Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
See answers in red italic

Originally Posted by SOORBraves
First time flying Turkish Airlines few questions:
1. Flying Dublin-IST-HKG in IST will I need to get a transit visa or anything or is it just a straight forward transfer no visa needed, straight transfer if under 1 PNR and under 24 hours
2. Have a decent layover in IST am I stuck with the normal *G lounges /any worth visiting
You may use this lounge if you have United MP vanilla *G (1P) or higher
http://www.yelp.com/biz/turkish-airl...ounge-istanbul

3. Or would I be better off with a 8 hr layover leaving the airport and coming back ? I get into IST at 5:20 PM and fly out at 1:15 AM

Possible but not worth it for 8 hours considering you have lounge access.
The traffics in Istanbul are among the worst in the world (this is not an understatement), you have to see it to believe. You may also need visa depending your nationality. If you really want to see something in 8 hours outside the airport after getting visa, go to Şirinevler (Ataköy) metro station, about 2-3 stops from the airport station and see where locals live, shop and hang out during the evening, and get back to the airport with enough time to eat, relax, and get shower before flying to HKG.

Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:58 pm

Another noob/silly question. Flying to Istanbul from Kathmandu tomorrow (Economy).

What's the 'best'/'efficient' way of upgrading? I have points with US airways (50k) but I don't think they belong to same alliance/group.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by The.walker
Another noob/silly question. Flying to Istanbul from Kathmandu tomorrow (Economy).

What's the 'best'/'efficient' way of upgrading? I have points with US airways (50k) but I don't think they belong to same alliance/group.
wrong alliance.

paying
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
I haven't had activity on my M&S account for over a year, and I have decided to use all my miles for a redemption in August. However, in order to do this, I would like to purchase a few thousand miles. The website doesn't allow me to do this, saying that:

"at least one Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member Airlines flight should be registered automatically (during check-in or reservation) into the membership account within one year."

What does this actually mean? If I were to book a Star Alliance flight tonight and input my M&S FF number into it, would I then be able to purchase miles?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by GaryK84
What does this actually mean? If I were to book a Star Alliance flight tonight and input my M&S FF number into it, would I then be able to purchase miles?
Not exactly.

You have to fly that itinerary on a qualifying flight, earn miles for that flight to your TK M&S account. Also, your booking class has to be eligible for earning miles on TK.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:29 am

Newbie question for TK: Is there a good way (or any way) to buy a cash ticket for coach and then use miles or points to upgrade? I don't have any M&S miles yet, but have UA miles, as well as some credit card points.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very much a TK virgin but I am researching a trip to Alexandria (HBE) and TK the best fares and reputation.

Flights will be in whY and I have a choice of A321 or A330 to/from IST. What would be the better aircraft for a couple? I presume the A330 given it will have AVOD (?) and 2-4-2 config?

Are TK using a lounge in HBE? I know it will be horrible but it will be some place to wait away from the rest of the pax.

Is (middle) seat-blocking common on TK? Soft bennie?

I already have Star Gold, is it worthwhile getting a match to TK just for this set of flights? Preference for op-ups etc? I heard TK flights can be very oversold.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by skisteven1
Newbie question for TK: Is there a good way (or any way) to buy a cash ticket for coach and then use miles or points to upgrade? I don't have any M&S miles yet, but have UA miles, as well as some credit card points.

Thanks!
Yes there is, check the respective airlines' webpages:

M&S upgrades: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...-smiles/awards
UA star alliance upgrades (note booking class requirements) http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...rade/saua.aspx
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by hugolover
I'm very much a TK virgin but I am researching a trip to Alexandria (HBE) and TK the best fares and reputation.

Flights will be in whY and I have a choice of A321 or A330 to/from IST. What would be the better aircraft for a couple? I presume the A330 given it will have AVOD (?) and 2-4-2 config?

Are TK using a lounge in HBE? I know it will be horrible but it will be some place to wait away from the rest of the pax.

Is (middle) seat-blocking common on TK? Soft bennie?

I already have Star Gold, is it worthwhile getting a match to TK just for this set of flights? Preference for op-ups etc? I heard TK flights can be very oversold.
- A330 will have AVOD and 2-4-2
- star-alliance lounge finder doesn't show a lounge available (never been there though)
- no middle seat blocking
- preference for op-ups definitely there, also better recognition of elite status - decision depends on whether you want to accumulate miles on your existing program
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I should be grateful if someone would clarify the check in and lounge arrangements at BJV as I am a little unclear about the following on TK's website:

"Passengers travelling on domestic flights from Bodrum Airport will now have to head to the check-in counters in Terminal A, instead of Terminal B. The change will be effective as of 6 a.m., Dec. 5 and will not apply to the passengers who use Turkish Airlines lounge in the airport."

I will be flying in J.

Thanks.
Grateful for any help please.

Flying from Bodrum to Istanbul next month so keen to know the check in and lounge arrangements.

Thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
First time TK flyer here.

I'm in business class JFK-IST and IST-ORD. Does TK serve alcoholic pre-departure beverages (sparkling wine, mimosas as examples)? I don't want to pull an etiquette faux pas if they don't...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mdobbins
First time TK flyer here.

I'm in business class JFK-IST and IST-ORD. Does TK serve alcoholic pre-departure beverages (sparkling wine, mimosas as examples)? I don't want to pull an etiquette faux pas if they don't...
No. They bring round a tray with about 4 choices - juice, water and 2 other great drinks - a lemonade type of drink plus a pink drink which I think is strawberry. Recommend the strawberry one.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
No. They bring round a tray with about 4 choices - juice, water and 2 other great drinks - a lemonade type of drink plus a pink drink which I think is strawberry. Recommend the strawberry one.
The pink is raspberry. And they call the lemonade "home made" though I doubt it is.

But if you ask politely for a glass of champagne before take off, you will get one. It's real champagne, although they only have a single type of glasses for all beverages. And they're usually eager to please, so your request will more often than not be granted with a smile.

Shuly
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I stand corrected. Raspberry it is. Must be the floating strawberry that fooled me. Whatever it is, it's delicious.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Originally Posted by shuly
The pink is raspberry. And they call the lemonade "home made" though I doubt it is.

But if you ask politely for a glass of champagne before take off, you will get one. It's real champagne, although they only have a single type of glasses for all beverages. And they're usually eager to please, so your request will more often than not be granted with a smile.

Shuly
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.