Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
TDC question

The TDC cards represent an simplified way of importing goods. Because of the limited space on the card you can't really get too complex regarding goods from certain countries that are duty free. For example, you can only choose between USA or other as a country of origin. With certain types of goods, for example a rug, if you fill out the TDC correctly you get hit with a 20% duty when in reality the duty may not apply.

In my case, I bought a rug with a total cost of 350 USD. It was made in India and after a little research on the CBSA website I found out that rugs from India are duty free (still need to pay GST and PST in Quebec). But there is no way to indicate this on the TDC currently. So my choices were to check off the USA box and pay the correct amount; or tick off "other" and pay 20% duty; or not use NEXUS.

I went in the regular lane and had to talk to a CBSA agent who was maybe 20 years old. Clearly a summer-time student. The agent actually asked me what a customs tariff classification code was. She did not understand that just because something was made outside of the USA that duty may not apply. Even with the tariffs in hand and having all the paper work in a folder for her she still had to go ask the boss what to do.

My question is is there way to use a TDC and NEXUS but still pay the correct duty in this scenario? I asked at the cashier desk and they shrugged their shoulders and said to call NEXUS...

I thought about buying 351 USD of groceries and then checking off USA as the country of origin for everything, but that would have put me over the 500limit to use NEXUS.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ealid
For example, if you have a jacket that isn't yours when you go through the Nexus lane and they ask you, that is grounds for them cancelling it.
What is up with that? I didn't realize having a borrowed jacket is a customs violation.. I did my interview at yyz and didn't get told much about land crossings, as I haven't done one in close to 20 years..
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You're getting a bit pedantic about this "country of origin" thing. When one imports an item on a personal trip, all that matters is the country it was purchased in, not the country it was made in. Let's face it, next to nothing you'd purchase in the US was made in the US (maybe designed but not manufactured). The whole concept, I admit, is quite outdated in this day and age of global outsourcing. Under the personal exemption, neither origin nor nature of the product is considered in the equation. Just the amount spent. (Other than alcohol and tobacco, of course, and for agricultural controls, food products.)

Customs forms need to be overhauled, I agree. That stupid line about not having financial instruments over $10,000 is also specious considering the credit cards in our wallets likely exceed that limit many times over. And would not milk chocolates constitute a dairy product? I am told when going through customs that chocolates are not considered a dairy product so I should not check that box any more. But if I enter Australia or New Zealand I had better declare them because they do constitute a food category that may violate their entry rules on food stuffs.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
When one imports an item on a personal trip, all that matters is the country it was purchased in, not the country it was made in... Under the personal exemption, neither origin nor nature of the product is considered in the equation. Just the amount spent.
I believe that none of the above is true. As an example, I bought an Italian jacket in Hong Kong last year. When I declared it at YYZ, the duty payable was based on the country of origin, not the place of purchase.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
You're getting a bit pedantic about this "country of origin" thing. When one imports an item on a personal trip, all that matters is the country it was purchased in, not the country it was made in. Let's face it, next to nothing you'd purchase in the US was made in the US (maybe designed but not manufactured).
Your information is not correct. Customs tariffs and treaties exist for a reason. In theory, they are supposed to protect Canadian industry from unfair trade practices etc. We can argue about the tariff policy but country of ORIGIN and not PURCHASE is what determines how much duty is to be paid.

In my case, I dove to Champlain NY for about 20 mins to pick up my item and could not claim any personal exemption.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:54 am
ALW

that would have put me over the 500limit to use NEXUS.
What 500 limit do you mean? I'm not aware of one.

When one imports an item on a personal trip, all that matters is the country it was purchased in, not the country it was made in.
This is so not true it would be hard or impossible to be less true. I know people who went shopping in Plattsburgh for the day and were hit with duties on linens originating in China (in addition to the taxes).

Under the personal exemption, neither origin nor nature of the product is considered in the equation.
Now this part is partly true (the origin part, since the nature of some goods is significant, including but not limited to, tobacco, alcohol, cheese, other dairy products, chicken, turkey, and others -- many of these are tax free yet have quantity or value limits on importation).

=aw
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:56 am
ALW

The thing that bugs me most about the TDC in this area is that Canadian-manufactured goods are lumped in with foreign and not with US! (Mexican should probably be in with US as well, but it's the Canadian that bug me).

=aw
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ALW
What 500 limit do you mean? I'm not aware of one.
From http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...tions-eng.html

Maximum dollar amounts that you can declare on a TDC:

For more information concerning your personal exemptions
Same day: $500 (no exemption)
24-hour absence: $500 (includes $50 exemption)
48-hour absence: $1,000 (includes $400 exemption)
7-day absence: $1,550 (includes $750 exemption)

Values that are more than those indicated above must be reported to a CBSA officer.

I really would have bought 351 $ of water at wal-mart if I could have.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:25 pm
ALW

Thanks, I wasn't aware of those limits.

=aw
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ALW
Thanks, I wasn't aware of those limits.
Good thing to know. Breaking those limits (even by ignorance) as well as wrongly stating country of origin for the majority of goods could result in having your card lifted.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 5:28 pm
ALW

Two more interesting items from that page.

First, the statement that if you're over your exemption limit you must use a TDC with Nexus Air (contrary to what everyone here says is their instruction and experience).

* Each CANPASS Air and NEXUS member arriving in Canada by commercial airline who has exceeded the personal exemption as stated on the E311 card must complete a TDC (if you have not accepted TDC privileges you must see a cashier to pay any overages). Only Canadian residents can use TDCs. Personal exemption allowances are listed at the end of these instructions.
Secondly, Canada-produced goods are lumped in with US-made goods (which addresses my supposed aggravation posted earlier):

The goods were made in - In this field indicate where the majority of the goods you are importing are from (based on dollar value). For example, if you are importing $100 worth of merchandise and $51 or more of these goods are made in the U.S. and/or Canada, shade the U.S. circle. However if $51 or more of the goods are made elsewhere, you must shade "other."
=aw
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ALW

Secondly, Canada-produced goods are lumped in with US-made goods (which addresses my supposed aggravation posted earlier):

=aw
The form is so convoluted it is ridiculous. And yet they expect every member to know every rule by memory as ignorance is not an excuse.

I also find the time limit check box silly, as there is no box for "under 24 hours" - they should bold the fields that are required.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by bug_me_not
The form is so convoluted it is ridiculous. And yet they expect every member to know every rule by memory as ignorance is not an excuse.

I also find the time limit check box silly, as there is no box for "under 24 hours" - they should bold the fields that are required.
I was told if less than 24 hours, just leave it blank.

Furthermore, I was under the impression that TDCs were only for use at land crossings - I leave them in my car and don't take them with me when I travel by air.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uselessheadrest
I was told if less than 24 hours, just leave it blank.
Right, but as it is at the top of the form many get confused and check of 24hrs even if it was a day-trip. There should be a "less than" option or some indication that the field is not required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.