Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

did you fly Comfort class from LAX to IST yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

did you fly Comfort class from LAX to IST yet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I wasn't that impressed by Comfort Class, but I generally travel in business. I found the food to be "odd". It was disappointing that there was no Turkish option but plain old chicken breast.

The wine is very weak with the cheapest Turkish wines and $5 vin pays d'Oc. No champagne. SAS offers unlimited champagne in their premium economy, but the seats are much worse on SAS. I would describe SAS's premium economy like economy of the 1970s while CC is like business in the 80s.

Also, I swear that TK used glasses on my outbound but on my return from IST they used plastic.

But the important thing is obviously the seat, which is very comfortable. But not much recline makes it impossible to sleep. I didn't bother trying.

BTW, United has not updated earnings in CC so A class (discounted CC) shows up as First Class and you get 50% bonus miles. Unfortunately there is no EQM bonus on TK for premium when you credit to UA. The negative of this fact is that you could otherwise do a Star Alliance upgrade.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Originally Posted by fadynaime
Could it be a deal price for the Wednesday flight only as a promotion, since it just got introduced.
Wonder if they r flying the same plane on those 3 consecutive 3 day flights.
I think I got lucky. The fare for those dates is now $2,028 as are most days in October with the exception of a couple Tues/Wed combinations. Either I lucked out on an unannounced promotion or they simply are releasing a few seats at the reduced rate (which is awesome; $175 more than regular coach.) The regular fares in CC have bounced in the last few days from $1,920 to $2,028.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:00 am

Will I be able to use my continental one pass miles to upgrade on our lax to IST flight in December? Possible? If so I don't want to use them tomorrow for my BCN to lax fight.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Originally Posted by gnaget
I wasn't that impressed by Comfort Class, but I generally travel in business. I found the food to be "odd". It was disappointing that there was no Turkish option but plain old chicken breast.

The wine is very weak with the cheapest Turkish wines and $5 vin pays d'Oc. No champagne. SAS offers unlimited champagne in their premium economy, but the seats are much worse on SAS. I would describe SAS's premium economy like economy of the 1970s while CC is like business in the 80s.

Also, I swear that TK used glasses on my outbound but on my return from IST they used plastic.

But the important thing is obviously the seat, which is very comfortable. But not much recline makes it impossible to sleep. I didn't bother trying.

BTW, United has not updated earnings in CC so A class (discounted CC) shows up as First Class and you get 50% bonus miles. Unfortunately there is no EQM bonus on TK for premium when you credit to UA. The negative of this fact is that you could otherwise do a Star Alliance upgrade.
I don't think it's fair to compare an Economy Plus product to Business or First. If you want Business with the lay flat beds, premium wines, champers, etc., you need to pay for that. I don't think anyone expects that when you pay between $1200 - 2000/roundtrip to go from LAX to IST. I haven't flown Turkish CC yet (but will next month) but the comments that have been posted here and elsewhere are very positive. I have flown both UA F and C to Europe and SYD on several occasions and haven't been that overly impresed (though it wasn't totally a bad experience either.)
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by davidsfo
I don't think it's fair to compare an Economy Plus product to Business or First. If you want Business with the lay flat beds, premium wines, champers, etc., you need to pay for that. I don't think anyone expects that when you pay between $1200 - 2000/roundtrip to go from LAX to IST. I haven't flown Turkish CC yet (but will next month) but the comments that have been posted here and elsewhere are very positive. I have flown both UA F and C to Europe and SYD on several occasions and haven't been that overly impresed (though it wasn't totally a bad experience either.)
Well, I specifically compare it to SAS Premium Economy, which, for example, offers champagne. I also bet that ANA offers a better soft product and they only charge $2000 for IAD-NRT. (I have managed to upgrade ANA flights to C, so haven't experienced their PE.)

Some comparisons here say that the food is better than business class on other carriers, which is definitely not true. TK is known to have a good food even in economy so I was a bit disappointed. Maybe it's even the same food as in economy?

I think because alcohol on the ground in Turkey is very expensive (albeit due to taxes and TK does not pay these in the air) then maybe the mentality is to be restrictive in CC.

Also, I paid over $3000 for my ticket.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:03 am
tcm

Well, I specifically compare it to SAS Premium Economy, which, for example, offers champagne. I also bet that ANA offers a better soft product and they only charge $2000 for IAD-NRT. (I have managed to upgrade ANA flights to C, so haven't experienced their PE.)

Some comparisons here say that the food is better than business class on other carriers, which is definitely not true. TK is known to have a good food even in economy so I was a bit disappointed. Maybe it's even the same food as in economy?

I think because alcohol on the ground in Turkey is very expensive (albeit due to taxes and TK does not pay these in the air) then maybe the mentality is to be restrictive in CC.

Also, I paid over $3000 for my ticket.
You were disappointed by this

pigx5's pics of catering on Comfort in the thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...l#post17073896
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by tcm
You were disappointed by this

pigx5's pics of catering on Comfort in the thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...l#post17073896
I flew NRT-IST round trip. I don't recognize any of this food except the cheese with olives. It looks much better than what I got on my flights. I don't know if they do different catering on the NRT flights. My estimate is that 98% of the passengers on these flights are Japanese. But there was no attempt to offer any Japanese food. Maybe the food on NRT-IST looked especially tired because it had been on the plane for about 14 hours before being served on the return.

Also that guy is an excellent photographer.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:27 am
tcm

I flew NRT-IST round trip. I don't recognize any of this food except the cheese with olives. It looks much better than what I got on my flights. I don't know if they do different catering on the NRT flights. My estimate is that 98% of the passengers on these flights are Japanese. But there was no attempt to offer any Japanese food. Maybe the food on NRT-IST looked especially tired because it had been on the plane for about 14 hours before being served on the return.

Also that guy is an excellent photographer.
Maybe it was a NRT thing. Let me give some more info. The comfort class catering concept is based on short haul/medium haul J catering. The starters/mains are similar to what you get in short haul/medium haul J. The canapes are the same as in J, less selection. The fruits and deserts are the same as in J, again with less of a selection.

I agree that the drink offerings are rather poor on TK. I only ordered Asian food once on TK, flying to Seoul, and it was terrible. Maybe my bad luck.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Stting in the TK lounge now on my way from LAX back to HKG. I am 6ft 5" so for me its all about the seat/legroom and I have to say I LOVE TK new comfort class. Knocks BA WT+, QF PE etc out of the water.

My flight back from LAX was 100% full whilst Y was only 60-70%. Chatting to the check-in guy they offer US$280 buy ups at check in to whatever space they have left in CC and its very popular. On the other hand the buy up to J is US$980 and he has never sold one...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
TK Lounge is great but TK borading proceture very bad
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:23 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Do TK offer an at-airport paid upgrade to comfort class? Flying LAX-IST later this year.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by tcm
Maybe it was a NRT thing. Let me give some more info. The comfort class catering concept is based on short haul/medium haul J catering. The starters/mains are similar to what you get in short haul/medium haul J. The canapes are the same as in J, less selection. The fruits and deserts are the same as in J, again with less of a selection.

I agree that the drink offerings are rather poor on TK. I only ordered Asian food once on TK, flying to Seoul, and it was terrible. Maybe my bad luck.
I flew TK C class (you call it J) medium haul recently (3+ hours to/from Stockhom) and the catering was very good, much better than Comfort Class to/from NRT. And much better than normal intra-Europe C class on other airlines.

And the annoying thing is that tickets on the NRT route are much more expensive. My significant other just purchased a full price CC ticket for over $4000 in the last minute. I guess it's because of the (lack of) price competition. A ticket on LH from NRT was around $2700 this summer in regular economy in W class.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:57 am

I know this is an LAX-centric thread, but what buy-up offers have people gotten from JFK-IST?

I booked the really cheap LAX-IST-LAX flights from a couple of months ago, but I'm flying LAX-JFK-IST-ORD-LAX with the domestic legs being on UA.

Edit: Also, I called for them to assign me seats (flying in about 45 days) and I asked for aisles. They gave me 9D and 10D, which I understand to probably be in comfort class. I'm going to be less than pleased if they bump me back to economy to a middle seat :/
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by wcalvert
I know this is an LAX-centric thread, but what buy-up offers have people gotten from JFK-IST?

I booked the really cheap LAX-IST-LAX flights from a couple of months ago, but I'm flying LAX-JFK-IST-ORD-LAX with the domestic legs being on UA.

Edit: Also, I called for them to assign me seats (flying in about 45 days) and I asked for aisles. They gave me 9D and 10D, which I understand to probably be in comfort class. I'm going to be less than pleased if they bump me back to economy to a middle seat :/
AFAIK, the 77W aren't used to ORD in the near future and it's the A330s. So there won't be Comfort class on those planes. And the CC on the 77Ws starts with row 11.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Do TK offer an at-airport paid upgrade to comfort class? Flying LAX-IST later this year.
I flew LAX to IST in CC yesterday and they were selling upgrades for 200 euros. When I checked-in online the cabin was half full, but the plane left full in CC. So it seems to be very popular. The experience was great and I found the seats to be very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.