Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 3:24 pm
B1

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj
Just got the email allowing me to set up an appt. and this is more as info for others awaiting this step. At YYZ the next available appt. is June 17(roughly 5 weeks away), ended up setting up an appt. next week at the Fort Erie location, there were appt's. available for tomorrow and the rest of the week if driving down there is an option.
The Fort Erie office is a bit of a trick to find. Get off the QEW at Central Avenue - don't go into the Duty Free Shop. Turn right on Central and then there is a parking lot on the left. The entrance is through the hole in the wall. Remember to ask for a declaration card book if you ever are going to use the land border into Canada - you must have the declaration card. They connect it to your credit card. If they don't have an English version, they often have the French version, which is just as easy to use. There also is an office on the US side of the Whirlpool Bridge. You also have to go to a kiosk at the Whirlpool to put the tolls into your NEXUS card. This is required at the Whirlpool as there is no person to collect tolls and you can use it for the lower rate than the cash price at the Rainbow and Lewiston as a toll-card.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dochazmat
Nexus is pre-approval only for immigration purposes, i.e., who you are. The customs declaration form is exactly that -- a customs declaration form, i.e., what you have with you. They are two wholly separate issues.
Yet the United States is able to combine them into one with Global Entry-- you fill out your questions on the screen. If one has nothing to declare, all the Customs card has is the "no" answers to the questions which are done on screen with Global Entry. All the other data on the Customs card is Methinks NEXUS is behind the curve in this regard.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I connect through YLW and had to add a connection with enough time for the interview at YVR (YYC also does it out west). It was a bit of a hassle because I missed my first interview due to a flight delay, but once you attend it only takes an hour (I did mine yesterday) - the US and Cdn officials sit right next to each other in the office in YVR.

It then takes about 2 weeks for the card to reach you. Make sure you have all your documents with you because you have to show them in person so if you forget anything you have to go back in person.

Good luck!
Thanks to you both for the tips.
Old May 13, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AirCanada Prestige
Anyone tell me where exactly in T1 the interview is? Assuming you don't have a flight - can I just head to YYZ for the appointment without a ticket or anything? I've been pre-approved, just need to make my appointment.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cuz99
Anyone tell me where exactly in T1 the interview is? Assuming you don't have a flight - can I just head to YYZ for the appointment without a ticket or anything? I've been pre-approved, just need to make my appointment.
Yes, you can go without a flight ticket or itinerary.

Go to the United Airlines ticket counter, Aisle J. When facing it, look to the right, about your 4:00, and take that escalator down. The NEXUS office, with chairs out in from of the door, is right there.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
Yes, you can go without a flight ticket or itinerary.

Go to the United Airlines ticket counter, Aisle J. When facing it, look to the right, about your 4:00, and take that escalator down. The NEXUS office, with chairs out in from of the door, is right there.
The Nexus office at YYZ was moved back in March. It's now on departures level (T1), by aisle H, right next to the US preclearance area. It's still pre-security and no flight ticket is required.
Old May 15, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Forgot Declaration Booklet

Hi FT'ers.

We are in Brich Run doing some outlet shopping. However, our declaration booklet is sitting at home on my desk.. DOH!

Is there a Download-able form I can print out and submit when crossing?

Options?

Thanks

Steve
Old May 16, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by patrick_usacanada
Just keeping checking the website every day. I was able to move my appt up 4 weeks. I was going to go to Fort Erie, then a app came available in 1 week's time in Toronto.
You probably got the appointment I gave up. I decided we'd be too time-pressured to do our interviews that day so I scheduled them for two weeks from today since we'll be in Niagara Falls for the weekend anyway.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
You probably got the appointment I gave up. I decided we'd be too time-pressured to do our interviews that day so I scheduled them for two weeks from today since we'll be in Niagara Falls for the weekend anyway.

Probably, was nice to see an appointment available in one weeks time. ^. Thank ya .
Old May 17, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by OnMedic
Hi FT'ers.

We are in Brich Run doing some outlet shopping. However, our declaration booklet is sitting at home on my desk.. DOH!

Is there a Download-able form I can print out and submit when crossing?

Options?

Thanks

Steve
Nope. You are out of luck. Each book has a barcode and serial number that is linked to a specific user.

Edited to add: So I couldn't find my TDC booklet today and was heading to the USA. I stopped at the NEXUS office in Champlain, NY and got a new booklet in under 10 minutes.

Last edited by fly-yul; May 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm
Old May 17, 2010, 10:01 pm

CATSA offers expedited screening for those with Nexus

Link here for discussion.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: NEXUS, GE, JFK, PEACE BRIDGE
Post Nexus Application Denied, What recourse

Ok, here is the brief history. Please bear with me. I am dual citizen of Canada and US. I am GE and Nexus member. My wife is a dual Premanent Resident Card holder of US and Canada living in U.S.. She recently was granted GE status and than leter she applied for Nexus card. She yesetrday received a denial letter from Nexus, Niagara Falls ON from CBSA stating that since she is a Canadian PR but listed U.S. her current address, she is denied Nexus card but may still be eligible for entry to Canada. Now, this is little off base but I do not blame Nexus program as GOES web site did not had link to explain "special" circumstances. Now, here is my theory to have the Nexus card approved. Please comment if this could a valid argument to have Nexus card issued to my wife.

As I read the Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, it states that Canadian PR holders can stay "indefinitley" out of Canada if they are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse, and each day spent abroad will be treated as being "physically" present in Canada. The PR status will not be terminated if such is the case. Now, I also read the US Immigration and nationality law, and it states that a US permanent resident shall not stay more than 6 months out of US at a time to maintain their PR status.

Now, my wife FULLY complies with both laws. She stays with me in US and I am being Canadian and US citizen (yes, Canada recognizes dual citizenship and same does the US) and she has not been out of US for more than 6 months at a time.

Is this good argument to clear her legal situation to qualify for Nexus program and she is not committing any immigration violation. It appeared to Nexus office at the early stage if she is commiting an immigration violation of her Canadian PR status by not living in Canada and living abroad, but that is perfectly legal, if she is staying with Canadian citizens spouse.

She has sent the same argument in writing along with copy of my Canadian citizenship card and our marriage certificate to Nexus office. What are her chances of being approved? Sorry for such a long post but the issue needed clear description.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by smalik2
As I read the Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, it states that Canadian PR holders can stay "indefinitley" out of Canada if they are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse, and each day spent abroad will be treated as being "physically" present in Canada. The PR status will not be terminated if such is the case.
For better or worse, that's the law in Canada, yes.

Now, I also read the US Immigration and nationality law, and it states that a US permanent resident shall not stay more than 6 months out of US at a time to maintain their PR status.
It doesn't sound like the USA has a problem with her application because she was already granted Global Entry status.

She has sent the same argument in writing along with copy of my Canadian citizenship card and our marriage certificate to Nexus office. What are her chances of being approved? Sorry for such a long post but the issue needed clear description.
Personally I think her chances are pretty good based on what you've written here.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
For better or worse, that's the law in Canada, yes.

It doesn't sound like the USA has a problem with her application because she was already granted Global Entry status.

Personally I think her chances are pretty good based on what you've written here.
Thank you very much. I am hoping for a favorable disposition from CBSA. As she already have GE, I hope CBP will not cause a significant delay either. Could she would have added any thing else to make it smoother?
Old May 19, 2010, 12:18 pm

What is your the latest status

Originally Posted by Doom4life
Just a quick follow up to my last post. There is a note on my file that the redress committee receieved my letter. I was also transfered to another CBSA agent who I left a message with to call me back. I will keep this thread updated so that perhaps I can help out if there are any issues such as mine, that may arise.

Please let us know if you have received any decision yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.