Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Well still waiting for this to get done.

And the bummer on top is that Chase will reimburse GE or TSA Pre, but not Nexus which is cheaper & charged by the same biller. It's not super logical. I'll probably end up renewing GE just to get Chase to pay for it...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum, Hertz Platinum, Avis PC, Sixt Diamond
Taking similar approach as fellow posters.
Got my GE approval today and submitted application add NEXUS immediately.

Now the wait game begins, but at least I can start using GE now.
I assume having GE would speed up the NEXUS process, since the you're already approved by the U.S. side. We'll see how it goes.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EWEWR
I assume having GE would speed up the NEXUS process, since the you're already approved by the U.S. side. We'll see how it goes.
No it does not speed things up.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hi:

Sorry if this is covered in the thread; search is failing me...

I am currently enrolled in Global Entry and decided to renew by adding NEXUS to my membership. I just got the confirmation notice that NEXUS was approved (took about a month) but I see no mention of an interview; the notice says I can start using the program as soon as I receive and activate the NEXUS card. Can one get a NEXUS card without going to the enrollment center in person?

thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Hi:

Sorry if this is covered in the thread; search is failing me...

I am currently enrolled in Global Entry and decided to renew by adding NEXUS to my membership. I just got the confirmation notice that NEXUS was approved (took about a month) but I see no mention of an interview; the notice says I can start using the program as soon as I receive and activate the NEXUS card. Can one get a NEXUS card without going to the enrollment center in person?

thanks!
This indeed is quite odd. How much did you pay for your renewal? If you paid $100, then you renewed your Global Entry. If you paid $50, then your NEXUS was approved. NEXUS includes Global Entry privileges but not the other way around.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:35 am

I paid $50 and applied for NEXUS via the GOES website. My KTN/PASS ID remained the same.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I paid $50 and applied for NEXUS via the GOES website. My KTN/PASS ID remained the same.
Your Known Traveler Number/PASS ID does not change from Global Entry to NEXUS. Your NEXUS card is identical to your Global Entry card except name. You need to add iris scan if you travel by air into Canada.

My partner was trying to do the same thing as you a few months ago. He went through all the steps in the guideline twice and still could not accomplish this supposedly easy task. He could not find NEXUS anywhere on the renew page or simply just to apply for NEXUS on GOES website.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
This indeed is quite odd. How much did you pay for your renewal? If you paid $100, then you renewed your Global Entry. If you paid $50, then your NEXUS was approved. NEXUS includes Global Entry privileges but not the other way around.
There were reports last year of no NEXUS interview required for GE applicants adding NEXUS due to backlog.

However FlyinHawaiian will NOT be able to use NEXUS flying into Canada until iris is scanned by CBSA.

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 9, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hi:

Thanks for the above. I called the CBSA and read them the notice I received and was told that I don't need an interview and will be mailed a NEXUS card. I will also just need to walk into an Enrollment Center for an iris scan. The backlog issue explains why I don't need the interview.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Nexus Approval - No Interview Required?

Originally Posted by seawolf
In addition to what has been said earlier, NEXUS requires approval from both CBP and CBSA. If for some reason you had criminal record with Canadian law enforcement or was declared inadmissible or customs violations by CBSA, that may exclude you from NEXUS as far as Canada is concern.
Hi all,

I just received my notification for Nexus Approval on 8/13/17, after applying on 7/20/17. The date of expiry for the Trusted Traveler Program pushed out to my birthday of year 2023, giving me a full 5.5+ years of renewal!

It's worth noting that I was approved for Global Entry on 10/6/2012, and decided to apply for Nexus instead of renewing Global Entry. What surprised me is that I do not see anything requiring me to attend an in person interview for Nexus. In fact, the approval letter states, "Dear LRMERNST:

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), NEXUS program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new NEXUS card."

Can anyone else confirm that they did not need to interview with Nexus after applying while holding valid Global Entry status?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Was covered a couple of days ago. CBP/CBSA may opt to approve especially for GE members due to backlog. You will not be able to use NEXUS kiosk flying into a Canadian airport until your iris biometrics are recorded by CBSA.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Hi:

Thanks for the above. I called the CBSA and read them the notice I received and was told that I don't need an interview and will be mailed a NEXUS card. I will also just need to walk into an Enrollment Center for an iris scan. The backlog issue explains why I don't need the interview.
Great to hear this! Will you let me know of the outcome? I was in almost the exact same situation...

Was approved for Global Entry only in 2012. Last month I applied for Nexus, paid the $50 and yesterday I received an update within my GOES account portal that my application was approved. Unfortunately there is not any explanation about why an interview is or is not required, and there certainly is no mention of needing an iris scan at an enrollment center.

I'm flying into Montreal in two weeks, and I am curious as to how your situation plays out.

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:10 pm

Global Entry Expiration: January 2018
Paid/Applied for NEXUS: July 7, 2017
Approved w/o interview: August 9, 2017
Card arrived: August 14, 2017

The card I received is identical to my Global Entry card and has the same photo from five years ago. I activated it on the GOES website and am good to go. Based on @seawolf's helpful advice and speaking with CBSA, I will plan on going to an enrollment center (probably YYZ) and getting my iris scan completed before I can use NEXUS for airport arrivals.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 17, 2017 at 4:08 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum, Hertz Platinum, Avis PC, Sixt Diamond
Taking similar approach as fellow posters.
Got my GE approval today and submitted application add NEXUS immediately.

Now the wait game begins, but at least I can start using GE now.
Adding NEXUS to GE
Applied - 6/16/17
Conditional Approval - 7/28/17
Interview - 8/15/17 at YYZ
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Adding NEXUS to GE
You don't "add Nexus to GE", you are applying for Nexus, which if/when you are approved, REPLACES/SUPERSEDES your GE membership. Once approved for Nexus, your GE card is automatically invalid and your Nexus card provides everything GE provided plus everything Nexus provides. Your KTN stays the same of course.

You probably already know this, but it is a frequent point of confusion because people often think that since Nexus is $50 it must be somehow a subset of GE which costs $100. Nexus ($50) includes everything GE ($100) provides plus Canada privileges. Less is more, but you can't have both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.