Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Through-check bags? IST transit on 2 separate TK tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Through-check bags? IST transit on 2 separate TK tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:47 pm

Thank you for the detailed explanation... much appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No first hand experience with TK at KUL, but in general agents at KUL are very good at checking bags to final destination even when on separate tickets with different carriers. In your case - TK to TK - I'm almost certain that the check-in agent will comply with your request if you show the IST-KUL ticket. If not ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
I am going on a trip with 2 separate tickets. The first BOM- IST and then onward to IST-LHR. The transit time is 2 hours at Istanbul. I will not have checked luggage as I will be traveling with someone on a single ticket and all checked baggage will be routed on their PNR.
My plan is to web check in and then show up at the gate. Given that I hold an Indian passport and assuming that BOM agent refuses to give me my second leg boarding pass can I get a boarding pass at the lounge or transfer kiosk at ist. If I show at the gate with a mobile boarding pass would they allow me to board.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, just ask for a BP at the lounge, Anyway, a self-printed BP or mobile BP should work for you at the IST gate. If not, the gate agent will print it for you. There is nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:15 am

As SK AAR said, there should be no problem with web check-in for IST-LHR. A mobile boarding card is sufficient at the gate, and if for some reason you cannot get one, there are transfer desks (and the lounge) where they'd be happy to print it for you. However, two hours between flights on separate tickets are risky. If your incoming flight is delayed, you may miss your second flight and TK will be under no obligation to accommodate you.

Shuly
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: M&S E+, KLM FB
2 separate tickets

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
I am going on a trip with 2 separate tickets. The first BOM- IST and then onward to IST-LHR. The transit time is 2 hours at Istanbul. I will not have checked luggage as I will be traveling with someone on a single ticket and all checked baggage will be routed on their PNR.
My plan is to web check in and then show up at the gate. Given that I hold an Indian passport and assuming that BOM agent refuses to give me my second leg boarding pass can I get a boarding pass at the lounge or transfer kiosk at ist. If I show at the gate with a mobile boarding pass would they allow me to board.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: M&S E+, KLM FB
2 separate tickets

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
There was no problem for me. In March I had TK ODS-IST-ODS and IST-MIA-IST. Was able to check in the luggage to the final destination both from ODS and MIA. Same with the boarding passes. They have checked me in and issued the BP without any problems.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is also my experience when travelling on 2 (separate) TK tickets - in particular in Asia I would expect no issues when asking for bags to be checked to final TK destination. If bags are checked through to final destination you are almost guaranteed to receive BP for your second/ex IST leg.

Onward flights with other carriers than TK may yield a different result when req. bags to be checked to final destination.
Squalusss likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Quick update the agent in BOM was super helpful. Got my bags tagged priority till LHR. Had no issues in printing the onward BP for ist lhr also.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is also my experience when travelling on 2 (separate) TK tickets - in particular in Asia I would expect no issues when asking for bags to be checked to final TK destination. If bags are checked through to final destination you are almost guaranteed to receive BP for your second/ex IST leg.

Onward flights with other carriers than TK may yield a different result when req. bags to be checked to final destination.

Data point. My daughter flew DPS IST LHR on two separate tickets and 2 classes. Bags check through as both TK

I flew same route a few days later but BA IST LHR. Absolute refusal as expected.

To be honest my daughter had the much better experience.
CoweyB likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for reporting back - both of you. Your experiences seem to confirm what is stated above concerning the practice of TK to check bags to final destination.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
HI everyone,

I will be flying TXL-IST with Turkish Airlines and IST-SIN with SQ on 2 separate tickets. Is it possible for me to have through check in and checked baggage? I've read some reviews that since it's of the same Star Alliance they actually can do it if they want to. But the strict rule is that this isn't possible
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FVen
HI everyone,

I will be flying TXL-IST with Turkish Airlines and IST-SIN with SQ on 2 separate tickets. Is it possible for me to have through check in and checked baggage? I've read some reviews that since it's of the same Star Alliance they actually can do it if they want to. But the strict rule is that this isn't possible
It depends on the contracted third party check-in agent at TXL. There is no strict rule but the agent does not have any obligation.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance
May I know what do you mean by "contracted third party check-in agent"?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FVen
May I know what do you mean by "contracted third party check-in agent"?
The check-in agents in TXL which are responsible for TK flights are not TK employees. They contract employees from local ground service companies and they generally are less knowledgable about airline policies. These employees are contracted third party check-in agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.