Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam007
I know global entry includes pre-check. So when I go to the airport, do I look for the GE line or Pre line?
They're really two separate things.
At domestic airports, when you approach security look for the PreCheck line. Make sure PreCheck is marked on your boarding pass. In this line you don't take your shoes off or take anything out of your bags. Just empty your pockets into the little bowl before going through.
Global Entry is used when you are coming back to the US from overseas. In this case, as you approach Passport/Immigration Control, look for the Global Entry KIOSKS where you will insert your passport, look into a camera, have your fingerprints checked, and answer some questions on the touchscreen. Obviously this only works if you are enrolled in GE. Then the kiosk spits out a "receipt" which you show to a CPB officer as you exit the area and to the Customs officer after you collect your bags.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:06 pm

Got it - I know some local airports like EWR now make you scan all your bags after collecting them from the carousel. Does GE help with that or do I still need to put my bags through the scanner? Thx
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it - I know some local airports like EWR now make you scan all your bags after collecting them from the carousel. Does GE help with that or do I still need to put my bags through the scanner? Thx
That process has nothing to do with either program.
PreCheck and Global Entry certify the traveler, not his baggage. A Customs agent can request to search your bag regardless of your Trusted Traveler status (though TT status might make that less likely).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:07 pm

I don't care checking my baggage. What I was more intersted to find out is if I have to still stand in that 15 min line at EWR or JFK to scan bags. This has occured the last 2 times when mlutiple international flights arrived at the same time and the only 2 baggage scanners were the choke point
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are confusing two entirely separate processes.

GE is a CBP program for entry to the US.

Pre-Check is a TSA program for expedited security clearance at checkpoints.

GE includes Pre-Check, but the two programs are separate.

GE costs $100 for 5 years and Pre-Check $85 for the same time period. Thus, you are saving $15 over 5 years by selecting Pre-Check only. That is $3 per year. If you travel 4 times/year, that is $0.75 per entry.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Often1
GE costs $100 for 5 years and Pre-Check $85 for the same time period. Thus, you are saving $15 over 5 years by selecting Pre-Check only. That is $3 per year. If you travel 4 times/year, that is $0.75 per entry.
$0.75/trip (or flight?) - since Pre-check is not applicable for entry.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I don't care checking my baggage. What I was more intersted to find out is if I have to still stand in that 15 min line at EWR or JFK to scan bags. This has occured the last 2 times when mlutiple international flights arrived at the same time and the only 2 baggage scanners were the choke point
I'm not familiar with those arrival halls, but is there a separate line for GE passengers to "cut" the line? Most airports have both the kiosks in a separate line (for immigration) and then a separate line for customs as well, with an officer asking whatever questions s/he deems fit.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:30 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
YMMV regarding relatives on the same PNR. The general rule of thumb is that TSA Precheck is only for the person that went through the interview whatever process. It sounds like some airlines are doing some cute tricks though, but of course are not publicizing that because it's supposed to be secret.

I have Precheck. My parents do not. We just flew to and from JFK and all three of us got Precheck. I don't know if this was random, or if it is something JetBlue does. I read in another thread that Delta seems to grant it to everyone on the PNR. My parents both just turned 60, so I don't know if they were pre-approved because of age.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
YMMV regarding relatives on the same PNR. The general rule of thumb is that TSA Precheck is only for the person that went through the interview whatever process. It sounds like some airlines are doing some cute tricks though, but of course are not publicizing that because it's supposed to be secret.

I have Precheck. My parents do not. We just flew to and from JFK and all three of us got Precheck. I don't know if this was random, or if it is something JetBlue does. I read in another thread that Delta seems to grant it to everyone on the PNR. My parents both just turned 60, so I don't know if they were pre-approved because of age.
No airline decides TSA Pre. Only DHS decides.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
It's all anecdotal. My parents and siblings tend to get Precheck 100% when we're on the same PNR, although the sample size is small. When I'm not on the same PNR or flying with them, their success rate on Pre from entirely random (no FF status, no TT program) is about 50/50. I've heard multiple people say the same thing for the same PNR (not so much for the random Pre increases on PNRs where the TT is not flying too).

Again, entirely anecdotal, absolutely not guaranteed, but reports seem to suggest their is some correlation between someone being a TT and increased "random" pre on boarding passes from DHS/TSA for nuclear family.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:43 pm

The process is the same. When flying in to Dulles we had a huge line for immigration, then zipped through the customs bag drop and then a second huge line to go back through TSA security. Regardless if you have GE or PreCheck, you have to do that TSA security screening upon reentry in the USA. Of course, having PreCheck should make the security screening quicker, but they still do it.

It is those huge lines that had us sign up for Nexus. We missed our connection due to them.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Guys - I only travel 3-4 times a year (mix of domestic and international) and destinations change all the time. Since GE includes TSA Pre now, GE is the obvious choice for someone like me. Right?
Yes. $15 more gets you much-expedited immigration & customs experience and still has TSA Pre.

NEXUS would be even better if you can get it and don't mind going to one of the enrollment centers (e.g. airports in Canada, some border crossing points, etc.), because it's only $50.

Also, if I have my mom traveling with me on the same PNR, is she automatically going to get the same Pre line as me even though she isn't enrolled?
IME, there's a good chance of it. My mom (in infrequent traveler with no airline status and no Pre enrollment) has gotten Pre when on my PNR or on my wife's (I have NEXUS; my wife has GE)... every time she's flown with us. Very limited statistical universe, though: we're talking 6 flights in 2 years or so.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:56 am

Global Entry vs. TSA Pre

Eligible to get the fee for either one reimbursed. Travel a lot domestically; rarely travel internationally. Primarily interested in TSA Pre.

What should I choose? If I get GE, will my success rate with TSA Pre be the same as if I just choose a TSA Pre membership?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303
Eligible to get the fee for either one reimbursed. Travel a lot domestically; rarely travel internationally. Primarily interested in TSA Pre.

What should I choose? If I get GE, will my success rate with TSA Pre be the same as if I just choose a TSA Pre membership?
Not the correct forum - but definitely go GE. Same TSA pre success, and in the rare international travel you do have, you'll be so happy.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
GE, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.