Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Do they really make you provide documentation showing residence in the US? I haven't lived in the US for many years, but do still possess a drivers license. Will that suffice?
The risk manager side of me needs to point out that if you're not resident in the state from which your driver's license was issued, it won't be legally valid for driving anywhere. Some jurisdictions seem diligent about identifying when this happens and insurers can deny coverage. Hopefully you have a valid license where you're living.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
The risk manager side of me needs to point out that if you're not resident in the state from which your driver's license was issued, it won't be legally valid for driving anywhere. Some jurisdictions seem diligent about identifying when this happens and insurers can deny coverage. Hopefully you have a valid license where you're living.
My license is legally valid, and in fact I just had it renewed a couple of years ago, same state I pay taxes and vote in. Just overseas on an assignment that has lasted forever and I have my property rented out. I'm planning on taking the last property tax bill just in case.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ftfan
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Had my interview at SFO yesterday (8/27) and brought a fellow F/t'er with me who was approved with an interview scheduled for October hoping they would take her as a walk in and using the CBP Officer's words, "we can't do walk-ins as we''re hammered thanks to the Airlines giving it away for free and the best bet is for her to keep checking the calendar to see if an earlier date has opened
Interesting to notice that SFO schedules interviews every 30 minutes between 8AM and 3PM (15 interviews per day), while LAX schedules every 20 minutes between 7AM and 10.20PM (46 interviews!). The SFO team must be staffed a lot less.
There are 3 stations and two are used for GE with the 3rd one for pax traveling with "issues" and when I was there, both GE stations were being used and the time for my interview and the person next to me took 10-15 minutes
===

And now for a shameless plug but for a very good cause

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ffle-draw.html
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
My license is legally valid, and in fact I just had it renewed a couple of years ago, same state I pay taxes and vote in. Just overseas on an assignment that has lasted forever and I have my property rented out. I'm planning on taking the last property tax bill just in case.
Good - and thanks for explaining. I hope I wasn't overstepping bounds; I just run into situations like this in my career that can cause people huge problems.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
The risk manager side of me needs to point out that if you're not resident in the state from which your driver's license was issued, it won't be legally valid for driving anywhere. .
That is incorrect, there are many reasons people are not resident "legally" in a state where they have a license, and many others have licenses from one state with an address in another. For example I have a Texas license with an out-of-state address on it and that is not that uncommon.

Students, Military, contractors, the millions of people with vacation/2nd homes in other states, snowbirds, those "legally homless" (not the under the bridge kind but I presume they could too...)
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: Various
What about the proof of address for children? I am listed as their legal guardian on the application (I'm their mom), so should I just bring proof of address for myself? I have lunch bills from their schools sent to their names at our address, but that's it for them!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:39 pm

I think you are fine if you just bring your proof of address. My wife will be taking my daughter for the GE "interview" - won't be much of an interview with an 18-month old - and she certainly hasn't received any bills yet
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by thelark
I think you are fine if you just bring your proof of address. My wife will be taking my daughter for the GE "interview" - won't be much of an interview with an 18-month old - and she certainly hasn't received any bills yet
That's what I was thinking - thanks! It's kind of crazy to expect a baby (for example) to have mail in his/her name.

Also, another application data point. I applied for both my kids on 8/31, and saw that they were approved this morning (9/5). Not bad, considering 9/1-3 was a holiday/weekend.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:47 am

Walk-up interview at BOS?

Hello,

I've been conditionally approved, and scheduled an interview at BOS for several months form now, the earliest available. Has anyone tried doing a walk-up appointment there? What do you recommend?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Hello,

I've been conditionally approved, and scheduled an interview at BOS for several months form now, the earliest available. Has anyone tried doing a walk-up appointment there? What do you recommend?
If you happen to be at BOS for some other reason then you should definitely stop by an give it a shot. But, you'll most likely be able to get a much earlier appointment if you check the GOES site frequently..ie, multiple times per day. There are often short notice cancellations and you would be able to move up.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27
You always have the option to engage in an argument with the CBP Officer. Guess who is going to win?

--J
Or not argue with the CBP officer and then just post/vent you frustration on FT :-)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
OT: Makes me wonder how it works if you fly to Canada or Mexico and then drive back over the border (where the agent usually just glances at you and waves you through, without swiping your passport into the system). How would the CBP computer system know you had returned Stateside? Could foul things up the next time you try to leave the country by air and and the airline swipes your passport for APIS purposes prior to boarding pass issuance.

(Or are all U.S. land border stations swiping individual passports/WHTI-complaint documents for each and every traveler nowadays?)
Food for thought and for reconsidering the overblown "trying to smuggle the 3 year old" comments.

BTW, RFID is a wonderful technology for applications of this nature, and widely deployed at the land borders.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Hello,
I would definitely try a walk-up. Mrs. SFO had a 12:30PM appointment at SFO a few weeks ago. We arrived at 12:05P. There were 3 Global Entry agents and we were the only "customers" for the 20 minutes we were there. They were all very pleasant. As long as you are in the system and have all your docs, I'd certainly try it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by nkedel
Through LAX customs, bag pickup, immigration, and drop off in 8 minutes from the airplane door yesterday -- including the walk from T4 into Bradley. Is it worth it? Oh, heck yeah.
I had the same thing at ORD ^^
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:48 am

Just had my appointment last week. I was asked to supply documentation verifying my physical residence address overseas. I also had to fully explain the nature of my work, how long I had been overseas, etc. I was also questioned about having traveled so extensively. He also wanted to know where I heard about Global Entry. I said the internet and he said, really, where on the internet? Took about 10 to 15 minutes and they said the card will show up in about 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.