Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaclantFlyer
CBP has been very clear about the extension of privileges, but CBSA has been very silent about it.
So yep, I've had no problems with Precheck+GE. The only thing I couldn't find clear info was entry into Canada.

The last info I saw started around here (direct link to post):
CBSA indicating renewals should be submitted before expiration to retain privileges.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ts-eng.html#s3

This aligns with guidance on TTP site which CBSA has outsourced to CBP to handle interaction with end user that privileges are extended during a renewal application in process. Entered Canada with a card printed with a expired date no problem.

Update: The datapoint posted back in March 2022 indicated membership expired in 2019. The extension policy up until recently was 24 months. If the spouse of that poster did attempt to use NEXUS in 2022, it’s likely it would have been truly expired by end of 2021 even with the 24 month renewal extension. That might have led to card being confiscated.
PaclantFlyer and DualityOfNam like this.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 5, 2022 at 10:29 am
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by divincenzo
I received my approval notification on August 9 and I'm still waiting for the new card.
That's definitely outside normal mailing times. Most DPs on receiving cards show about a week. Could it be lost or delivered elsewhere?

I'll be uber miffed if my card is not here for another month when I have waited over a year to get approval.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Titanium+LTG
Originally Posted by seawolf
CBSA indicating renewals should be submitted before expiration to retain privileges.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...ts-eng.html#s3
Thanks for that. I didn't think to look at the COVID page. My primary source was
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex...ouvel-eng.html
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Applied for renewal late January (2022). As of early September I'm still pending review.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
mrs_dergon reapplied in late of 2021 (with an expiry of Sept 2021) .... approval email notice just came through today.... more than a year.

Mine, otoh, took less than a month this winter ....
weird
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Misread the dates and mine expired last year. Renewed 5/28, conditional approval 9/8. I see interviews open in Detroit but not anything closer right now. Sure would be nice if the conditional changed to approved as above...
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:08 pm

Posting datapoint
Canadian citizen in Canada
- Card expired in 2018 (I was on a career sabbatical and not travelling)
- Applied for renewal on May 29, 2022
- Conditional approval received on Sept 8, 2022 with interview required

I managed to snag an interview for Oct 22 but am sitting on the website trying to get it a early afternoon appointment on weekends of September 17, 24, or Oct 1. I need to fly to get my interview done but one day return airfare on a discount carrier is under $90.

Meanwhile, my brother and sister in law had their near expired cards renewed within 6-8 weeks with no interview required.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG PLAT
My Nexus was due to expire this spring so I reapplied in Sept 2021.

Received conditional approval in Nov 2021 but there were no appointments available.

In July 22, I was able to finally schedule an appointment in Blaine, WA for Jan 23 but last month (Aug 22) noticed an appointment in Detroit that aligned with a trip I had coming up in October so I switched my interview appointment to Detroit.

Last week, I checked my account and noticed I received full approval from the Detroit center earlier that week and my scheduled interview appointment was cancelled. Overall, very glad it finally went through without an interview and don't have to worry about it again for a few more years
seawolf and rustykettel like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:35 pm

Here's my datapoint:
Expiry: August 2022

Applied for FIRST renewal: August 16, 2021
Full Approval: August 31, 2022 (380 days) (No Interview Required, Letterhead address place of interview: Ottawa Office)
Card Received: September 12, 2022
New expiry date on the system: August 2027
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:09 pm

Datapoint - first NEXUS renewal without changes to citizenships or primary residence but extensive travel in the last five years.
Expiry: July 2023
Renewal application: July 2022
Full approval with no interview required: September 2022 (44 days)
New expiry date: July 2028

Secondary datapoint, earlier in the year ABTC renewal was approved with no interview required within a minute of application.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:46 pm

Its been 35 days since my online approval notice and still no card in the mail.... should i be concerned?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:54 am

Expired card is still active and works fine until new card is activated. All the card does is to provide a pointer to signal CBSA systems (and CBP at land crossings) that there should be a NEXUS profile in their system; the profile itself is not on the card. Expiration date printed on the card is merely to reflect the expiration date on the NEXUS profile at the time of previous approval.

This is why when flying to US, the card is not needed at all by CBP (associated passport or facial recognition points to NEXUS profile).
The expired card did not work in 3 different Nexus kiosks in YYZ. After scanning card, it just went into an infinite spin. An agent came by and asked me to walk over to these much smaller white machines and scan it again. Still didn't work so just walked up to an agent at the window and presented my passport. On the way back, the Global Entry kiosk worked fine when I scanned my passport.

Originally Posted by divincenzo
Its been 35 days since my online approval notice and still no card in the mail.... should i be concerned?
I'm on day 17 post approval now and still no card. I hope this is not another trend in receiving new cards.
divincenzo likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
The expired card did not work in 3 different Nexus kiosks in YYZ. After scanning card, it just went into an infinite spin. An agent came by and asked me to walk over to these much smaller white machines and scan it again. Still didn't work so just walked up to an agent at the window and presented my passport. On the way back, the Global Entry kiosk worked fine when I scanned my passport.
Thanks for the data point. Sounds like there are issues at YYZ.

Originally Posted by OMCA
I just returned to Canada, landed in YYZ from LAX. Those newish kiosks have been a nightmare for me. My recent experiences included about half a dozen trans border flights during COVID, both using an old and renewed NEXUS card.

I have had everything from:
- successfully tapping my card, going through the motions and being on my way seamlessly;
- both tap feature and scan feature not working, proceeding to general passenger queue;
- tap feature of card not working, but scan of card working, proceeded to NEXUS designated agent;
- tap working, photo being taken, but then getting being told that the system is having problems identifying me, and spitting out a bare-bones customs declaration slip with nothing but my photo and name on it.

The last scenario is what just happened to me yesterday. I tried about four kiosks after that. The tap would work, I'd get the green checkmark on the screen, before instantly displaying a message that the system couldn't identify me. I had taken off my mask and glasses, so I have no idea why. A few passengers were getting through ok, but it seemed like there were more in a similar boat like myself, and frustrated at that. They went around the e-gates where an officer placed a mark on whatever slip they were handed and people went on their way, no questions asked.

After uncrumpling the paper slip that I had jammed into my pocket (thinking it was futile), I decided to try my luck going around the e-gates, hoping to see what the agent would tell me with what I thought was a useless slip. She ticked it like everyone else's and I was on my way. Very strange. It seems like they are still understaffed, and those kiosks seem extremely finicky. Has anyone else experienced the same recently? I have had zero consistency the past six trips.
DualityOfNam likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
If anyone has renewal data points for the Fort Erie enrollment center, please share. I know it's closed -- I'm looking for reports of any renewals that have the Fort Erie center address on the approval letter. TIA
Just a reminder: if anyone has received any kind of Nexus renewal approval (conditional or full) with an approval letter from the Fort Erie enrollment center, please post to let us know.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the data point. Sounds like there are issues at YYZ.
For sure, and it's probably unrelated to my expired card. Another thing I noticed, of the 20 or more Global Entry kiosks just before the CBP windows at YYZ, only about 5 were actually turned on. All others looked unplugged.

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
Just a reminder: if anyone has received any kind of Nexus renewal approval (conditional or full) with an approval letter from the Fort Erie enrollment center, please post to let us know.
I did, last month. See below:

Xyzzy and Wise Chaldean like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.