FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Seat Selection [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1363383-seat-selection-master-thread.html)

ArizonaGuy Jul 23, 2008 5:49 pm

Seat Selection [Master Thread]

I have a *A award booking, and I'm attempting to get seat assignment. So I call Turkish 800 number for the US. I go through the menu, selecting changes to existing reservation. I get the following recorded message, not quite verbatim:

"Our office is presently closed. Our reservations hours are Monday through Friday, 9am to 8:30pm Eastern Standard Time."

As I type this, it is 7:46pm Eastern Daylight right now. I've tried to call twice today. Where else can I call?!

globetrotter94941 Jul 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Turkish Airlines Reservations

You can call directly to Istanbul 011 90 221 444 0849. These lines are open 24/7 and everyone speaks English.

ArizonaGuy Jul 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by globetrotter94941 (Post 10088222)
You can call directly to Istanbul 011 90 221 444 0849. These lines are open 24/7 and everyone speaks English.

Wonderful. Thankfully Vonage and Skype are cheap for international calls.

flyingfran Jul 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Please let us know if you are successful with this. I have tried several times to call Turkish Air in Istanbul with very limited success. In the past I have had much more success with their 800 number here in the US, so I am concerned that it does not seem to be available any longer.

ArizonaGuy Jul 25, 2008 3:31 pm

I tried once more - today in fact - with the 800 #. I'm hard of hearing and had an extremely difficult time understanding the woman's accent. I gathered something about having to wait until October for seat assignment. My flight is mid January, so I assumed some kind of 90 day rule.

That, or there's an aircraft change. The ANA tool shows the IST-ORD-IST route switching from A343 to A330 on October 24. Thus, my January flight shows A330 with ANA. However, TK website still says A343 for the route regardless of date.

Zeynel Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy (Post 10097241)
I tried once more - today in fact - with the 800 #. I'm hard of hearing and had an extremely difficult time understanding the woman's accent. I gathered something about having to wait until October for seat assignment. My flight is mid January, so I assumed some kind of 90 day rule.

That, or there's an aircraft change. The ANA tool shows the IST-ORD-IST route switching from A343 to A330 on October 24. Thus, my January flight shows A330 with ANA. However, TK website still says A343 for the route regardless of date.

You can choose seats starting 24 hours prior flight, online at www.thy.com online cehckin section. You can even print out your boarding pass and just drop your luggage at the counter.

Choosing a seat other than that, as far as i know, is only available during the booking process.

ArizonaGuy Jul 30, 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Zeynel (Post 10119318)
You can choose seats starting 24 hours prior flight, online at www.thy.com online cehckin section. You can even print out your boarding pass and just drop your luggage at the counter.

Choosing a seat other than that, as far as i know, is only available during the booking process.

That's disappointing, since I'd like to try and make sure the two award seats I've got are together and not wait until the day before - I may not be able to check in online while in Istanbul.

Would also love to know if the route will be switched to A330 in winter, and if not - whether the 3 remaining A340's will be converted to the new C seats by then. (As far as I can tell, as of end of April, 4 out of 7 had been converted.)

anaidross Aug 24, 2008 3:42 pm

No other way to reserve a seat other than 24 hrs before?

Originally Posted by Zeynel (Post 10119318)

You mean there is no other ways to get a seat of your choice? My travel agency also told me that she got a response, "TK RESPONSE NO SEAT SELECTION THIS FLIGHTS"

Anyone has other type of experiences?

ArizonaGuy Aug 25, 2008 3:35 am

According what I've read and what I've been told, seat assignments can't be made more than 100 days prior to the flight. I was told as much when I finally spoke to a TK agent to get C seat assignments together. Agent told me I would need to call back in the first half of October for my January flight.

anaidross Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Respomse from Munich Office

The guy actually told me that I could only get a seat request 7 days in advance. But I fly economy of course. Perhaps they have a different set of rules.

But I really found it so hard to believe.

Mr. Roboto Aug 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by anaidross (Post 10258423)
The guy actually told me that I could only get a seat request 7 days in advance. But I fly economy of course. Perhaps they have a different set of rules.

But I really found it so hard to believe.

I think that's for intra-Europe. For intercontinental wide-body flights I've usually been able to obtain a seat assignment about 3 months prior to flight departure.

ArizonaGuy Oct 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Their phone system is a joke. For days I've call the 800 number in the US and any option I select either disconnects me, gives me someone's direct voicemail or rings endlessly.

I finally chose the option "New ticket sales" and was routed to a woman in Turkey, or at least Europe based on the ring, and got the ticket change and seat assignments I wanted. Forget going to the existing reservations / changes options, they'll fail you.

Grace B Oct 13, 2008 2:26 am

I am flying TK BOM-IST-LON-IST-BOM (Y class) at the end of this month and so far I have been unable to get seat assignments of any kind. Not through the website and not through talking with agents.

I have been told to wait until a few days before I travel, but surely this is quite unacceptable (and it probably won't happen anyway). The TK website is quite woeful, too.

So, my first impressions of TK are quite bad, and I will probably not book with them again.

How can such an incompetent airline become a member of the Star Alliance? Standards are certainly falling. And Egyptair is next.

:rolleyes:

simonsmith May 16, 2009 12:00 pm

When can I book seats?

I have a return in C booked for next February LHR to CPT...I have rung Turkish and they say I can not book seats...but cannot say when I can...is there a time before when they allow us to book? Tx

Jetstreamer May 19, 2009 2:08 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith (Post 11759171)
I have a return in C booked for next February LHR to CPT...I have rung Turkish and they say I can not book seats...but cannot say when I can...is there a time before when they allow us to book? Tx

Yes, TK don't let you book seats until a certain period before the flight. I think it is 90 days before departure but others with more knowledge will know better.