Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
I applied for NEXUS within a year of GE expiring and my Known Traveler Number was the same. I think that because you applied more than a year before you needed to you ended up with two accounts. Do you have a different KTN for each? I'm actually surprised it even allowed you to do that. When I went in to the TTP site recently I think it told me I couldn't apply for a new card because I was too early. I think that if your NEXUS still works you might be better off leaving things as they are but maybe others think differently

I am sort of in the same boat

DO NOT re apply for GE - if you do it will over ride NEXUS and you lose NEXUS

I just came thru IAH and scanned my passport and it gave me the 14 days till expiring on my GE (I got NEXUS 2 years after my GE renewal)
I went to the station and asked, they looked up my info and my NEXUS portion of GE hasn't kicked in until GE expires naturally, then I will use the GE portion of my NEXUS.

Basically their computer can only handle you having 1 type of KTN thing at a time and if you renew GE it will over write the NEXUS, just like your NEXUS overwrote your GE

It is all kinds of fuzzy, but the next time I go thru my GE will be expired and my NEXUS will be my only active program and they said to just ask an agent to contact the manager and get it sorted.
TWA884 and BThumme like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by BThumme
I originally applied for global entry in 2013.

I applied for Nexus two years ago. Flying back from YUL today, I got a notice my global entry was expiring soon (coinciding with my birthdate, 5 years after enrollment of original GE). My nexus membership is good until 2022. I thought that by getting nexus, I was essentially starting a new slate (so everything would expire together in 2022). Is that not the case? just a glitch? I will try and make it to a CBP office sometime soon to ask in person, but not sure when.

When I log onto my goes profile, I only see NEXUS as my active membership - nothing about GE other then I originally paid for it back in 2013. What should be my next step (if other then waiting to see a CBP location?)
It happened to me also. Just ignore that message. Your NEXUS is good until 2022. Mark your calendar to renew your NEXUS at T-364.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
But there wouldn't be any point in applying for GE anyway if you have NEXUS since NEXUS gives you everything that GE does.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

But there wouldn't be any point in applying for GE anyway if you have NEXUS since NEXUS gives you everything that GE does.
Correct, but you get the GE expiring emails, GOES site lists it as expiring and when you use GE for the last 30 days prior to your old GE expiring the kiosks will warn you it is about to expire.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Correct, but you get the GE expiring emails, GOES site lists it as expiring and when you use GE for the last 30 days prior to your old GE expiring the kiosks will warn you it is about to expire.
I didn't get those e-mails. Strange.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

I didn't get those e-mails. Strange.
I did not receive one also.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I am sort of in the same boat

DO NOT re apply for GE - if you do it will over ride NEXUS and you lose NEXUS

I just came thru IAH and scanned my passport and it gave me the 14 days till expiring on my GE (I got NEXUS 2 years after my GE renewal)
I went to the station and asked, they looked up my info and my NEXUS portion of GE hasn't kicked in until GE expires naturally, then I will use the GE portion of my NEXUS.

Basically their computer can only handle you having 1 type of KTN thing at a time and if you renew GE it will over write the NEXUS, just like your NEXUS overwrote your GE

It is all kinds of fuzzy, but the next time I go thru my GE will be expired and my NEXUS will be my only active program and they said to just ask an agent to contact the manager and get it sorted.

Wanted to make sure I closed the loop on this....just processed thru IAH returning from Frankfurt and from the time the door on the plane opened to baggage claim was 6 minutes. GE worked like a charm and the line was nothing - compared to the regular line when 3 planes had just dumped passengers.

So, yeah, that warning is crapola - as long as your nexxus is good, GE is fine
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:49 pm

Hello All,
I currently have Global Entry, and today I applied for NEXUS presuming that I will have both cards active if my NEXUS application is approved as well.
After applying for NEXUS and doing some research, I have got to understand that NEXUS decision will supersede my current Global Entry access. Am I understanding this correctly?

My questions :
  1. If I get a NEXUS approval, will I be able to use it during International travels (arriving to US apart from CANADA or MEXICO)?
  2. What benefits will I lose switching to NEXUS? I am even thinking of cancelling my NEXUS application, if there are restrictions like "To be used for LAND/AIR travel between USA, CANADA and MEXICO only"
  3. When will the Global Entry be superseded? After the interview OR as soon as Conditionally Approved? If after Conditional Approval of NEXUS, I decide not to take the interview will I still continue to have Global Entry?
Can somebody share their experiences?

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
All of your questions have been extensively discussed in this thread.

NEXUS includes Global Entry and TSA Pre✓® benefits for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens (Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart).

Your Global Entry card will be deactivated upon the activation of your new NEXUS card.

P.S. Our rules do not allow cross-posting. Your identical post in the other thread has been deleted.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:11 am

Good Morning All,
I saw my conditional approval of NEXUS application this morning..I am already a GE member. Request the members' for some of the information I am looking out for. Basically, the conditional approval letter lists documents to bring for interview. Of which Drivers licence is one of them

1) My drivers license has the address I lived before (the one at the time of GE Approval) and different from my current address. Will this cause any problems? Or can I bring my utility bills to support my address. When I applied for NEXUS I have listed my current address and also had diligently updated my current address in Trusted Traveler program CBP portal as soon as I had moved

2) There is a window of 1 year to book the appointment. Has this now changed? I faintly recall and it was long time ago, of coming across an information about 30 days to book the appointment from the date of conditional approval

3) Due to the new Conditional approval, what will happen to my current Global Entry membership till I go through the interview for NEXUS?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by vnangli
Good Morning All,
I saw my conditional approval of NEXUS application this morning..I am already a GE member. Request the members' for some of the information I am looking out for. Basically, the conditional approval letter lists documents to bring for interview. Of which Drivers licence is one of them

1) My drivers license has the address I lived before (the one at the time of GE Approval) and different from my current address. Will this cause any problems? Or can I bring my utility bills to support my address. When I applied for NEXUS I have listed my current address and also had diligently updated my current address in Trusted Traveler program CBP portal as soon as I had moved

2) There is a window of 1 year to book the appointment. Has this now changed? I faintly recall and it was long time ago, of coming across an information about 30 days to book the appointment from the date of conditional approval

3) Due to the new Conditional approval, what will happen to my current Global Entry membership till I go through the interview for NEXUS?
Your GE membership is fine and it's only canceled whenever you're approved for NEXUS.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
Your GE membership is fine and it's only canceled whenever you're approved for NEXUS.
And any thoughts about the Address mismatch on my drivers license?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
And any thoughts about the Address mismatch on my drivers license?
I can't say for certain that it shouldn't be an issue, though I'm inclined to think it shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps bring something else that could serve as proof of your current address.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:35 am

Good Morning All,

1) My drivers license has the address I lived before (the one at the time of GE Approval) and different from my current address. Will this cause any problems? Or can I bring my utility bills to support my address. When I applied for NEXUS I have listed my current address and also had diligently updated my current address in Trusted Traveler program CBP portal as soon as I had moved?
Do you have proof you have changed address on your driver's license to current address? Utility bill is a good back up.

Yes, that is still the case. If I were you, I would make an appointment within 30 days from conditional approval for any date and time at any location. Then change to your desired date, time and location. If you are looking for a bonus time, schedule your appointment the day after your birthday. You shall receive 364 bonus days.

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en
I have been conditionally approved for a Trusted Traveler Program and would like to schedule an appointment for my interview.

If you filed your application using the TTP website, then the appointment can be scheduled on-line. Log in to the TTP website and click on the Schedule Interview button available on the Dashboard. After selecting an Enrollment Center, you will be able to select the date and time of the interview from a list of available interview time slots. After the interview has been confirmed, the status of your application will be changed to "Interview Scheduled."

When selecting an interview location, you have an option of how Enrollment Centers are displayed:

1. You can view Enrollment Center locations in the United States, Canada, etc.

2. You can search for the Enrollment Centers by soonest available appointment

3. You can search by a specified date to show all Enrollment Centers with availability

4. You can filter to show all the Enrollment Centers with at least one appointment by a certain day

Please note that appointment availability varies based on the demand at each Enrollment Center. Due to high application volume, some locations may not have available appointments. You may select any Enrollment Center with available dates to complete your enrollment interview.

You must complete enrollment within 365 days of receiving your conditional approval. Not scheduling and completing the interview will result in cancelation of the application and no refunds will be granted.

Nothing will happen to your Global Entry until you have activated your NEXUS card. Once you activated your NEXUS card, your Global Entry and Global Entry card will be deactivated. You can have either NEXUS or Global Entry, but not both at the same time.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:29 pm

I had read on this forum that "As an existing Global Entry member, one doesnt have to go through a CBP interview" and I can go to the IRIS scan directly without interview or something along these lines....Can someone aware of such discussion or information, please point me to that link?

The thread I remember was about an already approved Global Entry not having to repeat the CBP interview or something like that. Instead go directly to CBSA for Nexus interview

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.