Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.230 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I had my interview last week at IAD. Went fine but I was a little bothered the agent commented about my income. He could see my tax returns and I thought commenting on them was inappropriate. I guess one agent now is worth the hassle of future CBP agents at future entries though.
During my interview I could not see the screen the CBP was viewing. I don't remember entering my ss# on the application--I thought that would be needed to access IRS tax info. Could they have gotten income info from another source, say credit bureau files?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by nrr
During my interview I could not see the screen the CBP was viewing. I don't remember entering my ss# on the application--I thought that would be needed to access IRS tax info. Could they have gotten income info from another source, say credit bureau files?
Pretty sure ssn was on the application, but even if it wasn't they could easily get it via your passport which you do key in.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.230 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

His sheet of paper showed about 40 different database queries and the results. Included Interpol and UK among others. Clearly IRS is another data source - its insane to think they wouldn't cross-reference that as well.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

His sheet of paper showed about 40 different database queries and the results. Included Interpol and UK among others. Clearly IRS is another data source - its insane to think they wouldn't cross-reference that as well.
When I did my interview at JFK (terminal 4) on 9/21, the only papers the agent had were a list of appointments and a sheet I signed acknowledging that I knew all the conditions--everything else was on his computer screen.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
The fact that this information is printed out is a concern ... I would've asked where the shredder was located as that's an awful lot of private/identifying information in one place so how is it being handled. I wouldn't be surprised if the policy for the airports folks doing the interviews was supposed to be a paperless one. My interview involved reading off a screen and comparing to that data - no printouts anywhere other than the appt list.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:49 am

Like nrr and GoingAway, the only sheet I saw on the agent's desk was a list of appointments for the day. His questions came from things he saw on his computer screen.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Can someone tell me what goes on at the interview? What should I expect?

Finally, and pardon the ignorance, at IAD and BOS, the GOES kiosks are located in all terminals which have international flights, right? I don't know the terminals that well, so could it be a crap shoot?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GITU
Can someone tell me what goes on at the interview? What should I expect?

Finally, and pardon the ignorance, at IAD and BOS, the GOES kiosks are located in all terminals which have international flights, right? I don't know the terminals that well, so could it be a crap shoot?
For the actual "interview", the agent swipes your passport through a scanner, to log you into the database, takes your picture, and several sets of fingerprints--4 LH, 4 RH plus two thumb prints. You do a test run on a demo terminal. A CBP sticker is placed on pp. Besides minor conversation, there really is NO interview.
When I got conditional approval, the email asked me to set up an appointment, on the appointment confirmation an exact description of where to go is noted. At the end of the "interview", the agent noted it took 10 minutes (which he thought was fast in light of the slowness of his terminal. [JFK has lots of terminals, CBP for Global Entry was in terminal 4.]
PS: The documentation states that you should bring proof of where you physically reside (rent receipt, water bill etc.) I brought a rent receipt but it was not looked at.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
For the actual "interview", the agent swipes your passport through a scanner, to log you into the database, takes your picture, and several sets of fingerprints--4 LH, 4 RH plus two thumb prints. You do a test run on a demo terminal. A CBP sticker is placed on pp. Besides minor conversation, there really is NO interview.
When I got conditional approval, the email asked me to set up an appointment, on the appointment confirmation an exact description of where to go is noted. At the end of the "interview", the agent noted it took 10 minutes (which he thought was fast in light of the slowness of his terminal. [JFK has lots of terminals, CBP for Global Entry was in terminal 4.]
PS: The documentation states that you should bring proof of where you physically reside (rent receipt, water bill etc.) I brought a rent receipt but it was not looked at.
My agent studied my utility bills (I brought both electric and cable/internet/phone) very thoroughly and typed something about each one on his computer.

My "questioning" was mostly conversational (what I do, how I afford to travel a lot as a student [I'm a former airline employee], etc.) with the only "real" questions having to do with why my drivers license was out-of-state and why I had been to one particular Middle Eastern country for a weekend two years ago.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:32 pm

IAD Global Entry location

By the way, the Global Entry website lists an off-site location in Sterling, VA as the Dulles enrollment center. Upon signing up for the interview, however, you learn that the center is indeed at Dulles Airport.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA
Finally got around using it the first time at SFO. 2 kiosks, saw 1 person just walking away when I came. No line at all, done in about 2 minutes on the kiosk. Had only carry on but had to wait around 5 minutes in line to get out of the customs area.
Adding up all including walking it took me around 15 minutes from leaving the plane to a shower in the arrivals lounge.
Very nice and definitely worth the money.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Had only carry on but had to wait around 5 minutes in line to get out of the customs area.

I thought we got to go the the head of the customs line by showing the receipt and passport with the CBP sticker.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Depends on the airport, but many now have a separate line for Global Entry that feeds from the side to the front of the Customs exit with signage. Lacking any special line, I've normally found that showing the receipt will normally move you to the front.

Again, some airports may still be coming up to speed as even those with the system in place from the beginning have officers who are unaware.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MileHigh
Had only carry on but had to wait around 5 minutes in line to get out of the customs area.

I thought we got to go the the head of the customs line by showing the receipt and passport with the CBP sticker.
Was not really possible, no separate line, no signage and a larger crowd clustering around the 2 agents (not formed into any lines).
Except being really rude and pushing my way through there was not way to cut to the front of the line.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
By the way, the Global Entry website lists an off-site location in Sterling, VA as the Dulles enrollment center. Upon signing up for the interview, however, you learn that the center is indeed at Dulles Airport.
I was going to ask about this. I have to transit thru IAD for my international connections and sometimes my flight arrives so that I only have time to get to my next gate. I'm concerned about the timing and might take an earlier flight with a 4-5 hour layover (ugh!). Where is the enrollment center located?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.