Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
Hi all, aware it's really far in advance but I've got some business class flights with Turkish booked for October next year, CDG-IST-BKK and back KUL-IST-CDG 3 out of the 4 flights are on the A330-300 and one is on the B777-300ER. I know it'll be the previous generation product which I'm fine with but I was wondering if there was any information about which specific type of seat would be available? I know that TK has two versions of their older business class seat - one without a privacy divider and higher walls around the seat and one with and updated IFE pictured below:

"old style" seat

"newer style" seat

I was wondering if it was possible to identify which aircraft have the older style v newer style seat? This is more out of interest than anything else as it's not like I'm going to change my flights based on the seat available as they're really similar - I just wondered if it was possible to figure it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LJEDI
Hi all, aware it's really far in advance but I've got some business class flights with Turkish booked for October next year, CDG-IST-BKK and back KUL-IST-CDG 3 out of the 4 flights are on the A330-300 and one is on the B777-300ER. I know it'll be the previous generation product which I'm fine with but I was wondering if there was any information about which specific type of seat would be available? I know that TK has two versions of their older business class seat - one without a privacy divider and higher walls around the seat and one with and updated IFE pictured below:

I was wondering if it was possible to identify which aircraft have the older style v newer style seat? This is more out of interest than anything else as it's not like I'm going to change my flights based on the seat available as they're really similar - I just wondered if it was possible to figure it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
TK does consider both types of seats to be the same and their fleet has the same designator for aircraft that are equipped with both types of the seats.
Unfortunately, you would not be able to get information about which variant of this seat your flight would be equipped until the day of travel.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
There is no point in trying to figure out seats for Oct 2023 travel now. Most likely there will be several equipment changes and a couple of schedule changes or even cancellations before Oct. 2023. What you see now is far from being guaranteed for Oct 2023 travel.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK ElitePlus, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
I have around 200k TK miles expiring Dec 31st that I cannot use atm due to my family situation. Hence, instead of paying for validity extension I was wondering if it makes sense to book an itinerary 11 months in the future (which I might be able to actually make)
and then cancel/rebook if I can't travel? (which is only USD 25).
The question is what's gonna happen to my miles if I cancel or I'm unable to rebook? The FAQ says that the original validity applies. Does that mean the miles will be worthless or would there be some e.g. 12 months grace period?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you cancel any miles that would have expired in the meantime, will not be refunded. So no grace period.

My suggestion is to wait for a possible M&S promotion (like the 30% off promotion in Dec, last year). Then you book far ahead and hope that there will be schedule change of 15min or more or a cancellation, which will allow you to (invol) rebook and to change origin and destination (within same region), but you will not be able to cancel and get expired miles back.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: TK ElitePlus, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you cancel any miles that would have expired in the meantime, will not be refunded. So no grace period.

My suggestion is to wait for a possible M&S promotion (like the 30% off promotion in Dec, last year). Then you book far ahead and hope that there will be schedule change of 15min or more or a cancellation, which will allow you to (invol) rebook and to change origin and destination (within same region), but you will not be able to cancel and get expired miles back.
Thanks! I was hoping for no schedule change every time I applied vouchers, yet it always happened, sometimes multiple times so I'd say my chances are good

I guess even with the voluntary rebooking it shouldn't matter that my miles are expired?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okruch
Thanks! I was hoping for no schedule change every time I applied vouchers, yet it always happened, sometimes multiple times so I'd say my chances are good
Yeah, with TK the chance of a schedule change is very high.

Originally Posted by okruch
I guess even with the voluntary rebooking it shouldn't matter that my miles are expired?
Correct, but you will be limited to flights with promotional award availability; this doesn't apply for invol. rebooking + you need to pay USD 25 change fee
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyRunner04
Yep, pretty much this. After 3 frustrating attempts with the global/Turkish hotline (cut lines, conflicting answers, no solutions offered), I tried the American hotline and got it sorted out.
And while I was happy having rebooked my canceled FRA-SIN flight to CGN-SIN just before Christmas with the help of you guys 3 weeks ago, today TK casually announces the following re-timing in my inbox:

Ignore the 1h 10m listed here, that's in fact 20 minutes. The app shows all alternative flights from western Germany to be "full" +/- 7 days from my intended dates.

What am I supposed to do here? Would they proactively come up with a better solution or is that once again my problem to sort out?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget about rebooking in the app. Not going to work.

You should call TK CS or contact your local ticket office for assistance to try to get rebooked. Either on an earlier DE to IST flight or a later IST-SIN flight (there should be a flight past midnight/on 20/12 to SIN).
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
I’m sure there are some other options too, as also other *A companies like LH Group fly to IST or can connect you to some other airport from where seats to IST are still available.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK will not rebook to LH Group unless IRROPS, i.e. really neccessary. The OP should look for other TK flights to IST that connect to 19DEC TK208 IST-SIN
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
TK will not rebook to LH Group unless IRROPS, i.e. really neccessary. The OP should look for other TK flights to IST that connect to 19DEC TK208 IST-SIN
Would be cheaper for them as paying lump sum compensation. I would just fly the first leg and if you miss the next flight, I would request either to be rebooked on another airline if not TK flights with empty seats, or to be put in a hotel in Istanbul until next flight. Depends on his schedule
Old Nov 30, 2022, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt the OP is prepared to fly IST and hope for a seat to SIN to be available this short time before X-mas. Anyway, the OP will most likely never get this far as the check-in staff at CGN would not be able to issue BP or allow the OP to travel to IST with a connecting flight only 20min later; hence the OP will get rebooked at CGN.

The safer option than turning up at the aiport with an invalid itinerary would be to request to be rebooked to any TK flight from Europe to IST (not restricted to DE) that connects to the IST-SIN flight.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:00 am

I doubt the OP is prepared to fly IST and hope for a seat to SIN to be available this short time before X-mas. Anyway, the OP will most likely never get this far as the check-in staff at CGN would not be able to issue BP or allow the OP to travel to IST with a connecting flight only 20min later; hence the OP will get rebooked at CGN.

The safer option than turning up at the aiport with an invalid itinerary would be to request to be rebooked to any TK flight from Europe to IST (not restricted to DE) that connects to the IST-SIN flight.
If rebooked in CGN that means Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 rights, including lodging, food and monetary compensation for cancelled flight.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the flight was retimed more than 14 days out. If informed of schedule change more than 14 days out pax can not make compensation applicable by deliberately waiting to request rebooking less than 14/7 days before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.