Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish Airlines General Rant Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by LH4116
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Not sure what to say about demanding a free Elite Plus card. You should be happy that they matched you in the first place... I guess the whole point is to encourage people to fly more with them, and eventually reach E+ as a result of that.

They do send out the card without having taken a single flight, if matched. Though I would still say it wasn't a clever decision for OP to leave his UA*G card back home. It's always smart to carry backups.

Regarding the crews. Yes TK's crews are far from the best, and I suppose my best advice is to always keep your expectations at bay when flying TK, since the staff may often times be rude or incompetent. Though on flights to African destinations, one shouldn't expect the service to be as good as on the flagship routes.
Well, a status match is nice and you don't complain about something you get for free. But basically I didn't get it: it is as if it never happened. Card never arrived. Number given without the card of no use so far...

So you agree TK staff can be rude and incompetent -- well that matches my review I guess. Though you can never know, I'll give them another chance one day and will see...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:54 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by pekkav
Does your beloved UA ask every Y pax "Good evening sir, what can we offer you to eat ?"
Yes they do actually.

On short and medium haul I got lots of upgrades. But I recently did MEX-X/WAS-LHR and service in Y was pretty good. Seats nice and clean. AVOD working except on one leg, and for that leg I automatically received 8,000 as compensation: I had an e-mail in my inbox when I landed telling me sorry the AVOD did not work and therefore I could choose USD 200 discount or 8,000 miles etc. Wine was not free, $ 7 a bottle, but the hostess gave me a couple for free. Nice Y experience, for that price.^
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
What made Ghana Airways and Air Koryo stand out as worse? ...
Ghana Airways made me go all the way to Lungi airport in FNA with a confirmed ticket, and at boarding said they had no seats. The station manager and the captain started fighting about who was right in counting seats. Apparently their calculator had no battery. I was offloaded and my baggage left without me, never saw it again.

Air Koryo has meals that are barely edible, old shabby Soviet era aircraft, and total lack of customer service. Though the hostesses smile at least...

This would be brilliant if TK flew FIH-ADD or FIH-NBO. They don't, so this superfluous routing options in the routing rules can't actually be flown.
Then there is something wrong with Amadeus. Not TK's fault perhaps. But I would have expected the TK agent to be able to speak airline language with me: fare bases, fare rules, routing rules, FQD, FQR... she didn't have this ability. Nor she could speak proper English.

Passengers departing PBH deal with manual boarding passes every day. Dealing with it on a once-off occurence due to IT issues shouldn't be the end of the world.
Well, PBH is a totally different case. The country is supposed to be kept like that... it's a whole philosophy. They don't have much IT because they don't want it.

In aircraft without crew rest areas, rows of seats are blocked off for crew rest on flights beyond a certain length. Crew members in these areas are not on duty, and they are under no obligation to do anything for you at all. Complaining about their dress when they are doing you a favor is ridiculous.
I can assure you those were on duty. Otherwise, it means no-one was on duty at those times... And those rows were occupied by passengers on the flight back which was full, so it was really their choice to sleep rather than be "on call".
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global
While I share the (very) positive experience of most responders with TK, I fully agree that the screen at GVA is clearly not acceptable. It's actually a criminal offense in Switzerland, according to article 261bis of the Swiss penal code. I suggest you bring it to the attention of the airport police, since you took a picture. They will have to take legal action against the handling agent.
Ah ! I didn't think of it that way... I am not blond but I didn't feel offended. I just felt it was a very stupid thing. So, at least TK should escalate it to a manager. I am not sure doing a criminal case is worth it... though it would have not hurt to call up a journalist from "20 Minutes", didn't think about it.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LH4116
They do send out the card without having taken a single flight, if matched.
I was status matched (SQ Gold to TK Elite) over 2 months ago (in a quite painless process) but I still haven't received my TK Elite card. I'm in Australia so post can take a little while, but 2 months should be sufficient.

Tomorrow I fly for the first time quoting my TK number on Air NZ. Maybe this will trigger a card being issued.

Hopefully my TK travelling experiences will be better than the OP's. I fly SGN-BKK-IST-CDG // NAP-IST-HKG in J starting March next year.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: TK E+
I fly 200K+ miles a year with TK, not because I love the airline, but because they have a route network that fits my living and traveling situation quiet well. In my opinion the major issue with TK is lack of consistency, you never know what you are going to get. It ranges from absolutely sub-zero, terrible third-world standard, to very good, efficient and comfortable.

I have come the conclusion that I always expect the worst and then get presently surprised if I receive better. However, I still get pissed off meeting the lounge dragons in IST, asking me "Are you sure you have lounge access?" in a very rude manner, even though I'm holding a BP clearly saying E+ and show my E+ card (this happens quiet often when flying from airports where they can't/don't print bar code on the BP). Or the TK ground staff at some airports in Europe, that are busy playing computer games and talk to each-other and for sure can't be bothered with customers. Request a change on a booking (on a flexible fare) and they roll their eyes, hand you their phone and say in a very bothered voice, "Call CS in Istanbul".

I'm in no way the center of the universe, but when you spend close to 50.000USD a year on TK tickets, you shouldn't have to go through BS like this. If TK wants to be a serious major international airline, they have to train their staff much, much better than they currently do.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I was status matched (SQ Gold to TK Elite) over 2 months ago (in a quite painless process) but I still haven't received my TK Elite card. I'm in Australia so post can take a little while, but 2 months should be sufficient.

Tomorrow I fly for the first time quoting my TK number on Air NZ. Maybe this will trigger a card being issued.

Hopefully my TK travelling experiences will be better than the OP's. I fly SGN-BKK-IST-CDG // NAP-IST-HKG in J starting March next year.
I went to the website and requested a card as soon as my status match went through. It arrived into Sydney within 6 weeks. I suggest you follow up as it may have gotten lost.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:23 am

If you look at my posts you can already see what I think about TK. But I am surprised that your in-flight experience was bad. My view was that their in-flight service was average-above average (of course if you are in Business class they are great).

To reiterate, their ground service is just OK with ...... attitude (good luck with getting a smile from them even in CIP lounge), their customer service on phone and on web simply sucks.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:27 am

The staff might be underpaid, on strike but the fact that TK customer service/ground service sucks is not new, this was the case way before the strikes...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by welltravelled88
FQD, FQR...
What make you think that they should use Amadeus entries when they are NOT using Amadeus???
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:00 am
Suspended

What's YQ?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Mama
What's YQ?
Fuel surcharge.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
We had a couple of bad occurrences on yesterday's return legs NRT-IST-VLC. My Biz seat was broken and wouldn't recline, so I was moved to another row. Fine, I can handle it even though I was separated from my wife and daughter.

The second incident was more troubling--upon boarding, my wife noticed her 2E seat had blood on it. Yes, blood. My guess is someone's tampon wasn't working. I took pictures, complained to the purser (who did nothing), and am going to contact TK. Little hope for any kind of response.

Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by averind
If you look at my posts you can already see what I think about TK. But I am surprised that your in-flight experience was bad. My view was that their in-flight service was average-above average (of course if you are in Business class they are great).

To reiterate, their ground service is just OK with ...... attitude (good luck with getting a smile from them even in CIP lounge), their customer service on phone and on web simply sucks.
I think we have full agreement then.

Yes, I would say in-flight service could have been described as fair, and I'd even accept that it may even be good when you are luckier, except I was unlucky in several respects:
* I did not get the seat I was supposed to get -- this makes a big difference to a frequent flyer who is used to nothing but first row in Y;
* My AVOD was not working and my seat had a recline problem;
* Being a flight from FIH I guess the crew had lowered their standards (this is a common problem);
* The troubles at check-in and the mess with the transfer (including lost luggage !) did not really put me in the best mood to enjoy my in-flight experience.

True, on the plus side, you get good food, unlimited alcoholic drinks, and AVOD exists (even if mine did not work). I'd definitely give them a chance next time, for in-flight service... But as you and most seem to agree, it is customer service, on-the-ground handling (in IST and elsewhere), that really suck, and this was 90% of my bad experience...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
What make you think that they should use Amadeus entries when they are NOT using Amadeus???
The fact that I, who never worked in the airline industry, know the basics on how to use Amadeus (or Galileo, Sabre, Abacus... and even World Tracer), because I learned by watching them... If a passenger can learn by watching, so could airline staff... Anyway, they had no idea what fare basis means, or routing rules -- it was not even Amadeus-specific stuff.

True, I probably bought more tickets as a passenger, than the average airline agent has sold... But that's why they get training... That makes a total difference. Even between AF and KL which I know pretty well, I can tell you AF is much better trained. At the call centre in AMS they use interns and temporary staff -- I even chatted with them several times. So I always call PAR or visit the AF office where they still exist...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.