Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Through-check bags? IST transit on 2 separate TK tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Through-check bags? IST transit on 2 separate TK tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:49 am

I have the following 2 tickets booked:
AYT-IST-ZRH: TK Economy
ZRH-DEL: LX Business

I m *G, will TK agents at AYT through check my luggage to DEL. I have a short connection at ZRH and having through checked bags would really help. Any tips on how to convince TK staff at AYT?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by yashk
I have the following 2 tickets booked:
AYT-IST-ZRH: TK Economy
ZRH-DEL: LX Business

I m *G, will TK agents at AYT through check my luggage to DEL. I have a short connection at ZRH and having through checked bags would really help. Any tips on how to convince TK staff at AYT?
TK does allow through checking baggage on separate tickets, so I don't think you would have an issue with that.
99% of the time, this would not require any persuasion.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:01 pm

BUD-IST and then IST-GZP

Dear all, looking for advice

I have to separate PNRs:

BUD-IST

IST-GZP (Turkish domestic)

I’ve seen in the thread that doing check-through from international to domestic can be tricky.

I have done international before but have no experience doing that for international to domestic legs

can anyone demystify the situation please?

thank you in advance
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You need to enter Turkey at IST so not the end of the world if you pick-up the bag(s) on the belts on the way out, clear customs and check-in with TK for the domestic flight.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You need to enter Turkey at IST so not the end of the world if you pick-up the bag(s) on the belts on the way out, clear customs and check-in with TK for the domestic flight.
Totally agree it’s just a connection being “tad too short” <2h. And I’m afraid I won’t be able to pick up and re check in luggage, hence the question

apologies should have been more specific in initial post
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For a TK-TK connection, it shouldn't be a problem, even on separate tickets.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
I'm flying DUB-IST-DEL on TK and then a separate ticket DEL-KTM with Air India. Would I be able to check the bags straight through to Kathmandu from Dublin?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will depend on the check-in agent at DUB. Fair chance I suppose. It might be a good idea to secure visa for India in case you need to go landside to pick-up your bag(s) and check-in with AI.
Old May 4, 2023, 1:42 am

Will depend on the check-in agent at DUB. Fair chance I suppose. It might be a good idea to secure visa for India in case you need to go landside to pick-up your bag(s) and check-in with AI.
Just to update on this, agent refused so looks like I'll be entering India and more than likely missing the connection
Old May 4, 2023, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Noted. Let us know how it goes. At least try to check-in online for the DEL-KTM flight, if possible, so you only need deliver the bag for check-in (before the deadline)

EDIT: I assume that you are on AI213 DEL-KTM at 7:20AM which should give you 2h40min to enter India, pick-up you bag and proceed to check-in with AI. Unless the IST-DEL flight is late that is def. not impossible. Fair chance that you will find yourself on the flight to KTM as scheduled.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 4, 2023 at 2:48 am
Old May 4, 2023, 3:39 am

Noted. Let us know how it goes. At least try to check-in online for the DEL-KTM flight, if possible, so you only need deliver the bag for check-in (before the deadline)

EDIT: I assume that you are on AI213 DEL-KTM at 7:20AM which should give you 2h40min to enter India, pick-up you bag and proceed to check-in with AI. Unless the IST-DEL flight is late that is def. not impossible. Fair chance that you will find yourself on the flight to KTM as scheduled.
So as it turned out, I was called back to the desk after the agent chatted to supervisor and the bags checked through.

Didn't realize I had 2h40mins, in my head was a lot tighter connection
Old May 4, 2023, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 89703511961
So as it turned out, I was called back to the desk after the agent chatted to supervisor and the bags checked through.
unbelievable...but good for you.

Originally Posted by 89703511961
Didn't realize I had 2h40mins, in my head was a lot tighter connection
Well, it is only my assumption, but assume that you arrive DEL on TK716 tomorrow morning at 04:40AM and depart on AI 213 DEL-KTM at 07:20AM.
Old May 4, 2023, 10:25 am

unbelievable...but good for you.

Well, it is only my assumption, but assume that you arrive DEL on TK716 tomorrow morning at 04:40AM and depart on AI 213 DEL-KTM at 07:20AM.
I was lucky, agent was very helpful said it wasn't possible, the supervisor wasn't there yet so he said he'd keep the bags until supervisor arrived.

As you pointed out I would have made it no problem but still happy not to have to enter India just to immediately leave it again!
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Hopefully this should be an easy one:

I might be flying BUD-WAW-IST-WAW-BUD with LO. On the return trip however, I'd like to depart from Ankara (ESB-IST-WAW-BUD). Pricing this as a multicity ticket seems to be way too expensive, so my idea is to just book the ESB-IST sector separately with TK in addition to a regular return BUD-WAW-IST ticket with LO.

Based on what I've read above it seems that TK will through check to other *A carriers from the outstations with their own staff, and I assume they use their own staff at ESB. Is this correct and can I assume I'll have no issues checking my bag at ESB all the way to BUD?

Also, I will most likely be on the HBO fare with LO, but I get a free checked bag with them as *G. Any possible issues with this?

Thank you
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:18 am
jxd

Any recent datapoints? I'm flying from YVR to IST on TK (booked using Aeroplan, following which I have another flight from IST to BKK 10 days later), and have a separate ticket from IST to TBS (booked on TK). Will TK check my bags through from YVR to TBS? The YVR to IST flight is on J, if that makes a difference.

My flight itinerary:
(PNR 1 - J)
YVR - IST
IST - BKK (10 days later)

(PNR 2 - Y)
IST - TBS

I am hoping my bags can be checked from YVR - TBS. The connection time is 1h 55mins so it might be a bit of a rush to pick up bags and re-check in for the next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.