Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by bug_me_not
Right, but as it is at the top of the form many get confused and check of 24hrs even if it was a day-trip. There should be a "less than" option or some indication that the field is not required.
agreed, although I was told, which seems obvious, if you are less than 24 hours and have something to declare, it would be "easier" just to use a regular lane and hope you are waved through...
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bug_me_not
Right, but as it is at the top of the form many get confused and check of 24hrs even if it was a day-trip. There should be a "less than" option or some indication that the field is not required.
Don't be silly - it is a government form - why would you think the options available would be logical?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC*E
Crazy weekend at Peace Arch

Went to do some shopping yesterday, and when I crossed at the Peace Arch, there were no fewer than two cars directly in front of me that merged out of the Nexus lane into the regular traffic flow; the last one (which was the car directly in front of me) decided to change lanes at the very last minute (i.e. when normally they should be holding their Nexus card up to the card reader). Instead, they did a very awkward 3-point right in front of me (well, after I backed up to give them room), and then sat blocking both the Nexus lane *and* the regular lane to our immediate left, until it managed to get finagled into the right lane. Two of the US crossing guards were standing by the booth watching them (I could pretty much read their minds).

So after sitting watching this with the utmost incredulity, I finally get to the booth where the guard actually greets me by name (never happened before), says "Whatcha bringin' with ya?", and then waved me on.

On the way back, had to cross at the Pac Highway Nexus crossing (construction on the I-5 route), and there were plenty of non-Nexus holders in the Nexus lane (including, again, the car right in front of me). When I pulled up, the CBP agent hardly looked at me before she started asking, "Where are you from" etc when I handed her my TDC, and she started to stutter and said, "Where are you fro... oh... right.. Oh, sorry! I thought you were a non-Nexus member! Go ahead, have a great day!". That explained why it took the vehicle in front of me *forever* to get through. I was preparing myself for a random latex glove.

Regardless, these little hassles WITH Nexus definitely beat the regular lineups WITHOUT Nexus!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:28 pm

I think I'm going to invest in the NEXUS. I live in Halifax, so day trips to the US aren't really an option, but I sometimes connect in the USA, and from time to time visit the USA.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
NEXUS at YVR now opens at 06h00?

It's 01SEP and I'm at YVR waiting for my 06h19 flight to ORD (boarding at 05h49) and then onwards to EWR.

Immigration opens "around" 04h30 (varies from 04h30 to 04h45).

This morning I got to immigration at 04h25 and stood by the NEXUS barrier. I noticed, just like last week, no "NEXUS Air Members" sign.

When they opened the security guard tells me that NEXUS is now open at 06h00. What?!! She let me go through and then I went to the NEXUS machines and since I was the first person in the immigration hall I asked if I could go to the machine. The officer waved me to the NEXUS machine and off I went to customs and security. Total time, 5 minutes.

I will follow up with YVR but it seems that NEXUS is now only opens at 06h00. The line at 04h25 would have been about 150 people. I shutter to think what it will be like at March break.

I don't know if this is ICE or YVR's doing. I suspect it is YVR's doing since the priority line at security at one time was open to NEXUS members at 05h00 but was changed about 9 months to a year ago to only be available at 06h00. I would not think ICE would have any influence on the priority security line after customs. Not to mention the NEXUS machines were activated, I was waved to the immigrations by an ICE officer and the ICE official at customs person did not say anything about me using NEXUS.

In mid-fall I will start my YVR-SFO-EWR routing to avoid weather in DEN and ORD over the winter months. The SFO flights leaves at 06h00.

If NEXUS is only available at 06h00 then this will be a royal pain.

I will report back what YVR says. If others can post their experiences pre-06h00, it would be very much appreciated.

Not no happy travels...
Cheers
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I think I'm going to invest in the NEXUS. I live in Halifax, so day trips to the US aren't really an option, but I sometimes connect in the USA, and from time to time visit the USA.
Not sure how much use to you it'd be connecting in the US - Nexus machines are currently only located in Canadian airports. Though if you did want to daytrip to Bangor, you could use the Nexus lane in Woodstock/Houlton (though your dude would have to have Nexus too).

Still, to me, absolutely worth the $50 for five years.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:26 pm
ALW

I took connecting in the US to mean YHZ-BOS-??? or something like that. So Nexus at YHZ transborder?

=aw
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ALW
I took connecting in the US to mean YHZ-BOS-??? or something like that. So Nexus at YHZ transborder?

=aw
Wow, not sure what my brain was working with there... I think I was picturing pilotboy connecting through the US from Intl, and somehow (now get THIS!) pre-clearing Canadian customs in the US!

...perhaps it's time for another coffee..... a *strong* one...

Last edited by uselessheadrest; Sep 1, 2008 at 1:32 pm Reason: Capitalization
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Just an example of how this helps . . .

Our flight left HKG 2 hours late yesterday. Arrived into YVR 2:05 hours late. AC had booked 14 of us on connecting flight to YYC 1 hr (I was surprised but happy) later which meant effectively 45 minutes to make connection (allowing for closing doors 10 minutes prior to departure). I told concierge who had our boarding passes waiting at the gate that I had no baggage and had NEXUS. She said I should have no problem.

Did my usual fast walk/run through the airport. Arrived at immigration to a packed hall--VERY glad to have NEXUS. No way were most of those 14 going to make it, especially if they had luggage . . . (I am not sure they would have made the 2 hour later flight!).

Whipped through the NEXUS iris scan and onto the next traffic jam where they take the customs declaration cards from departing passengers--what a zoo that is with a packed hall. Still managed to get through that in 10 minutes but got secondaried (I knew I would since I answered yes to one of the questions--had some nut/seed candy from China). Fortunately, the guy who put me to secondary came in after me as there was a line up in secondary and I said it is probably these (showed him nut candy)--he just took down the tape and said I was free to go. Priority security sticker already on boarding pass so no arguing with security and got to gate (had to be the furthest gate from international to domestic B) as they were just starting econo boarding, about 35 minutes in all.

Only 3 of us with NEXUS cards made the flight.^
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Seems more people are discovering the card and signing up. I was out at YYZ this morning and the NEXUS office was open and doing a booming business, including lots of families getting the whole crew iris scanned.

Picked up a booklet of Travellers Declaration Cards (for land crossing), and also had my US info "fixed". The last two times at YYZ Pre-clearance, the iris scan rejected me. I went to the crew line agent and was processed without a problem. And never had a problem with the kiosks coming back into Canada, nor entering the US or Canada by car. However, it seems the Americans never recorded my new passport and drivers license in the proper area of the data base, despite the fact that both were actually the ones I had and registered when I went from CANPASS to NEXUS. Seems they just had the transfered data from CANPASS and for some reason, the American computer kept both the old and new info, but it was the old info that triggered the rejection because it was in the primary record field.

Which raises the question of what officers see on their screens when we use land crossings, or even do the normal preclearance?

Should be okay now, so I'll see how it goes on Thursday.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:04 am

Question

I have a question. I am filling out a NEXUS application. I am at the "Have you ever been found in violation of customs or immigration laws" question.

In my early teens, nearly two decades ago, I had an article of clothing seized on my return to Canada because I had not declared it. To get it back, I paid the duty owing plus, I believe, the article's value or some fraction of it.

I plan to mention this incident on my application. Is this the type of thing that will prevent me from obtaining a NEXUS card? I have crossed the border uneventfully probably hundreds of times since the incident.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by meeeeeep
I have a question. I am filling out a NEXUS application. I am at the "Have you ever been found in violation of customs or immigration laws" question.

In my early teens, nearly two decades ago, I had an article of clothing seized on my return to Canada because I had not declared it. To get it back, I paid the duty owing plus, I believe, the article's value or some fraction of it.

I plan to mention this incident on my application. Is this the type of thing that will prevent me from obtaining a NEXUS card? I have crossed the border uneventfully probably hundreds of times since the incident.
From what I understand you will be ok. I know people with similar offenses that made it into the program. But I'd say you should mention the incident on the application.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
Address Change

Hey all,
How should I update my recent address change with Nexus? Should I just change it on the GOES site? Or do I need to call the Nexus people and/or go in to YVR (I live in Vancouver) for an interview?
Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I went in to do it at a Nexus office. I was (not so) politetly told to do it online next time (from the Canadian guy) U.S. was fine about it..
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:59 pm

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
Hi,
Maybe I am going crazy but I don't see a way to update my address on GOES. I log in to the system, and the main page has a section called Program Membership, under which is my membership number, my status (approved) and a link to "Manage Membership". When I click on Manage Membership it just lists all my current information, but there is no way to change it.

The links in the sidebar on the main page don't help wither. There is a link that says "Change Mail-To address" but that just seems to be a way to update my mailing address, not my actual place of residence.

Has anyone updated their address on GOES? Can you please let me know how you did it? I am probably missing something very simple, but I've been scanning the site for the last 20 minutes and can't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.