Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Using Nexus card as ID at check-in

Has anyone had problems using their Nexus Cards as ID when checking in for an AC flight recently?

Checked-in at EWR yesterday morning, and as always, showed my Nexus card as my ID. After being chided for only checking in within 15 minutes of the 60-minute limit, the agent then insisted to see my passport. It wasn't just that he asked, but the way he asked that bugged me. When I asked why he needed a passport, he said it was an AC policy now (can anyone confirm this?). Never had a problem using this before.

Then, at the gate, the (different) agent, again, upon presentation of my Nexus card as ID, insisted on a passport, reminding me that I'd need one at YYZ anyway if the machines were down.

Now, I always carry my passport as backup, but it seems weird to me that AC employees, who are mostly pretty knowledgeable about the Nexus program and are familiar with the card, are all of a sudden getting strict about passport only. Like I said, I always carry a passport in case, but even the TSA doesn't have a problem with a Nexus card anymore, and I'm thinking that if a Nexus card is WHTI-approved and an approved document by both the US and Canadian authorities, why would AC not accept them? Has anyone had a similar experience recently?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Take these in your back pocket when you travel. I always get hassled in the US when using my NEXUS card as ID.

http://passengerprotect.gc.ca/identity.html
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Take these in your back pocket when you travel. I always get hassled in the US when using my NEXUS card as ID.
I think part of the problem is my NEXUS card looks nothing like the one on the PDF. That could be creating some confusion. I don't know if the one on the PDF is the new one that we're supposed to be getting, but if I hadn't been told the card was different than pictured, I wouldn't accept it.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:11 pm

just got my card...they expire 5 yrs. from your next birthday..I'm getting 5yrs 10 months!!
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennyg1966
just got my card...they expire 5 yrs. from your next birthday..I'm getting 5yrs 10 months!!
Just curious, is this one of the new, security-enhanced Nexus cards that they claim they will now be sending out by the end of the year?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just curious, is this one of the new, security-enhanced Nexus cards that they claim they will now be sending out by the end of the year?
don't think so...guy said i would be getting a new one
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:37 pm

If a Canadian enters the US using NEXUS does anyone know how long he/she can stay? I think it would be either 2mo or 3mo? Doesn't 6mo require an I-94?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by *wood
If a Canadian enters the US using NEXUS does anyone know how long he/she can stay? I think it would be either 2mo or 3mo? Doesn't 6mo require an I-94?
Using Nexus, you're entitled to the maximum stay for a Canadian visitor. According to the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa's website at http://www.consular.canada.usembassy....asp#canadians:

"Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry. Requests by any foreigner to extend or adjust a stay must be made prior to expiry to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. All Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires all foreigners to qualify for the desired stay and purpose at the time of their intial entry. A visitor who intends to live, work or study in the U.S. may be permanently barred from the U.S."

I think a few years ago, the limit used to be 90 days, but because of so much demand from snowbirds, they extended it to 6 months.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:17 pm

Maximum stay is 6 months.

Canadians are exempt from filing an I-94, except, of course in CLT where they have their own unique set of arbitrary rules
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:03 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, Hilton-Gold.
Processing Times

Is there any difference in time to being given an interview for paper applications sent it to CBSA versus online applications on GOES?

What are the approximate timelines, I am in Toronto?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan
GOES is supposed to be faster than a paper application.

Not sure about current waits in TO as I'm in YVRn but expect at least a month, especially with the holidays.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:53 am
jto

3 weeks and still waiting for GOES to approve. Then there's the interview wait for YKZ...
Old Nov 28, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GOES is a faster way to go over paper, no question.

But if you have a history of something like living abroad, or anything that might require checking with a third country (besides US or Canada), it might take a bit to get that information from the third-party government.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
New NEXUS cards, anyone have one yet?

Has anyone received their new NEXUS card? Some time during the summer, I (and others here) received a letter asking me to confirm/update contact information so a new version of the NEXUS card could be sent to us. Thus far I have yet to receive this card, though I have seen it illustrated on the NEXUS web site. I did my request through the online link provided in the letter and assume everything worked fine. While I plan to contact NEXUS on Monday, I was just curious to know if these cards have actually gone out?
Old Nov 29, 2008, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Has anyone received their new NEXUS card? Some time during the summer, I (and others here) received a letter asking me to confirm/update contact information so a new version of the NEXUS card could be sent to us. Thus far I have yet to receive this card, though I have seen it illustrated on the NEXUS web site. I did my request through the online link provided in the letter and assume everything worked fine. While I plan to contact NEXUS on Monday, I was just curious to know if these cards have actually gone out?
They're supposed to start being mailed in mid-December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.