Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by princesakura
Does anyone have experience switching to Nexus from GE while holding ABTC? Do you have to renew ABTC since your KTN changes?
No idea what ABTC is but both my wife and I switched from GE to Nexus about a year ago and out KTN did NOT change.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by princesakura
Does anyone have experience switching to Nexus from GE while holding ABTC? Do you have to renew ABTC since your KTN changes?
The KTN remains same when you upgrade to Nexus.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
No idea what ABTC is but both my wife and I switched from GE to Nexus about a year ago and out KTN did NOT change.
Originally Posted by greglvnv
The KTN remains same when you upgrade to Nexus.
Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: TSA Pre, Global Entry
My GE will be expiring next month (early February). I applied for renewal and chose the NEXUS option. Does anybody know if this is eligible to extend the grace period of two years, even though I'm going from GE to NEXUS? I'm anticipating a wait of 6 months minimum for conditional approval. My details were automatically inputted. Is this technically a new application or a renewal? Wait times are likely the same and I do understand needing to go to an in person interview at a NEXUS enrollment center.

Thanks all for the help!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by Shock
My GE will be expiring next month (early February). I applied for renewal and chose the NEXUS option. Does anybody know if this is eligible to extend the grace period of two years, even though I'm going from GE to NEXUS? I'm anticipating a wait of 6 months minimum for conditional approval. My details were automatically inputted. Is this technically a new application or a renewal? Wait times are likely the same and I do understand needing to go to an in person interview at a NEXUS enrollment center.

Thanks all for the help!
It isn’t really clear. I applied for NEXUS while a GE holder. Technically, you are not renewing GE. I was glad I was able to get my NEXUS completed before my GE expired and had to find out.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 2, 2022 at 9:39 pm Reason: Fix BB code
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
My GE will be expiring next month (early February). I applied for renewal and chose the NEXUS option. Does anybody know if this is eligible to extend the grace period of two years, even though I'm going from GE to NEXUS?
No grace period. Global Entry and NEXUS are two completely separate programs.

I'm anticipating a wait of 6 months minimum for conditional approval. My details were automatically inputted. Is this technically a new application or a renewal?
Brand spanking new application.

Wait times are likely the same and I do understand needing to go to an in person interview at a NEXUS enrollment center.

Thanks all for the help!
Currently no NEXUS appointment is available in the foreseeable future.

If TSA Precheck is important to you,
1. Renew your Global Entry before it expires. Which gives you two year grace period.
2. Or apply TSA precheck after your GE expires in Feb while waiting for your NEXUS conditional approval and final approval.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by ramcm7
It isn’t really clear. I applied for NEXUS while a GE holder. Technically, you are not renewing GE. I was glad I was able to get my NEXUS completed before my GE expired and had to find out.
Thanks. I hit the renew button and chose NEXUS so hopefully they give me the one year grace, even though it’s a separate application.

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
No grace period. Global Entry and NEXUS are two completely separate programs.

Brand spanking new application.

Currently no NEXUS appointment is available in the foreseeable future.

If TSA Precheck is important to you,
1. Renew your Global Entry before it expires. Which gives you two year grace period.
2. Or apply TSA precheck after your GE expires in Feb while waiting for your NEXUS conditional approval and final approval.
Website shows openings in Montana for 1/4/21, which presumably they are taking appointments.

Bummer on the brand spanking new. I did technically hit renew on the website so hopefully they give me the grace. If not, it’s not too big of a deal. I’m not a frequent traveler by any means. TSA PreCheck is somewhat important but if I’m anticipating approval for NEXUS, it doesn’t make sense to pay for TSA PreCheck in addition. I opted for NEXUS to save 50, and potentially hit up Canada more. I can deal with a security line once or twice in the next year. Hopefully by then everything is at least approved.

As an aside, would it make sense to renew GE to get the grace, and also as a fail safe should I not get approved for NEXUS for whatever reason?

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 3, 2022 at 9:06 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
As an aside, would it make sense to renew GE to get the grace, and also as a fail safe should I not get approved for NEXUS for whatever reason?
Only you can answer that question for yourself. Do you have a credit card that reimburses GE/TSA PreCheck application fee?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
It doesn't work like that. If you renew GE to get the grace period, that will cancel your NEXUS application. You cannot have GE and NEXUS memberships or applications active simultaneously.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
It doesn't work like that. If you renew GE to get the grace period, that will cancel your NEXUS application. You cannot have GE and NEXUS memberships or applications active simultaneously.
Darn. I guess worse comes to worse I can apply for TSA Pre again until Nexus goes through.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Replace Pending Global Entry Renewal with Nexus?

Nexus seems like a much better bet, if I understand it correctly. For half the cost (though credit cards cover it anyway), get all the benefits of GE plus expedited arrivals in Canada by air and by land. The only issue is that my GE renewal is in process. It was accepted, I paid, and I have the interview coming up in a month.

Since I don't believe you can have both products simultaneously, can I tell them I don't want to go ahead with the GE renewal, then initiate a Nexus application? I realize I would need to interview in Canada or near the Canadian border, which shouldn't be a problem. If this is feasible, would I need to cancel my current GE membership, which runs into June, to proceed?

Thanks....
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:38 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Since none of the NEXUS enrollment centers are currently scheduling interviews, it will almost certainly be a problem. There is no announced reopening date, so I wouldn't depend on it happening by June even if you could get conditional approval that quickly.

My suggestion is to stick with your current Global Entry renewal, and think about NEXUS as a future possibility.
Explore likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Explore
Since I don't believe you can have both products simultaneously, can I tell them I don't want to go ahead with the GE renewal, then initiate a Nexus application? I realize I would need to interview in Canada or near the Canadian border, which shouldn't be a problem. If this is feasible, would I need to cancel my current GE membership, which runs into June, to proceed?
You can have only one pending application, either a Global Entry renewal application or a NEXUS application. To apply for NEXUS, you would have to contact the CBP to cancel your renewal application before being able to submit a NEXUS applicaiton.

As CKDGM noted above, all NEXUS enrollment centers are currently closed. If I were in your situation, I would go ahead with the Global Entry renewal and submit a NEXUS application only after the Global Entry renewal application is approved. As long as you have a pending renewal application, you will continue to receive Global Entry benefits, including PreCheck, for up to 18 months pending the final approval of the renewal application. If you were to cancel the Global Entry renewal application, there will not be a grace period and you will lose the trusted travelers benefits on the current expiration date of your Global Entry membership.
Explore likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
You can have only one pending application, either a Global Entry renewal application or a NEXUS application. To apply for NEXUS, you would have to contact the CBP to cancel your renewal application before being able to submit a NEXUS applicaiton.

As CKDGM noted above, all NEXUS enrollment centers are currently closed. If I were in your situation, I would go ahead with the Global Entry renewal and submit a NEXUS application only after the Global Entry renewal application is approved. As long as you have a pending renewal application, you will continue to receive Global Entry benefits, including PreCheck, for up to 18 months pending the final approval of the renewal application. If you were to cancel the Global Entry renewal application, there will not be a grace period and you will lose the trusted travelers benefits on the current expiration date of your Global Entry membership.
Thanks, so followup question….once the GE interview is conducted, renewal has been fully approved, trucker protests have ceased and the NEXUS enrollment centers have re-opened, can I initiate a NEXUS application without waiting 5 years until GE expires again? Or will NEXUS be grayed out on the application form because I currently have GE?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Explore
Thanks, so followup question….once the GE interview is conducted, renewal has been fully approved, trucker protests have ceased and the NEXUS enrollment centers have re-opened, can I initiate a NEXUS application without waiting 5 years until GE expires again? Or will NEXUS be grayed out on the application form because I currently have GE?
I merged your questions into the main thread on this topic.

The NEXUS application button is currently grayed out because you have a pending Global Entry renewal application. You can not have two applications pending at the same time. Once you receive final approval of the Global Entry renewal, you will be able to apply for NEXUS.
Explore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.