Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sammyg901
Last Updated: 21 AUG 2021
Due to various changes to the TK IT-system booking partner awards has taken a great step back. Details below.

Online: Potentially working?

See recent (July 2022) posts - it seems possible to ticket *A online IF you can find availability. A lot of availability does not show. If you can see X or I class on ua.com but not on turkishairlines.com then likely a ticket office can assist

Since August 2021 the online *A ticket payment flow is broken ("continue" button does not appear on the credit card entry page) so transactions cannot be completed. No known workarounds

From 18 Nov 19, you may continue to book partner awards online for selected airlines, routes and options. Not all options that you could book with another partner is bookable through the TK website.

Availability could be checked online via the United website without being a MileagePlus member with the book with miles tool at the flight search engine. Note: For UA flights, check 'X' fare bucket, for other airlines check Saver Award.

TK Hotline: Partially working

From recent reports ( fall 2020 ) in this thread, it is now possible to book *A awards from the TK hotline although still, not all agents are capable to do it; you might need to HUACA multiple times to find an agent that knows how to book *A awards. Although, it's strongly suggested to make your own research on availability before calling them.

Sales Office: Working

A sales office could book *A award tickets. You could call, e-mail or visit them in person. Some offices do not answer phones or do not reply to e-mails so visiting them in person would improve your chances to book a *A award ticket.

First class award: Not working

TK has stopped issuing first class awards since at least September 2019.

Print Wikipost

Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:03 am

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I emailed turkish airline ticket sales office and they said the first segment (BOS to SFO; UA 207) of the below flight is unavailable. They mentioned they could see another flight (UA 433, 6:00 am - 9:55 am (6h 55m)) which I would rather not book as it will make my layover in SFO longer. I called the call center twice but they are unable to book any united airline flights on phone. I was wondering if anyone knows why they might not be able to see the first segment. They both have economy saver availability. I can see the same flights on aeroplan available as well. Thanks!

Date: 08 February, 2020
Class: Economy
Origin: BOS
Destination: HNL
Segments:
1) UA 207 08Feb2020 BOS-SFO 0820am - 1213pm (6 hr 53min)
2) UA 300 08Feb2020 SFO-HNL 0210pm - 5:51pm (5hr 41min)
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

In case someone needs email addresses for booking an award, it seems Boston is very responsive compared to Los Angeles and San Francisco. I emailed Los Angeles several days ago and still haven't gotten a reply. I tried Boston late yesterday evening and got a response today. This was for an economy ticket from Denver to Honolulu on United Airlines. Here is the email address [email protected]

They booked the award and they needed award ticket form, credit card form along with your ID and back and front of credit card.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by starfishflyer
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I emailed turkish airline ticket sales office and they said the first segment (BOS to SFO; UA 207) of the below flight is unavailable. They mentioned they could see another flight (UA 433, 6:00 am - 9:55 am (6h 55m)) which I would rather not book as it will make my layover in SFO longer. I called the call center twice but they are unable to book any united airline flights on phone. I was wondering if anyone knows why they might not be able to see the first segment. They both have economy saver availability. I can see the same flights on aeroplan available as well. Thanks!

Segments:
"X" or "XN" class availability is required, not any saver fare when flying United.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
"X" or "XN" class availability is required, not any saver fare when flying United.
i keep seeing the mention of XN space, which still surprises me since all other star alliance partners I've ever used don't show this space. Is this 100% confirmed across the board?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jeffersun
i keep seeing the mention of XN space, which still surprises me since all other star alliance partners I've ever used don't show this space. Is this 100% confirmed across the board?
X -> I am sure ( %100 )
XN -> While looking for flights for a past occasion, I was able to see flights that UA sold as XN on the sales office agent screen. However, not %100 confirmed.

Edit: XN class is not bookable through Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles. According to my research, it's not bookable through any partner unless UA releases availability to them. There might be some exceptions on codeshare flights.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Oct 25, 2019 at 7:39 pm Reason: Stated
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: The Twitter team has no information that *A awards could not be booked through the hotline. And, they have answered the poster above when they were drunk, asking a screenshot from the member which the hotline had.

Tweet order

Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:40 am

Hello,

Segments:
I emailed a different office (NYC) and was able to reserve the same flights on Thursday. I called the call center today and paid for the flights. For others who have the same issue, hopefully this helps.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I emailed a different office (NYC) and was able to reserve the same flights on Thursday. I called the call center today and paid for the flights. For others who have the same issue, hopefully this helps.
Which office did you originally e-mail?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Which office did you originally e-mail?
Boston
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:38 am

Hello,

Segments:
Did you book as one or two one way flight? T.C states direct fly only for domestic, not sure how strict they are about this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by hermitw
Did you book as one or two one way flight? T.C states direct fly only for domestic, not sure how strict they are about this.
Not sure if i understand correctly but I booked Boston to HNL (which ended up having two segments, BOS to SFO and then SFO to HNL). I was given one reservation code at the end and was charged 7500 turkish miles (which is for one flight).
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:09 pm

Not sure if i understand correctly but I booked Boston to HNL (which ended up having two segments, BOS to SFO and then SFO to HNL). I was given one reservation code at the end and was charged 7500 turkish miles (which is for one flight).
Thanks! So basically their "direct" means connection less than 4 hours. I guess for 7.5k one can transfer 3 times within US.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:01 am

what a fiasco, call center still unable to book Star Alliance awards! I guess they are not really in a hurry to fix it though...
I booked an LX award last night with my UA miles as I can't get to a TK airport ticket counter until tomorrow at the earliest and didn't want to lose the seat...
my plan is now to try to book same flight with TK and transfer ThankYou points to TK to redeem, then once ticketed, cancel the UA booking...
only concern I have is that the ThankYou points transfer takes usually 48-72 hours and that in the meantime the LX system will auto cancel BOTH bookings as they will flag it as a double booking...
what is the likelihood of that happening, and is it worth the risk/stress to save the 25k miles?!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
what is the likelihood of that happening, and is it worth the risk/stress to save the 25k miles?!
LX will pick up on the double booking, you can be sure of that.

If 25k miles are ten year worth of accumulation then maybe it's worth it, if it's two flights then maybe not. Only you can judge that.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
LX will pick up on the double booking, you can be sure of that.

If 25k miles are ten year worth of accumulation then maybe it's worth it, if it's two flights then maybe not. Only you can judge that.
Thanks for your input, yeah, I guess it’s not worth the risk of losing the booking entirely...I’ll still try to go to airport ticket counter and book for another trip...
do you know if they are familiar with not only booking but the concept of putting it on hold while the credit card points are being transferred?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.