Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yanks1108
FT colleagues, I'll be flying YYZ-LGA tomorrow morning without my passport (damn visas). Is it possible to use the GE kiosk with my NEXUS card as the NEXUS machines have been replaced by GEs?

Thanks.
Aside from the "you must have the passport" rule, technically, you can insert the NEXUS card in the GE machine in a position and orientation that puts the <<<< marks in the same position as the passport would do, and it reads it.
I use the card in lieu of my Cdn passport all the time. I never travel without the passport. I have never been asked for the passport, but I was told to have it.
It is not clear to me whether the GE machine will read the card in lieu of a US passport, because that is not my situation. There have been other posts in this thread where the traveller for one reason or another did not have the passport on hand and was able to use the card in the GE machine as a workaround.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Help on NEXUS application for existing GM member

I tried searching the thread to no avail-

I already have Global Entry and use it frequently.

I now need NEXUS for getting into Canada 2-3 times a year.

I log into my GE account to apply for NEXUS but there is no button for me to launch the NEXUS application process.

What am I doing wrong?

I plan to visit the office in Montreal on my way out of the country to see if they can explain it to me, but maybe ya'll have some insight?
Old May 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You'll be fine. Your DL status is irrelevant to your ability to enter Canada. And, you can't remove your DL from GOES - that can only be done by an agent at the office. And if you don't have a new DL later it doesn't matter - it can be used as a form of photo ID or to prove your residency on your application, but as far as Nexus is concerned, not much else.

If it was your passport, would be a completely different story. But DL won't matter.
Originally Posted by ls17031
You'll be fine.

I tried to update my DL at the YYZ office while transiting there and was told that it's no longer required. When I got back to YUL I confirmed with my friends away the Nexus office there who confirmed.

Have a great flight!
Thanks folks! As you indicated, no problems!
Old May 6, 2014, 1:15 pm

Considering applying for NEXUS cards for my family (2 adults & 2 kids), all US citizens, likely at the NH/VT crossing. We are planning a trip north to CA in early July. Will I be able to pick the date/time for the interviews?
Old May 6, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mpond
Considering applying for NEXUS cards for my family (2 adults & 2 kids), all US citizens, likely at the NH/VT crossing. We are planning a trip north to CA in early July. Will I be able to pick the date/time for the interviews?
Once you're approved, you can pick interview date/time online in GOES
Usually the earliest spot will be at least 2-3 months in future

Whether you get them on the date you want, that's very unlikely. Keep checking daily/hourly

Also, for family, 4 applications = you need 4 appointments on the SAME DAY (can be different time though), and the agent can see you all together
Old May 7, 2014, 6:07 am

Thanks Jerry. How flexible are they if you need to change an appointment? Is it something that can just be done online, or is it frowned upon?
Old May 7, 2014, 8:25 am

Thanks Jerry. How flexible are they if you need to change an appointment? Is it something that can just be done online, or is it frowned upon?
I guess someone should edit the Wiki on top to include Interview FAQ, maybe I'll do that later

You can keep changing appointment until 24 hours before the appointment
So no harm to book something first, then keep checking daily to look for earlier spots
Old May 7, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is there a Trusted Traveler Security Line at YUL in US wing? I saw a NEXUS security line but liquids and laptops were required to be taken out.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is there a Trusted Traveler Security Line at YUL in US wing? I saw a NEXUS security line but liquids and laptops were required to be taken out.
NEXUS is a trusted traveler programme.

What you see is what you get at YUL and the rest of Canada. It's just a priority line with WTMD only.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ls17031
NEXUS is a trusted traveler programme.

What you see is what you get at YUL and the rest of Canada. It's just a priority line with WTMD only.
Thanks. So only YYZ has the NEXUS lane where liquids and laptops can stay in the bag.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:07 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Thanks. So only YYZ has the NEXUS lane where liquids and laptops can stay in the bag.
For Transborder only, domestic/international NEXUS lanes require the usual removal of everything.

Although yesterday someone posted that the transborder lane was requiring people to take out their laptops.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Absolute
domestic/international NEXUS lanes require the usual removal of everything.
At the YVR domestic CATSA line you don't have to remove your shoes.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gglave
At the YVR domestic CATSA line you don't have to remove your shoes.
You never have to remove your shoes when flying domestic in Canada, except if there is some metal into them...
Old May 8, 2014, 9:13 am

I am in the Northeast US and from what I can tell, the closest enrollment center is listed as:
Code:
Champlain, NY
Champlain
Highgate Springs, VT
Does anyone know whether I can go to either Champlain, NY or Highgate Spring, VT , or is enrollment at just one of those crossings?

Also, will I need to interview both at the US and Canada sides? So, for example if I were to instead stop at the Montreal airport enrollment center, will I also need to schedule an interview on the US side?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I am in the Northeast US and from what I can tell, the closest enrollment center is listed as:
Code:
Champlain, NY
Champlain
Highgate Springs, VT
Does anyone know whether I can go to either Champlain, NY or Highgate Spring, VT , or is enrollment at just one of those crossings?

Also, will I need to interview both at the US and Canada sides? So, for example if I were to instead stop at the Montreal airport enrollment center, will I also need to schedule an interview on the US side?
Also, it might be worth checking the Lansdowne, ON station. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere but might not be too much further from you, depending on where you are. Because it's not close to any major cities (the closest city is probably Ottawa, which has its own enrollment center), it seems to have better availability than the more popular places. That's where I did my interview.

You'll only need to interview once--all NEXUS enrollment centers are staffed with both U.S. and Canadian officers. However, I believe if you interview at some centers, you may not get some of the scans done (either iris or fingerprints) if they don't have the equipment and may need to visit another center to finish that portion of the process, although with Canada moving towards just using the GE machines, maybe they've changed that now. But you can do those second scans at any office without an appointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.