Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Nice one. I've never managed that. Although, it's never been that big a deal. I have upgraded IST-PVG a couple of times with my voucher, which is the most important one. ARN-IST I can manage in eco. Plus, I usually get op-upped there anyways.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by aulrik
Yes, 3 segments all upgraded, used one voucher.
1 voucher for 3 segments might be a new Record
May I ask which route ?
Old May 13, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by moeser
1 voucher for 3 segments might be a new Record
May I ask which route ?
Well, maybe this is actually only considered as two segments, I'm not sure, but anyway: The route was SGN-BKK-IST-OSL. SGN-BKK-IST is the same flight, with a technical stop in BKK, however, I had two tickets this time, one for SGN-BKK and another for BKK-IST-OSL, as I originally planed to stay overnight in Bangkok.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:05 am

Well, maybe this is actually only considered as two segments, I'm not sure, but anyway: The route was SGN-BKK-IST-OSL. SGN-BKK-IST is the same flight, with a technical stop in BKK, however, I had two tickets this time, one for SGN-BKK and another for BKK-IST-OSL, as I originally planed to stay overnight in Bangkok.
Thanks.

I think your TK office did a really good job !
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB platinum, TK elite plus, A3gold, aclub platinum, safarflyer silver
Hi all,

This is my first post. I validated my vouchers als an E+ member. One tip, dont call the miles and smiles number, go directly to your TK agent at your airport or local office, it saves you a lot of time and headaches.
My mistake was to call the callcenter number for elite and elite+ members, I got 3 different agents on the phone, total cost about 70 euro and after one hour still no upgrade They could not do it on the phone they told me....
So, the next day I go to my local TK office and they upgraded me in 10 minutes, no hassle, only a smile and good service, this is how it should be.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:06 am

What is the most reliable source for checking availability in J? I have used expertflyer.com, which is usually great, but I have now had 3 incidents over the last 2 weeks, where expertflyer.com have told me there were available seats in J, while the TK agent say there is no seats. Don't know if it's expertflyer.com that doesn't get updated frequently or the TK agents that lies, but it's quiet annoying nevertheless.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:32 am

What is the most reliable source for checking availability in J? I have used expertflyer.com, which is usually great, but I have now had 3 incidents over the last 2 weeks, where expertflyer.com have told me there were available seats in J, while the TK agent say there is no seats. Don't know if it's expertflyer.com that doesn't get updated frequently or the TK agents that lies, but it's quiet annoying nevertheless.
Both sources are probably correct but you're are most likely a victim of married segment control.

Example: If you check a flight e.g. LHR IST and IST BKK, both segments can have "J" available. Still TK married segment control (which is recently totally out of control) can decide that TK is not willing to sell LHR IST BKK in "J" if requested as a through ticket. If the TK agent books the first segment in "J", the second one will all the sudden show "J" 0. So the flight will show the TK agent a different availability depending on the first segment in your booking and even depending on the date of your return flight. That happened to me but TK can wait list you in that case and my flights got confirmed within days.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:27 am

Same experience here. All direct flights, in each of the three cases experflyer.com showed J availability - and one of them was actually J5, but each time TK call center replied with zero availability. Not sure KVTools works though.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:46 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried again today, this time only on single segments, direct flight. Expertflyer and FlidhtStats.com shows availability in J (4 and 5 seats) but TK agent say "no availability". This is really frustrating and just yet another hurdle in the ever more difficult game of actually using your miles and vouchers.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:06 am

Well, this is getting completely ridiculous. Tried one more time now, on a flight two months from now, on a route where I know there is hardly anyone in C at any time (always tons of available seats). Flightstats and Expertflyer show 9 seats (at least) in J, TK agent says "no availability".

Why are TK making it so hard for their most loyal customers to use their hard earned perks? It simply makes the entire Miles and Smiles program look like a joke.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Well, this is getting completely ridiculous. Tried one more time now, on a flight two months from now, on a route where I know there is hardly anyone in C at any time (always tons of available seats). Flightstats and Expertflyer show 9 seats (at least) in J, TK agent says "no availability".

Why are TK making it so hard for their most loyal customers to use their hard earned perks? It simply makes the entire Miles and Smiles program look like a joke.
Are you asking this with a totally blank pnr? Ie. don't open your reservation, don't book any other flights, just call and ask if they have J on the direct route XXX-XXX.

As others have mentioned TK availability depends not only on actual availability but also if it is married (ie. in conjunction with another fligth) and what flights are already booked in the pnr.

A recent example:
BKK-IST-CAI showed J2. However when you first booked CAI-IST-BKK in the pnr then availability changed to J0.
On the same trip I also had HEL-IST-SSH. The flight IST-BKK 3 days later I wanted showed J0 with a blank pnr but if I inserted HEL-IST-SSH first then IST-BKK showed J5.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Are you asking this with a totally blank pnr? Ie. don't open your reservation, don't book any other flights, just call and ask if they have J on the direct route XXX-XXX.

As others have mentioned TK availability depends not only on actual availability but also if it is married (ie. in conjunction with another fligth) and what flights are already booked in the pnr.
Is there a way to book blank pnr online? Or is this only available with local/physical ticket offices? I suppose this would not be cheap to begin with.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by vincewy
Is there a way to book blank pnr online? Or is this only available with local/physical ticket offices? I suppose this would not be cheap to begin with.
Sorry, I think I may have expressed myself unclearly. What I meant by blank pnr was that you start a completely new reservation, so that when you check availability it its not impacted by any other flights.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Sorry, I think I may have expressed myself unclearly. What I meant by blank pnr was that you start a completely new reservation, so that when you check availability it its not impacted by any other flights.
It's a lot clearer now.

It seems like it's easiest to redeem the vouchers with a simple round trip IST-XXX and book early, like 6+ months ahead where you'd see J9 on flightstats.com.

The married segment seems to dictate the availabilities of J Class, as well as Comfort Class (A vs O), and this can drive casual flyers insane.

For example, I wanted to book JFK-IST on Comfort Class on certain periods, it gives you A fares only on selected/few departure dates. However, if I book it with connections, JFK-IST-XXX (IST-XXX is economy), A fares are widely available during the same period.

To make things even crazier into another dimension, different connection times dictate availabilities on the same segment(s). In the example above, JFK-IST-XXX, the connecting flight IST-XXX (multiple dailies) with shortest layover at IST doesn't have A fare at all (you have to purchase O or U fares on JFK-IST), even though you're taking exactly the same JFK-IST flight in the same cabin.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:59 pm

I posted my frustration about the difficulties of using the vouchers, a few week back, but yesterday I had a very good experience; I stopped by the TK office here in Saigon and after 10 min. I got an upgrade for SGN-BKK-IST-OSL later this month. One voucher for all segments. I have gotten the exact same upgrade once before, also that through the TK office in Saigon. Guess its better to keep a personal relationship with the staff there, than trying to call the TK CS in Istanbul to upgrade :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.