Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
You can’t use the term “J class” and “business class “ interchangeably. There are flights with business class departing from Stockholm, but not J class. There must be J class to upgrade into.
Yes, people on the TK board need to be very careful to avoid using "J" to mean business class in general. "J" is TK's lowest Business Class fare bucket and necessary for E+ upgrades.

Some people have reported success at upgrading into K. YMMV. But if there is truly nothing ever sold ex-ARN in the "J" bucket, you might have a better chance of success. All you can do is call and see and, if necessary, just upgrade the ex-IST long-haul leg.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
You can’t use the term “J class” and “business class “ interchangeably. There are flights with business class departing from Stockholm, but not J class. There must be J class to upgrade into.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I am fully aware of the distinction between Business Class and the booking class J.

Booking Class J is available on ExpertFlyer for the chosen flights.

However Turkish Airlines don't have any fares loaded in the GDS that book into J. So in other words will booking class J be used exclusively for upgrades since it is indeed available in the system, or will they simply refer to the fact that they're not selling it from Stockholm.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by LH4116
However Turkish Airlines don't have any fares loaded in the GDS that book into J. So in other words will booking class J be used exclusively for upgrades since it is indeed available in the system, or will they simply refer to the fact that they're not selling it from Stockholm.
Both. I'm sure there are plenty of fares in J-class to STO. As far as I know there does not need to be a published J-fare on your route to be able to upgrade, what is important is that J-class is available.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
There doesn't need to be a published J fare for your route, but there needs to be J class availability on the entire trip component you are looking to upgrade. Given that TK manages availability, this matters.

In other words, just seeing J class when looking at ARN-IST and when looking at e.g. IST-HKG is not enough. J needs to be available when looking at ARN-IST-HKG.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airoli
There doesn't need to be a published J fare for your route, but there needs to be J class availability on the entire trip component you are looking to upgrade. Given that TK manages availability, this matters.

In other words, just seeing J class when looking at ARN-IST and when looking at e.g. IST-HKG is not enough. J needs to be available when looking at ARN-IST-HKG.
Yes, but even if TK won't publish a J fare for ARN-IST-HKG-IST-ARN, they might do so for a HKG-IST-ARN-IST-HKG. In which case there should still be J inventory to upgrade into, irrespective.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Newbie Elite+ here so this may be noob question. If I buy a TK tix through Expedia or such, are the TK flights upgradable with the vouchers as well as if they were bought directly on TK.com?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
Newbie Elite+ here so this may be noob question. If I buy a TK tix through Expedia or such, are the TK flights upgradable with the vouchers as well as if they were bought directly on TK.com?
It’s not gonna be easy. I once tried to upgrade TK ticket immediately after purchasing ticket at the travel agency. Upgraded ticket couldn’t be issued for unknown reason. Agent said no problem, final ticket processing will be done at the departure airport. I didn’t trust that, cancelled ticket and purchased new one on the TK site. The latter was instantly upgraded by the phone agent.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:33 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
I always buy my tickets though a travel agent and didn't have any issue as long as the ticket is issued and that you have the TK PNR (which is different from my travel agent's PNR)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I also got the ticket upgraded without any problem when booked through an OTA. J miles credited - I suppose I was just a lucky one in TK's jungle.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by dabee69

It’s not gonna be easy. I once tried to upgrade TK ticket immediately after purchasing ticket at the travel agency. Upgraded ticket couldn’t be issued for unknown reason. Agent said no problem, final ticket processing will be done at the departure airport. I didn’t trust that, cancelled ticket and purchased new one on the TK site. The latter was instantly upgraded by the phone agent.
Originally Posted by G_G
I always buy my tickets though a travel agent and didn't have any issue as long as the ticket is issued and that you have the TK PNR (which is different from my travel agent's PNR)
Originally Posted by on22cz
I also got the ticket upgraded without any problem when booked through an OTA. J miles credited - I suppose I was just a lucky one in TK's jungle.
Thanks for replies. Looks like OTA tickets are upgradable, but maybe first-quoter had problems due to something like the second-quoter had with PNRs. Then, is "TK PNR" somehow different than the PNR that you get from any OTA?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:35 am

Raising anew the discussion about J availability, which has been discussed here before: I have been looking into some economy bookings and double-checked then the business tix too in order to see what they sell on the same routes and I can only find K class, never J. Just like discussed before. Kind of annoying to guess if there is the "hidden J" available even though not seen by the TK booking engine. Well I just guess I need to call TK and do as in WIKI - book pay&fly, confirm by phone if there is J, and then pay and ticket.

I don't want to buy otherwise a W or P ticket which earns almost nothing just to find out I cannot even upgrade it
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Also make sure that if a middle name appears on your miles and smiles card that you include that as part of the first name in the name field on Expedia. Expedia does not send along the middle name to airlines some times, and this prevents me from using a certificate because the ticketed name did not include my middle name and the TK call center and sales office could not perform the upgrade.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by siberslava
Also make sure that if a middle name appears on your miles and smiles card that you include that as part of the first name in the name field on Expedia. Expedia does not send along the middle name to airlines some times, and this prevents me from using a certificate because the ticketed name did not include my middle name and the TK call center and sales office could not perform the upgrade.
+1. I've had this issue on many occasions where the middle name I enter in the booking form on an OTA doesn't transfer over to the actual ticket. As you mentioned, inputting both names in the first name field always works.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: TK Elite
Are the vouchers available for open jaw routings? ie CDG SIN KUL CDG?

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Are the vouchers available for open jaw routings? ie CDG SIN KUL CDG?
Yes, vouchers are directional so as long as you have a revenue ticket that is open jaw, you can use one voucher per direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.