting hours or days for a reply I could have found right away in the moment I asked So I learned to first read the FAQs (FAQ 7 is about the match) and expand WIKI posts if I found any
WIKI post means there is a WIKI on top of the thread which you can expand (it says "click here to display full wiki"). So you have a comprehensive, up to date summary of the important rules that is "sticky" on top of every page.

Then there can be hundreds of pages below with hundreds of posts = reports who got matched, what went wrong or helped, what changed or different experiences (eg some people receive their card in 8 days, others wait 6 weeks). It's also the right place to post your questions (or answers or own experiences with or political views about the topic): Do a new post in the thread for them.
If something changes about the general rules, someone will edit the WIKI post on top (eg if TK suddenly requires a passport copy, causing delays if you don't include it). Another example would be a thread about which carry on cases fit UAs sizer boxes, with the WIKI on top containing a list which Rimowa cases apparently fit so it's easy to look up without getting lost in all the hundreds of pages.

And as explained above it's best to keep it in one thread -especially for status matches - so everyone will have the updated information when the rules change like they did twice within the last few months for the TK match...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:08 am

Thanks MODs

Thanks MODs for keeping this together and moving the separate thread here and also for keeping all the FT posts in order for us ^

And thanks everyone for posting answers, opinions and personal experiences here - and also thanks for posting questions so others can find the answer later immediately because some of us already asked what they want to know, too ^.

Let's make 2016 a great travel year together
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:43 am

data points for receiving the card

Because it was often asked how long it'll take to receive the shiny card last year, here are two more data points:

When I did the match it just took one week for the card to arrive in Germany after they had updated my status to elite.
Since then I re-qualified for another 2 years and made it to elite+ (by collecting the 80k status miles in one year) last November. This time it took them 7 weeks from updating the status in my profile until the card arrived in Germany. So if you're in a hurry to receive the card be aware...
It might be inconsistency from TK or it might be that they only ship it once a months and if you're past the date it could take up to 8 weeks - just be prepared to wait for the card also some of us get lucky to receive it fast.

You might have it printed in IST which I did 12 hours after reaching elite+
(I know - no big reason to do this in my case, but I was just so proud to finally be elite+ that I couldn't wait...).
When the card hadn't arrived a months later in the mail, I was afraid they would not ship it when you had it printed immediately after the status update. Was really afraid I would not receive my e+ luggage tag I had been looking forward to so much...
That's data point 2: You can print the card a few hours after the status update (less than one day in my case).
Even if you have the card printed immediately after the status update, they'll still ship the welcome package with another card and the luggage tag.

When you have the card printed airside
, make sure to avoid my mistake (I almost missed my connecting flight...):
Had the card printed at 07:20 AM at the airside M&S desk between gate 215 and 216. Just make sure to use the right desk: There is a big newspaper stand with only one seat for M&S member service (written at the buttom of the desk so I didn't see it, it's the one seat on the left side of the newspaper stand), and 10m behind it, directly at the window to the outside, there is a big TK service desk.
I stood in line for 20 minutes at the wrong desk before it was my turn and they finally send me to the one in front which I had confused with a newspaper desk...

Took just 45 seconds there (nobody else standing in line): "Your M&S number? Passport please. Here's your card". (there is also a landside desk, do a search in the 2015 thread for location and opening hours. It mentions you need a printout of your account, they did NOT ask for it in my case).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:27 pm

When you apply for a status match through the TK website (fill New Feedback form etc etc..) Do they usually email back after assigning a case number or at least email to acknowledge receipt as most websites do??
Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.