Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Viper536

However, when my wife went in for her interview, they asked for the conditional approval letter. I was able to view and print mine from the GOES site when I had my interview, but I can't find it anywhere on the TTP site. They didn't seem to have a big problem in that she didn't have it. My son's interview is tomorrow.

Do they just need this because they want the Membership Number/PASSID? If so, should I just print a copy of the interview summary which shows this info?

Thanks in advance.
I did my renewal interview last friday in Fort Erie, Canada. I just handed them the appointment confirmation paper and it was sufficient. They did not even ask for the approval letter. Quite nice people there and my interview lasted 2 minutes and I am out. Change of status email hit my inbox while walking back to my car after finishing the interview.

Surprisingly the US CBP officer asked me if I am pleased with the services of Nexus and GE at airports in US and CAN!

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Oct 31, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question whether Global Entry still needs to be renewed after getting NEXUS was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by seawolf
Furthermore GE requires passport. NEXUS does not.
Slight clarification: NEXUS does not require passport from US and Canadian citizens. LPRs of either country are required to carry passports(unless also a citizen of the other.) The US further requires US LPRs to carry their green cards at entry (and indeed at all times.)

IME as a US LPR and NEXUS member, they don't usually ask for this documentation, but if they ask and you don't have it, expect to lose NEXUS privileges for life.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Okay, I confess that while I haven't read all 700+ pages of this thread, I read the Wiki and I'm still confused.

I am being told by other people that if you are approved for Nexus, you have Global Entry, regardless of point of entry to this country. They're saying you can spend LESS money and still get ALL of the Global Entry benefits with Nexus. I thought Nexus was a dedicated program between Canada and the US.

If someone could please help me out here, I'd be much obliged.
The way I understand it, if you have Nexus, you do not technically have GE membership. The way I've always seen it worded is that Nexus membership includes GE benefits. In that way, your first sentence isn't really correct, while your second one is.

For most, its probably a distinction without a difference. However, given it is mentioned specifically that way, it is actually a bit different. Also, unlike other TT programs whose citizen members can officially join GE as members, Canadian citizens can not actually join GE...just get the benefits of GE as Nexus members.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
The way I understand it, if you have Nexus, you do not technically have GE membership. The way I've always seen it worded is that Nexus membership includes GE benefits. In that way, your first sentence isn't really correct, while your second one is.

For most, its probably a distinction without a difference. However, given it is mentioned specifically that way, it is actually a bit different. Also, unlike other TT programs whose citizen members can officially join GE as members, Canadian citizens can not actually join GE...just get the benefits of GE as Nexus members.
I can confirm the above. I am a US citizen that had Global Entry up until a few months ago. (My Global Entry was set to expire in January, 2019.) I applied for Nexus, was approved pretty quickly, and did not need to do an interview, per se. I went into the Nexus office at YUL and completed my retina scan, and subsequently was approved for Nexus. I then used my Nexus card to go through the Trusted Traveler / Global Entry lane at YUL and return to the United States.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
The moment I have dreaded for the past few years has arrived and I have to bite the bullet and renew Nexus. Dreading because it used to be that some renewals required interview and some did not. It *appears* from some recent posts here but also from the new website that ALL renewals are now required to interview.

Is the above correct?

My issue, which figured in some discussions here a few years ago with several of us contributing yet no real resolution found: I now live overseas. I am still eligible as far as I have been able to determine, and I still have (and use) a U.S. address. However, I have no plans to travel to the U.S. or Canada in the near future. Therefore, what is the best course of action for renewal?

Should I not renew and try re-applying later when I know I can attend an interview? (least-favored option!)
or
Should I renew and book an appointment, even if I am fairly sure I can't attend, and keep moving it forward? And if I do this, how long can it be stretched out?
or
Should I renew online, buy as cheap a plane ticket as humanly possible, and fly back just for the renewal interview? (Bearing in mind I am currently unemployed and job-hunting so the occasional interview thrown in or new job with inflexible schedule could make this idea impossible anyway.)

I am very hopeful there are some Nexus renewal gurus out there reading this - any advice is welcome. Thanks folks.

[Edit to add: there is no way for me to travel before expiry, sadly, so I'll be experiencing the long lines of the non-TT passenger on my next trip, whenever that happens.]

Last edited by bostonoski; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:22 am Reason: add information
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:37 am

Maybe I am missing something, but what is the point of having NEXUS if you have no plans of traveling to the United States or Canada?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kilarney
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the point of having NEXUS if you have no plans of traveling to the United States or Canada?
I presume you mean no plans travelling between the two countries. If not travelling to USA or CAN, there is no point having GE/SENTRI/NEXUS.

If not travelling to CAN, the only advantage to NEXUS is the enrollment fee which is likely more than offset by having to go to the Canadian border to complete enrollment.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:50 am

I presume you mean no plans travelling between the two countries. If not travelling to USA or CAN, there is no point having GE/SENTRI/NEXUS.
They were quite clear:

Originally Posted by bostonoski
I now live overseas. I am still eligible as far as I have been able to determine, and I still have (and use) a U.S. address. However, I have no plans to travel to the U.S. or Canada in the near future.
I suppose that "near future" is open to interpretation, but I am still wondering why renewing NEXUS is even worth it under this fact pattern.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Should I not renew and try re-applying later when I know I can attend an interview? (least-favored option!)
This, honestly.

Judging by everything else you say, it's just not worth it. If you're not going to the USA or Canada, NEXUS is simply not worth anything. There are no benefits to NEXUS that do not involve USA or Canada travel. It definitely isn't worth booking a plane ticket just to go to the interview from another continent. Plus, waiting will give you five years of NEXUS from whatever future date you apply and are approved for it, instead of five years from now.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
They were quite clear:
Oh. I didn't realize you were replying to bostonoski.

Just thought you were asking out of the blue what is the point of NEXUS if not traveling to US/CAN.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Oh. I didn't realize you were replying to bostonoski.

Just thought you were asking out of the blue what is the point of NEXUS if not traveling to US/CAN.
Shame on me for not using the quote feature. I can see why there was confusion.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
This, honestly.

Judging by everything else you say, it's just not worth it. If you're not going to the USA or Canada, NEXUS is simply not worth anything. There are no benefits to NEXUS that do not involve USA or Canada travel. It definitely isn't worth booking a plane ticket just to go to the interview from another continent. Plus, waiting will give you five years of NEXUS from whatever future date you apply and are approved for it, instead of five years from now.
Phew. Note to self: remember to be *crystal clear* in FT posts...

Thanks TheBOSman... probably the best course of action.

Clarification for the other replies: for me "near future" meant simply the next month or so. Not likely to enter the US until at least January or later. All of my family are in the US & Canada, so I make 1-2 trips per year. If I can get to an interview, for me the $50 is a worthwhile expense for 5 years of skipping the - often huge - lines at passport control when I go home/visit. I originally applied based on doing a lot of land crossings to Canada, but found the further benefits (ie GE) were well worth having. I may end up with the $100 GE though, if the logistics of reaching a Nexus office are too much.

(I'd like to ask if anyone knows if GE interviews only happen in the US, but I suspect mods might kick that to another forum thread...?!)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:02 am

I suppose that "near future" is open to interpretation, but I am still wondering why renewing NEXUS is even worth it under this fact pattern.
A very good reason: I hate the thought of entering the US from overseas and standing in a line of tired & jetlagged people for an hour or more if I don't have to. When I last entered the US in August the lines were so bad that even GE people had trouble getting out of the tunnel from the plane into the area where we could go through!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
What is the general experience like when entering Canada at the airport with Nexus as a US citizen? After the kiosks do they officers as you the same questions as the normal lines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.